Fire/Dark/Soul Corruptor Build Help

Hellclaw

11 hours ago, Hellclaw said:

This looks weird to me - no Inferno? I'm still tinkering on a new version of the original build, but I'm not looking for a budget build - I play the market enough to have a stable income.

Also have an honest question, to all present - does Rain of Fire actually make it into the final build? I originally chose it for the Scourge synergy, but (in normal content at least) it feels out of place for the pace of the game.

Potentially phrased in a different way, what kind of attack chain is considered "optimal" for Fire?

Can definitely swap Fire Breath or Rain for Inferno, their set bonuses can be similar (just push everything down one level).

Tar Patch helps with scatters from Rain.

I like the Snipes in my builds but cest la vie. A lot of playstyle choices are available when not looking for soft cap everything and the perfect gapless attack chain.

While it is an inexpensive build, the intention was to show a solid playable version that didn't overly chase defense and could have more expensive sets and Incarnates added later.

Edited by Troo
  • Thumbs Up 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

10 hours ago, Troo said:

Can definitely swap Fire Breath or Rain for Inferno, their set bonuses can be similar (just push everything down one level).

Tar Patch helps with scatters from Rain.

I like the Snipes in my builds but cest la vie. A lot of playstyle choices are available when not looking for soft cap everything and the perfect gapless attack chain.

While it is an inexpensive build, the intention was to show a solid playable version that didn't overly chase defense and could have more expensive sets and Incarnates added later.

Only using Flares and power pool attacks is "playable" but not effective.  And describing that build as "solid" is obscenely generous with no Snipe or Nuke... 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Doomguide2005 said:

It'll also be easier (in Hover) to do with Darkness Mastery rather than Soul Mastery.  The first is a 15ft radius (sphere) vs a 10ft radius.  Melee powers tend to have a 7ft range tops.  Of course if you're only 4 or 5ft above you're are probably still safer as less melee attacks overall are headed your way.  Many of the PBAoE attacks are (were??) Area, 'Typed'  like Spin or Whirling Sword are 8ft.

The only reason to take Soul Mastery over Dark Mastery is because of PB. 
If you can take soul drain from Dark and you do not want PB, then go dark mastery

• Thumbs Up 2

One doesn't need to get the expensive Winter or Purple IOs, but one also doesn't have to be a miser either (unless you are role playing Scrooge McDuck), but it's ok to spend a little more sometimes for a few unique IOs and ATO sets.  So Voilà...

This Villain build was built using Mids Reborn 3.2.17
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Corruptor
Primary Power Set: Fire Blast
Secondary Power Set: Dark Miasma
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Ancillary Pool: Dark Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Fire Blast -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(3), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(3), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(48)
Level 1: Twilight Grasp -- TchoftheN-Heal(A), TchoftheN-Acc/Heal(7), TchoftheN-Acc/EndRdx/Heal/HP/Regen(7)
Level 2: Fire Ball -- Bmbdmt-Dam(A), Bmbdmt-Acc/Rech/End(15), Bmbdmt-Dam/Rech(17), Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech(17), Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech/End(19), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(19)
Level 4: Tar Patch -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 6: Darkest Night -- EndRdx-I(A), EndRdx-I(21)
Level 8: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Ksm-ToHit+(21), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(23), Rct-ResDam%(23)
Level 10: Howling Twilight -- Artl-Acc/Dam(A), Artl-Dam/End(25), Artl-Dam/Rech(25), Artl-Acc/Dam/Rech(27), Artl-Acc/Rech/Rng(27), Artl-End/Rech/Rng(29)
Level 12: Aim -- GssSynFr--Build%(A), RechRdx-I(29)
Level 14: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 16: Shadow Fall -- TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx(A), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(31), TtnCtn-ResDam(31), TtnCtn-EndRdx(31), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(33), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(33)
Level 18: Blaze -- SprMlcoft-Acc/Dmg(A), SprMlcoft-Dmg/Rchg(33), SprMlcoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), SprMlcoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), SprMlcoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), SprMlcoft-Rchg/Dmg%(36)
Level 20: Tough -- TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx(A), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(36), TtnCtn-ResDam(36), TtnCtn-EndRdx(37), GldArm-3defTpProc(37)
Level 22: Weave -- RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(A), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(37), RedFrt-EndRdx/Rchg(39), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(39), RedFrt-Def(39), RedFrt-EndRdx(40)
Level 24: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(40)
Level 26: Blazing Bolt -- StnoftheM-Acc/Dmg(A), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx(40), StnoftheM-Acc/ActRdx/Rng(42), StnoftheM-Dmg/ActRdx/Rchg(42), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), StnoftheM-Dam%(43)
Level 28: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 30: Fly -- Empty(A)
Level 32: Inferno -- SprScrBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), SprScrBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), SprScrBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43), SprScrBls-Rchg/+End(45)
Level 35: Dark Consumption -- Acc-I(A)
Level 38: Dark Servant -- CldSns-ToHitDeb(A), CldSns-Acc/ToHitDeb(45), CldSns-Acc/Rchg(45), CldSns-ToHitDeb/EndRdx/Rchg(46), CldSns-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(46), CldSns-%Dam(46)
Level 41: Dark Embrace -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(47), UnbGrd-Max HP%(47), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(47)
Level 44: Soul Drain -- ScrDrv-Acc/Rchg(A), Arm-Acc/Rchg(48), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48)
Level 47: Evasive Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 49: Soul Transfer -- Prv-Absorb%(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Scourge 
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Swift -- Flight-I(A)
Level 1: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(9), Pnc-Heal/+End(9)
Level 1: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 1: Stamina -- PreOptmz-Acc/Rech(A), PreOptmz-EndMod/End(11), PreOptmz-EndMod/Rech(11), PreOptmz-EndMod/Acc/End(13), PreOptmz-EndMod/Acc/Rech(13), PreOptmz-EndMod/End/Rech(15)
Level 49: Quick Form 
Level 30: Afterburner 
Level 50: Born In Battle 
Level 50: High Pain Threshold 
Level 50: Invader 
Level 50: Marshal 
Level 50: Musculature Radial Paragon 
------------

