Help with a pet-based keybind

Generator

Hey folks,

So I'm trying to put together a keybind on my Robots/Elec MM.  What I'd like to do is, without resorting to bind_load files, have a single key (the G key) select one of my Robot pets, and fire off Rejuvenating Circuit. 

(Caveat: right now I'm going from memory, as I'm not at my game PC.  I can supply more detail tonight.)

The basic functionality kind of works; I strung together "pet_select 0$$powexec_name Rejuvenating Circuit", but that then requires two keypresses, once to select and again to fire off the heal.

To make it work with a single keypress, I think I put a + in front of the pet_select command (as I said, I'll verify this part tonight).  My slash command syntax knowledge is a little rusty so I forget what the "+" is actually doing, but that got me both on one keypress.

The only catch I was finding with that version was, it wasn't working when I had a foe selected.  So I had to add an unselect command at the front of the string.  I believe the current string looks like: "+unselect$$pet_select 0$$powexec_name Rejuvenating Circuit" (again, I swear I'll confirm tonight).  Now, that actually does everything I want it to do, but the game balks at my syntax.  It says the unselect wants no arguments, and got 1.

If I have to live with it like this, with the sloppy syntax, so be it, but if there's something to be done to make this cleaner, I'd really appreciate your help.

(My plan for end-state is, instead of having this be directly on a keybind, to have the bind open a popmenu, which then lets me vary which pet I select.  Right now I'm only doing pet_select 0 until I nail down the proof of concept.  When I've got it working the way I want, I'll put together the whole popmenu.)

Thanks for your time, folks!

Generator

57 minutes ago, Generator said:

I forget what the "+" is actually doing

The '+' placed before a command tells the game to execute that command while the key is pressed. It's usually used in movement binds, as below, but can be used in other binds as well.

/bind W "+forward"

I have run into some cases (like this one, and another one) where using the '+' modifier in a string of commands causes strange issues, and my takeaway was that, if you want to use the '+' modifier, it's best to keep the bind to a single command (as above). There is, however, a slight variation of syntax that allows one to create press-release binds, as documented in this thread, and that might be something worth looking into as a possible solution.

Binds usually (but certainly not always) execute right-to-left, so you might also try reversing the order of your original bind to see if that creates more acceptable bind behavior. If it were me, I'd get rid of the '+' modifier and try reversing the order of commands as a first step. If that doesn't work, then a press-release bind might be your best bet. Unfortunately I don't have game access at the moment either, so I can't give a more definitive answer, but hopefully this info will get you closer to an ideal solution.

• Thanks 1

Hey, first off, thanks for replying.  👍

I think the plus sign, like you said, was to make the two actions work at the press and release of the bound key.  I'd have to check that tonight.

I'll also check the execution order tonight, like you suggested.

Thanks a ton!

OK, so looking at the Press-release bind link you gave, what might be the issue is that there needs to be a concatenate string ($$) between the + and the other commands?  The servers just went down for maintenance but I'll check into this when they're back up.

Much appreciated!

I did a little testing on Brainstorm just now and I tried a lot of different combos of unselect, pet_select 0, and powexec_name Rejuvenating Circuit, but I couldn't find a combination or order with just those commands (i.e. not using the '+' sign) to replicate the desired behavior as described in the OP.

I followed the syntax as described in the press-release keybind thread and was able to create a keybind that seems to produce the desired results, including selecting a pet even if a foe is currently selected. The syntax is:

/bind <key> "+$$pet_select 0$$powexec_name Rejuvenating Circuit"

Hey there,

So I fooled around with that some yesterday.  I'll double-check what I came up with vs what you've got there, but I couldn't get mine to reliably fire off the power.  Honestly though, even if I don't, I was getting enough value from the popmenu-driven petselect that this still puts me ahead of where I was with this.

Thanks very much for your help working on this.  have a good day.

Generator