Martian Manhunter

Ultimo

So, I'm back at it, trying to adapt a version of a DC character to the game.  Martian Manhunter, with his MANY various abilities, is going to be really hard to do... so I'm hoping for some inspiration from the gallery.

Some of his abilities I feel can be "simulated" using some of the pools (eg. invisibility, flight, and psychic stuff).  His shapeshifting though, is probably not possible to do except with alternate costumes... and that doesn't need to relate to his AT or powers.

Manhunter is known more for his durability and physical strength.  Much of the time, these are his baseline powers... but I didn't want to just go blandly with invulnerability and super strength.  Also, in recent years, he's become known for his psychic abilities, so perhaps I can simulate his strength with pools like Fighting.

So... what do you all think?  How would you suggest building a character to resemble the Martian Manhunter?

Martians have so many powers a regular AT wouldn't give access to a fair bit of the powers.

I'd recommend:

Triform Peacebringer (Shape shifting, Flight, Speed, Agility, Reflexes, Stamina, Metabolism and Durability)

Taking these Peacebringer powers to cover the myriad of powers they get. 
 Glinting Eye (Heat Vision)
 Pulsar (Psionic Stun)
 Essence Boost (Regeneration)
 Reform Essence (Regeneration)
 Conserve Energy (Metabolism)
 Group Energy Flight (Mind Flight Control)
 Quantum Flight (Intangibility)

Pool Powers:

Speed (Hasten)
 Fighting (Boxing, Tough, Weave)
 Leadership (Maneuvers)
 Force of Will (Project Will (Telekinesis) Mighty Leap (Take Off for Super Strength), Wall of Force (Telepathic Assault,) Unleash Potential)

Sprint with Stealth IO.

Some of the abilities would have to be RP'ed, Telepathic link relay and Astral Projection.

Using the costume slots for shape shifting is a great idea. Using the animal heads (fish, birds, bull, wolf, big cats and monstrous) would work very well. Take the coyote and panther travel powers for even more shape shifting. Reveal for Telepathy.  All the team transport powers.

Remember that Martians powers are a natural origin. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, I tried him as a Peacebringer (I had one already at around L19), but it just didn't feel right.  Manhunter is more physical, and a Peacebringer is very blasty.  This led me to reconsider some of the other options.

I think he needs to be some kind of melee class, but with some psychic leaning... perhaps a Brute or Tanker?

I thought perhaps I should also describe the character's origins.  That is, he's based on Martian Manhunter, but he's not meant as a copy.  His powers and look will be similar, but here's his backstory, in broad strokes.

I have another character based on Green Lantern, called the Stellar Ranger.  The Stellar Rangers were like the Jedi, a force for good in the universe, but they became corrupt under the rule of a new Chancellor.  Some fled out into the galaxy, including one who came to Earth.  Pursued by the Chosen, former Stellar Rangers dedicated to the Chancellor, they fought and killed the fleeing Ranger, but a human fighter pilot (whose plane was brought down during the fight), took up the fallen Ranger's gauntlets and defeated the Chosen.

My new character is a bounty hunter from a race of bounty hunters.  He's one of many out there searching for these fugitive Stellar Rangers, and his search brought him to Earth.  Thinking that the human Stellar Ranger was actually the one he was hunting (when he was actually hunting the one who died), he comes into conflict with the new Ranger, causing a lot of damage, and leading the Chosen back to Earth.  To make up for his mistake, he joins forces with Earth's heroes to drive back the Chosen and the Chancellor.

So, he doesn't necessarily have to be natural origin, or Martian or anything like that... and his powers might be SLIGHTLY different, perhaps with an eye toward capturing enemies.

Anyway, just thought that might be helpful.

