Require poll for suggestion topics

Sirius.Games

Should a poll be required for suggestions?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Should suggestion posts require a poll response?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/22/22 at 05:01 PM

Suggestions are helpful but can devolve into a few people voicing their thoughts or arguing making it difficult to track the actual response.

Requiring a poll in my thoughts would:

Reduce the barrier to sharing overall thoughts

Allow for a quick reference as suggestions die off

Remove the reaction of thumbs up or down as the primary method of showing where your thoughts are on the matter

Make the devs more likely to see the forum opinion on a topic instead of just the idea (they have limited time to read through all our nonsense)

It would also provide a screen for those who read and follow forum rules regarding suggestions.

Any other thoughts on how to improve suggestions that would make the devs lives easier to parse out what players want?

• Thumbs Down 3

As we can't read the minds of others, we also can't create simplistic one-click options which encompass the full range of responses.  Attempting to do so merely restricts the respondents to pre-defined answers, creating that "echo chamber" that people have mentioned elsewhere on the forums recently.  Consequently, it restricts or denies people who don't have a response which matches the poll options, and it can be used in a manipulative manner to control discussions or game direction by preventing people from speaking on the topic.  And it stifles creativity.  A discussion about a suggestion can lead to interesting new thoughts and ideas, and even if that isn't always how it works out, the potential still exists, potential which would be excised by paring the responses down to a single click.

Also, website suggestions and feedback belong in the Website Suggestions & Feedback forum.  Which, you will note, wasn't one of the options presented in your poll.

• Like 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

No thanks.  Even with some really bad ideas, there shouldn't be a barrier to entry for posting it - even the need for a yes/no poll.  It basically would be just a reskinned thumbs up/ thumbs down, and people may use that instead of actually clarifying and giving their thoughts.

• Thumbs Up 2

Kheldian backstory guide 2.0 is out.

I do find it interesting that the thumbs up/down hasn't been used but more people have voted than have commented on it. Oddly supporting my reasoning while being against it.

Also poll manipulation for answers or to skew things I would assume the devs if reading suggestions would be able to see it and take it for what it is.

In the spirit of the suggestion and bringing forth new ideas how can the community improve/change to improve the games development and overall engagement or fun?

It's easy to have a wishlist or suggestion but harder to turn the spotlight back at the player and ask them to be a part of bettering a game.

10 minutes ago, PoptartsNinja said:

People can put polls on if they want; and can leave them off if they don't.

Requiring them to put in a poll to make a suggestion is unnecessary. Some things don't have a binary yes/no question. How would a poll help the powerset recycling thread?

It would be a preeeetty big poll not gonna lie

2 hours ago, PoptartsNinja said:

People can put polls on if they want; and can leave them off if they don't.

Requiring them to put in a poll to make a suggestion is unnecessary. Some things don't have a binary yes/no question. How would a poll help the powerset recycling thread?

I would say the power set recycling thread isn't a suggestion. It's a lot of suggestions rolled into one. As for a poll it could simply be should the devs prioritize recycling assets to expand power sets.

You dont have to put yes/no for the polls and an ongoing discussion of power set recycling is different than a one off suggestion. I would love to see x controller and here's how it could be done using in game assets is a suggestion.

It definitely gets more people to share their opinions though. Up to 9 responses to 5 replies.

Also it reflects what typically happens when the first few people disagree in a discussion, supporters don't support but they do through the poll. I wonder how many suggestions people share die on the vine because of the initial reactions.

The Suggestions and Feedback forum is open-ended to allow for people to post their ideas (and even feedback!) in a manner that encourages open discussion and resolution. Requiring a poll tends to limit such discussion. Especially since the polls can be set up to preclude dissenting voices.

Then you have the discussion side. Some suggestions are there looking for discussion to see ways that can improve the game. It's not a yes/no thing. It's a "Here's my idea, what do the rest of you think and how can it be improved?" thing. And having a poll reduces that open discussion to the poll.

If an author wants a poll in his/her thread? (S)he can put a poll in his/her thread. Mandating a poll for all suggestions is bascially imposing your personal view/bias on how things should be done.

Edit: And yeah, this is the wrong forum for this topic. This should be on the Website Suggestions and Feedback forum at this link: https://forums.homecomingservers.com/forum/63-website-suggestions-feedback/

Edited by Rudra
Edited to correct poor word choices.