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, FUBARczar said:

Only using Flares and power pool attacks is "playable" but not effective.  And describing that build as "solid" is obscenely generous with no Snipe or Nuke...

Oh my bad for not e-peening to your level.

My descriptions were "affordable and easily upgrade-able" NOT uber or the-best.

It's a different build than what you might shoot for, sure. It's also available by Level 48. (drop a slot from Twilight, Tar Patch, & Dark Consumption or elsewhere)

'Solid' to me is obviously different than to you.

To me by level 48, safe-ish at range (45+% R/E/N) and able to -tohit debuff (20 to 40+%) with 300-ish dps in 30s bursts seems fairly solid. Maybe you've long forgotten having just SOs.

Note: Fearsome Stare is pretty luxurious for casual solo play. For some, Fearsome Stare > Darkest Night. Together = comfy.

It is sometimes laughable to see T4s and Superior ATOs in the brag builds. No wonder Homecoming has become Farmville.

The build you posted last is fine. (the gap to 45% on many of the other defenses is larger than your -tohit when solo. Fluffy might cover)

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

4 hours ago, Troo said:

Oh my bad for not e-peening to your level.

My descriptions were "affordable and easily upgrade-able" NOT uber or the-best.

It's a different build than what you might shoot for, sure. It's also available by Level 48. (drop a slot from Twilight, Tar Patch, & Dark Consumption or elsewhere)

'Solid' to me is obviously different than to you.

To me by level 48, safe-ish at range (45+% R/E/N) and able to -tohit debuff (20 to 40+%) with 300-ish dps in 30s bursts seems fairly solid. Maybe you've long forgotten having just SOs.

Note: Fearsome Stare is pretty luxurious for casual solo play. For some, Fearsome Stare > Darkest Night. Together = comfy.

It is sometimes laughable to see T4s and Superior ATOs in the brag builds. No wonder Homecoming has become Farmville.

The build you posted last is fine. (the gap to 45% on many of the other defenses is larger than your -tohit when solo. Fluffy might cover)

It's not about "my level" or the IOs, it's purely about the omission of the snipe and nuke.  Leaving out the two most powerful attacks available to the character is what makes that build unsolidified.  

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later

For those involved, this was my final build that I'm currently rolling with. Performance is.... mixed. It's not doing quite what I want, end is a problem, and mezzes are a pain, but that's just from a solo perspective.

