Blaster vs Corruptor

Diantane

5 hours ago, Pyriold said:

It's not hard to make a decently tanky blaster if you do a ranged one. Take hover, get close to soft cap on ranged defense... and you are mostly covered. There will be circumstances where you will still splat easily (basically where you can not hover away), but overall you wont die much.

Melee blasters have a much harder time to become somewhat tanky. I do have one, but that takes a lot more effort.

When you say it takes a lot more effort to make a tanky Blaster, what exactly IS that effort?   I've attempted blapper builds but I never get them off paper because I can't get the numbers to a point where I would be confident it would survive in melee.  The closest I've come has been on a rad/rad/dark Corruptor, where Choking Cloud and Oppressive Gloom make it 1 vs 1 with 13 spectators, but even that is a little janky because all it takes is 1s of mez and it's all over.

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

3 minutes ago, roleki said:

When you say it takes a lot more effort to make a tanky Blaster, what exactly IS that effort?   I've attempted blapper builds but I never get them off paper because I can't get the numbers to a point where I would be confident it would survive in melee.  The closest I've come has been on a rad/rad/dark Corruptor, where Choking Cloud and Oppressive Gloom make it 1 vs 1 with 13 spectators, but even that is a little janky because all it takes is 1s of mez and it's all over.

Make a */Ice Manipulation Blaster. Take Frigid Protection and Ice Patch. Profit!

Edited by Frostbiter
  • Thumbs Up 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

44 minutes ago, roleki said:

Incarnates and other options can make getting mezzed a non or at least lesser issue.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

2 hours ago, Without_Pause said:

Incarnates and other options can make getting mezzed a non or at least lesser issue.

Oh, I do all that, Clarion, Boosters, and so on.  If something is going to blow ME up, they're going to have to work at it.  But I still don't like the def/res I can get on a blapper.  I'm going to take @Frostbiter's suggestion and try /Ice, maybe that's where it will make sense.

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

5 hours ago, roleki said:

I've attempted blapper builds but I never get them off paper because I can't get the numbers to a point where I would be confident it would survive in melee. 

Elec/Elec/Power has decent holds, plus the End drain DOES limit the mobs to "milling around" while they recharge, which drastically lowers the inbound DPS once you've sapped everything (but, not all mobs stick to the same rules when it comes to Endurance and attacking, be mindful!) Short Circuit and Power Sink one after the other, properly slotted, will usually empty the tanks on an entire spawn if you position yourself right, but it does mean jumping right into the middle of the spawn.

Hover AND Evasive Maneuvers running together get you Defense, immob/knockback protection, precise maneuvering, and the boost in Hover speed (sadly Evasive's Defense buff cuts out when you enter combat. Grr.)   

Dynamo is basically the elec blapper Provoke PBAoE, not only does it raise regen and recovery rates on you, it's a constant DoT (and a minor End Drain). 

Chain up Static charges and throw a Tesla Cage, and you get an chained damage effect to nearby mobs, as well as your target getting locked up.  

That said... always carry a breakfree!  Inner Inspiration is your friend. 

The concept of "Damage Mitigation" on a blapper isn't to deflect or absorb or heal the damage coming in, but shut it down outright, fast, either by stealing all the energy, knocking things down, stunning or immobilizing melee'ers, locking mobs into holds, or (my personal favorite) making them ded.  Ice is similar to Elec, in that it debuffs Recharge and thus slows down the inbound damage.  I tried doing a Seismic blapper build, which seemed okay at damage mitigation with the knockdowns, but it was less consistent than my Elec build. Plus it felt more like a Controller set, but with less control and more hitting things with rocks.

Blapper Credo: "Repo Man spends his life getting INTO tense situations."

Edited by MistressOhm
  • Thumbs Up 1

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!

Blaster has a Melee 1.0 and Ranged 1.125 Damage Scale while a Corruptor has a Melee 0.75 and a Ranged 0.75 Damage Scale.

Otherwise they both have the same 500% damage cap, note 100% of that is the base, so in game at the damage cap you'll see a bonus of 400%.

So without buffs or enhancements a 100 point ranged attack on a blaster will do 112.5 points of damage, while the Corruptor does 75 points with the same attack. When they use buffs a blaster will continue to pull ahead in a vacuum than a corruptor unless that corruptor has either damage capped themselves or reduced the target's resistance enough to compensate for the damage scale. On a team the blaster will benefit from fulcrum shift or resistance debuffs just like the Corruptor. The Corruptor will not benefit from the Blaster's attacks (unless they are reducing resistance as well).

That said both AT's can be built to be extremely sturdy however depending on Powerset the Corruptor will have an easier time due to buffs to it's resistance/defense in the secondary.

The Corruptor is a force multiplier much the same way a Defender is, where a Blaster is at it's core damage. A team of 8 Corruptors on a 4 Star ITF is going to get a lot farther than a team of 8 Blasters (assuming we're not staggering Barriers and other Destiny powers).

• Thumbs Up 1

Can't mez me if you're dead, out of end or mezzed first.  Pretty much the same as a Corruptor.  The real difference is the order of occurrence.  A Blaster will start at the if you're dead end of things while Corruptors will tend more towards the if you're mezzed (or debuffed) first moving to the if you're dead end of the equation.

Fire/Nrg mine started at range, moving into melee as the chaff died to finish with Bonesmasher using either stuns or kb/kd to handle survivors.

Elec/Fire right into melee, lots of PBAoE death with end drain added in.  Defense more important as less ranged death dealing as the Fire/Nrg.

My Corruptors rarely "blapped" though several happily got in close.  Especially the Traps Corruptors though I wouldn't consider dropping traps as true blapping.  Still much the same risk involved using Poison Trap and toe bombing in terms of exposure.  Ice/Dark might move in but by then things were held, immobilized, slowed, to hit, damage and recharge debuffed if nothing else. 

And while neither a Blaster nor a Corruptor my Emp/Rad Defender lived in melee saying hello with Irradiate, Cosmic Burst, and Air Superiority.  Her protection was RA×2, stun (Cosmic Burst + Oppressive Gloom), Dark Embrace.