• Like 1

Psi Melee paired with Dark or Bio Armor?  Both sets have visually obscuring armors that could be close quarters shapeshifting.  Psi Melee is a fun set with telepathic fists, energy blades, and Mass Levitate which can easily be a mix of both Psi and Shapeshifting powers.  Plus Boggle!  (I've never used Boggle)

Plus with different costumes, mixing and matching armor colors with Min or No FX options can create some very different looks

Brute gives you your offensive powers faster but Tanker gets a huge Mass Levitate radius.  I feel like a Martian Manhunter Bounty Hunter is more Brute.  Get in, get the job done, and get out but perhaps not much more than by the skin of your teeth.  If you were more powerful you'd have a better job than bounty hunter.

Unlike Lobo who does his job for the fun of it and loves being able to tank a long fight, even though that's the very last thing a working bounty hunter (who gets paid per bounty!) would want to do

I've recreated him using Radiation Melee and Bio Armour at the moment.  I found Kinetic Melee a little too fancy, and Psi Melee was really static.  I've kind of liked Rad Melee so far, but we'll see how it goes.  The psi stuff can come from pools, I think.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later

So, I decided Bio Armour has too many effects that can't be suppressed.  I've revamped him with Dark Armour, but I'm having the same kind of problem, so many of the toggles have effects that are too obvious.  It's a shame, I feel like Dark Armour would be perfect, what with its invisibility and mental controls.

I might have to just go back to Willpower.  A shame, I have so many characters with that as it is.

• 2 weeks later

You could create macros to quickly swap costume slots to simulate the shape-shifting, and auras and powerset customization to simulate powers, then use whatever powersets you enjoy playing.

Play my AE Adventures, listed under @Jiro Ito, including award winners:

"The Headless Huntsman of Salamanca" #43870 **Scrapbot AE Contest Winner May 2022**           

"On the Claw-Tipped Wings of Betrayal" #43524 **November 2021 Dev's Choice**  

"The Defenders of Talos" #44578 **Mission Architect Competition Winner for October 2021: REBIRTH**  

• 2 weeks later
On 10/22/2022 at 4:13 AM, Ultimo said:

So, I decided Bio Armour has too many effects that can't be suppressed.  I've revamped him with Dark Armour, but I'm having the same kind of problem, so many of the toggles have effects that are too obvious.  It's a shame, I feel like Dark Armour would be perfect, what with its invisibility and mental controls.

I might have to just go back to Willpower.  A shame, I have so many characters with that as it is.

/bind [ "suppressclosefx 0"

/bind ] "suppressclosefx 1"

/suppressclosefxdist 17

Hit ] when you're playing that character, no visible particle effects from toggles, not even purple Defense shields or ToHit Buff swirling stars.  Change 17 according to your need, I keep my camera at that distance.  Hit [ when you're ready to log off, or bind it on your other characters and hit it when you log in.

• Thumbs Up 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

On 11/11/2022 at 6:25 PM, Luminara said:

/bind [ "suppressclosefx 0"

/bind ] "suppressclosefx 1"

/suppressclosefxdist 17

Hit ] when you're playing that character, no visible particle effects from toggles, not even purple Defense shields or ToHit Buff swirling stars.  Change 17 according to your need, I keep my camera at that distance.  Hit [ when you're ready to log off, or bind it on your other characters and hit it when you log in.

Does that hide the effects for everyone or just me?

On 9/9/2022 at 2:29 PM, Ultimo said:

I tried him as a Peacebringer

If you go with the fighting pool, that could give you a set of 5 melee attacks, (boxing, kick, cross punch, radiant strike, and incandescent strike), not to mention that white dwarf is primarily melee.  With the implementation of toggle suppression, you wouldn't have to worry about toggling tough and/or weave back on when form-switching.  I'd still take gleaming bolt and glinting eye, as they work in the forms as well, (1 per each form).  Alternatively, if you went with a warshade, you'd get a stealth and phase power w/o having to dip into any power pools, and could easily dip into the flight pool to get fly and air superiority as a melee attack, if you didn't want to go into the fighting pool.

I'd suggest going EM/BIO pick a Melee AT.  Grab Mighty Judgement.  I know you said to many effects, but it has a minimum FX option and it's abilities just feel like things he's done in at least JLU.

EM I RPed as Psi Melee before there was a Psi Melee.