This Villain build was built using Mids Reborn 3.4.6
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Corruptor
Primary Power Set: Fire Blast
Secondary Power Set: Dark Miasma
Power Pool: Teleportation
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Dark Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Fire Blast -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(3), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(3), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(7), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(9), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(13)
Level 1: Twilight Grasp -- TchoftheN-Acc/Heal(A), TchoftheN-Acc/EndRdx/Heal/HP/Regen(11), TchoftheN-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(11)
Level 2: Fire Ball -- Artl-Acc/Dam(A), Artl-Dam/End(5), Artl-Acc/Dam/Rech(5), SprScrBls-Acc/Dmg(7), SprScrBls-Dmg/Rchg(9), SprScrBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(13)
Level 4: Tar Patch -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 6: Teleport -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(50)
Level 8: Darkest Night -- DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb(A), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(15), DarWtcDsp-Slow%(15), DarWtcDsp-ToHitdeb/Rchg/EndRdx(25)
Level 10: Howling Twilight -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 12: Aim -- GssSynFr--Build%(A)
Level 14: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 16: Shadow Fall -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(17), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(17), LucoftheG-Def(23), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(23), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(40)
Level 18: Blaze -- SprMlcoft-Acc/Dmg(A), SprMlcoft-Dmg/Rchg(19), SprMlcoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), SprMlcoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21), SprMlcoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21), SprMlcoft-Rchg/Dmg%(25)
Level 20: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(34)
Level 22: Tough -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(42), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(42), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(40), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(31)
Level 24: Weave -- RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(A), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(31), RedFrt-EndRdx/Rchg(37), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(37), RedFrt-Def(37), RedFrt-EndRdx(40)
Level 26: Blazing Bolt -- StnoftheM-Acc/Dmg(A), StnoftheM-Dam%(27), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(27), SprScrBls-Rchg/+End(29), SprScrBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(29), SprScrBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(31)
Level 28: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(36), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(36), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(36), LucoftheG-Def(42), Rct-ResDam%(48)
Level 30: Teleport Target -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 32: Inferno -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(33), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(33), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), Obl-%Dam(34)
Level 35: Oppressive Gloom -- AbsAmz-ToHitDeb%(A)
Level 38: Dark Consumption -- PreOptmz-Acc/Rech(A), PreOptmz-EndMod/Rech(39), PreOptmz-EndMod/End(39), PreOptmz-EndMod/Acc/End(39), PreOptmz-EndMod/Acc/Rech(46), PreOptmz-EndMod/End/Rech(46)
Level 41: Dark Embrace -- GldArm-End/Res(A), GldArm-RechRes(43), GldArm-RechEnd(43), GldArm-Res/Rech/End(43), GldArm-ResDam(46), GldArm-3defTpProc(48)
Level 44: Soul Drain -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(45), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(45), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(45), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(48)
Level 47: Soul Transfer -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 49: Fold Space -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Scourge 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Health -- Prv-Absorb%(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(50)
Level 1: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(50)
Level 49: Quick Form 
Level 50: Intuition Radial Paragon 
------------

image.png.29996e7506e8ed8f5125f29f6b3c95cb.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Consider taking Rain of Fire and Tar Patch.  Both, iirc, can be used from behind cover by using your camera to view the target location.

Drop Tar Patch first which slows them considerably, aggros them and they'll start running in slo-mo towards you.  Now drop RoF on them, a little more slow, damage (DoT) and most importantly 'Avoid'.  Now they're ignoring you and trying to flee the area thanks to the Avoid.  Step out from cover and light them up and/or close quickly and fire off Soul Drain and/or Inferno or pull out a newspaper while they burn.  RoF has 'Avoid' which limits their return fire.  Less shots, less chance to get past your defense(s) means less damage.

One way to close quickly since you have the Teleport pool is Combat Teleport.  Up your stealth rating and pop into their midst.  Then depending on if your feeling frisky use RoF first.  Again Avoid kicks in and they start fleeing.  Slight problem as the slow in RoF is weak so scatter is greater than dropping Tar Patch first (vastly superior slow movement).  Other choices like Soul Drain or Inferno first have no Avoid or Slow so use when you're feeling especially frisky or working on your debt badges 😉 

Edit:  Be sure to toggle off OG before teleporting in stealthy as it'll almost immediately notify the mob of your presence 

Edited by Doomguide2005
Afterthought

On 9/28/2022 at 8:56 PM, Hellclaw said:

For those involved, this was my final build that I'm currently rolling with. Performance is.... mixed. It's not doing quite what I want, end is a problem, and mezzes are a pain, but that's just from a solo perspective.

Looking good!

I'm surprised you dropped Dark Servant. I just hit 50 with my DP/Dark, so I've been playing a lot of Dark recently, and I have to say I notice a big difference when Fluffy is at my back and when he's not. He picks up aggro, debuffs targets, and fires off frequent heals. You might try swapping one of your teleport powers or Soul Transfer for Fluffy... I've found he's worth it. Probably even not slotted he'll do work (but better slotted).

Also I'd consider adding Fearsome Stare back in, maybe slotted with one accuracy (again, maybe for one of the teleports or the Soul Transfer). Solo, FS is such a great damage mitigator, PLUS it debuffs foes' to-hit (to the point where your melee def will be soft-capped). Maybe Fluffy and Stare, even minimally slotted, will give you more mileage than some other powers.

The mezzes are real. I combine my inspirations into lucks and break-frees in about a 3:2 ratio. Since, between the lucks and Fearsome Stare, my ranged and melee defenses stay effectively soft-capped, that keeps the mezzes down enough that I generally have a break-free when I need one.

GLHF!

