What I won't be playing...

Oubliette_Red

2 hours ago, Ironblade said:

I guess because of the involvement of NCSoft.

Assuming it even happens.  The MMO is "reportedly in the works".

Ah, that's actually a valid point.  NCSoft is not one to sell an MMO when they tire of it.

Also, surely Sony is not thinking of putting an MMO version out in 3.5 years?  Unless tactics have changed, I hear it takes twice that long to develop a new MMO properly.  Then again, if they're using the materials from their last Horizon game, that might shave off time.

• 1 month later
On 11/9/2022 at 7:56 PM, Oubliette_Red said:

Horizon Zero Dawn MMO | Sony | NCsoft

Horizon_Zero_Dawn_sm.jpg.bcd3cf5ac398f019c909953e6b9f8305.jpg

Almost confused at what you were trying to say because Horizon MMO actually sounds cool, but seeing those red highlight on NCsoft and then I go...

Oh.

Oh dear.

Heroes, villains, no problem.

Have some cookies, you're welcome. 😄

Cookies.jpg.2b22cf3d06af9c1b815c84046ae060bb.jpg

1 hour ago, Robin1996ify said:

Almost confused at what you were trying to say because Horizon MMO actually sounds cool, but seeing those red highlight on NCsoft and then I go...

Oh.

Oh dear.

I was excited about it as well when I heard about it, until I saw NCsoft. Nope.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

• 4 weeks later

There's no way it will be as engaging as CoH so I doubt the feelings will be the same. CoH is special not because it's an MMO, but because it's an MMO that allows you to put your mind and feelings into it like no other. Who gets attached to Shiny Paladin #35478790? Just make another Shiny Paladin somewhere else. This game will be as replacable as any of its peers.

• 3 weeks later
On 1/10/2023 at 10:56 AM, Dugunthi said:

There's no way it will be as engaging as CoH so I doubt the feelings will be the same. CoH is special not because it's an MMO, but because it's an MMO that allows you to put your mind and feelings into it like no other. Who gets attached to Shiny Paladin #35478790? Just make another Shiny Paladin somewhere else. This game will be as replacable as any of its peers.

You've an interesting take on COH.  What would you say would be needed by any future MMO, regardless of the subject theme, to achieve such a connection with the player?

On 1/10/2023 at 9:56 AM, Dugunthi said:

For me, the connection is more with the people I play with than the MMO itself. Yes, CoH affords the ability to make endless character iterations possible, with only your imagination as a limitation (for the most part). But if it wasn't for the people that I met and played countless hours with over the course of years, I don't I would have stayed with CoH any longer that I did with EQ (3 months) or DDO (1 month) back in the day.

Currently I do play DDO with some friends and it seems like every day I play I come across stupid design decisions in the game, so often that I quit saying "That's so stupid." and say "That's so DDO." instead. But I play because I enjoy playing with my friends. Which reminds me that I need to spend more time in CoH with my friends here, RL has gotten me down and I've become unsociable.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

• 2 weeks later
On 1/28/2023 at 11:30 AM, Techwright said:

You've an interesting take on COH.  What would you say would be needed by any future MMO, regardless of the subject theme, to achieve such a connection with the player?

I think they've said sort of the same thing that's been said about COH rather often.

COH (despite inventions and incarnates) is not a "gear" game, and it's not a "grind" game. Attempts to add that on (see: Incarnates) have felt out of place. You're not "ShinyPaladin#09871208" because... you're not. You create your look and backstory and it's *yours.* I played since issue 3 to shutdown, and I can only distinctly remember *one* time someone had come up with the same (or close to the same) costume as me.

My characters were (and are) *mine,* bio and look and personality, not a set of stats to hang the gear I *need* to get through the next few levels (and discard afterward for the next shiny... which probably WILL involve grinding killing 50 mutantdemonbats for bat nostrils for crafting ingredients blah blah blah.) Plus, it grew "out" instead of "up," partly because you could add stories at all levels versus having to tack on ever-more-powerful gear that needed yet another higher level cap - which required adding more grind to keep people subscribed so they could get onto a raid that you'd be rejected if you weren't the right class with the right gear for, etc, etc, etc.

COH was created by a bunch of people who ... really didn't know what they were doing, and made a bunch of happy mistakes that made a really one of a kind game (and community.)

• Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.