1 hour ago, Doomguide2005 said:

... Then depending on if your feeling frisky use RoF first.  Again Avoid kicks in and they start fleeing.  Slight problem as the slow in RoF is weak so scatter is greater than dropping Tar Patch first (vastly superior slow movement).  Other choices like Soul Drain or Inferno first have no Avoid or Slow so use when you're feeling especially frisky or working on your debt badges 😉      

I think you had it right when you said Tar Patch first. It's got the better slow to keep them bunched, but ALSO it adds -res, meaning more damage. I generally try to corner-pull foes into my Tar Patch, then unload all my damage on them while they're in it.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, robopop said:

I think you had it right when you said Tar Patch first. It's got the better slow to keep them bunched, but ALSO it adds -res, meaning more damage. I generally try to corner-pull foes into my Tar Patch, then unload all my damage on them while they're in it.

👍👍 

And if you pull, Darkest Night will debuff them nicely (-damage and -to hit), piss them off royally and let them stack up nicely on the Tar Patch to get ... defeated promptly.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Consider taking Rain of Fire and Tar Patch.  Both, iirc, can be used from behind cover by using your camera to view the target location.

Drop Tar Patch first which slows them considerably, aggros them and they'll start running in slo-mo towards you.  Now drop RoF on them, a little more slow, damage (DoT) and most importantly 'Avoid'.  Now they're ignoring you and trying to flee the area thanks to the Avoid.  Step out from cover and light them up and/or close quickly and fire off Soul Drain and/or Inferno or pull out a newspaper while they burn.  RoF has 'Avoid' which limits their return fire.  Less shots, less chance to get past your defense(s) means less damage.

One way to close quickly since you have the Teleport pool is Combat Teleport.  Up your stealth rating and pop into their midst.  Then depending on if your feeling frisky use RoF first.  Again Avoid kicks in and they start fleeing.  Slight problem as the slow in RoF is weak so scatter is greater than dropping Tar Patch first (vastly superior slow movement).  Other choices like Soul Drain or Inferno first have no Avoid or Slow so use when you're feeling especially frisky or working on your debt badges 😉 

Edit:  Be sure to toggle off OG before teleporting in stealthy as it'll almost immediately notify the mob of your presence 

I do take Tar Patch, too good to pass up, but Rain of Fire didn't make the cut - put my reasoning in an earlier post but basically it just feels out of tune with the pace of the game. Like, would I like it in an MSR? Sure. But that's one of the few scenarios where I can imagine getting full use of it - normally things are dead much earlier, or other's don't appreciate the scatter (even if it's a slow scatter thanks to Tar Patch).

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Hellclaw said:

I do take Tar Patch, too good to pass up, but Rain of Fire didn't make the cut - put my reasoning in an earlier post but basically it just feels out of tune with the pace of the game. Like, would I like it in an MSR? Sure. But that's one of the few scenarios where I can imagine getting full use of it - normally things are dead much earlier, or other's don't appreciate the scatter (even if it's a slow scatter thanks to Tar Patch).

I get it.  Most of my response was aimed at the solo comment portion of the post.  If you're teamed the vast majority of the time I can see it being difficult to lay down both before it's "foes obliterated" by team.   At that point it's a question of the potential for a second build with soloing in mind.  Survival on a large team is typically more about the timing on when to jump in and any number of factors involved there.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, robopop said:

Looking good!

I'm surprised you dropped Dark Servant. I just hit 50 with my DP/Dark, so I've been playing a lot of Dark recently, and I have to say I notice a big difference when Fluffy is at my back and when he's not. He picks up aggro, debuffs targets, and fires off frequent heals. You might try swapping one of your teleport powers or Soul Transfer for Fluffy... I've found he's worth it. Probably even not slotted he'll do work (but better slotted).

Also I'd consider adding Fearsome Stare back in, maybe slotted with one accuracy (again, maybe for one of the teleports or the Soul Transfer). Solo, FS is such a great damage mitigator, PLUS it debuffs foes' to-hit (to the point where your melee def will be soft-capped). Maybe Fluffy and Stare, even minimally slotted, will give you more mileage than some other powers.

The mezzes are real. I combine my inspirations into lucks and break-frees in about a 3:2 ratio. Since, between the lucks and Fearsome Stare, my ranged and melee defenses stay effectively soft-capped, that keeps the mezzes down enough that I generally have a break-free when I need one.

GLHF!

Fluffy... Idk. It was hard to gauge his impact. On incarnate content I was either losing him, seeing him getting killed, or honestly forgetting that I had him as an option in the middle of all the blasting. The occasional heal from him was nice, since I'm pretty weak in that department... I'll probably just end up just doing a second build with him included, along with Fearsome Stare.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 11 months later