One Scrapper to Rule Them All

One IV All

• 1 month later

Messing around with Scraps had me pull out this old staple: Dark Melee/Shield Defense. HONESTLY, it's tough for me to think of a more synergistic pair, and really I don't know if there is anything in the game that it can't do/wouldn't be a good addition to a team for. They go together like peanut butter and jelly. So, as the OP said, a true "One Scrapper to Rule Them All." Also, my caveat: I'm not saying that it is the absolute very best in every scenario. I'm just saying that the scenarios where it wouldn't be a good choice are few and fair between.

For my build, I have all my positions softcapped for defense, but I'm also running body mastery for focused accuracy and physical protection. While both are good, idk if I'm leaving too much damage on the floor by not having a snipe. If any others have builds they'd like to share for this combo, I'd love to get some ideas/see what ways you went about building it!

Edited by StriderIV
Spelling

I'd have to agree that DM/SD is probably one of the most well rounded combos you can have. 

Especially if (not sure here) the -to hit in DM is actually debuffs their To Hit and not their Accuracy. If it debuffs To Hit, then the enemies that have a naturally higher base To Hit can be brought down to a 5% chance to hit you if you're softcapped (and why wouldn't you be with Shield?). 

Pair that with the fact that the second strongest ST attack in DM is also a self heal and you've got a pretty solid toon that shouldn't run across many things that it can't at least hold its own with. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ClawsandEffect said:

I'd have to agree that DM/SD is probably one of the most well rounded combos you can have. 

Especially if (not sure here) the -to hit in DM is actually debuffs their To Hit and not their Accuracy. If it debuffs To Hit, then the enemies that have a naturally higher base To Hit can be brought down to a 5% chance to hit you if you're softcapped (and why wouldn't you be with Shield?). 

Pair that with the fact that the second strongest ST attack in DM is also a self heal and you've got a pretty solid toon that shouldn't run across many things that it can't at least hold its own with. 

Well said, and much more eloquently than me 😂

One of my hang ups now is the reworked Touch of Fear. I don’t currently have it, but since it’s AOE now, it could be nice. I hear it’s proc friendly.

On 3/20/2023 at 7:15 PM, ClawsandEffect said:

Dark melee does debuff to-hit.

Unfortunately, you're kinda backwards: it would be a nicer pairing with defense sets like Shield if it debuffed accuracy instead.  (As far as I know, nothing debuffs accuracy).

Basically, moderate accuracy bonuses are much more common than moderate to-hit bonuses, and while to-hit debuffs are wasted against most enemies when you're soft-capped, accuracy penalties would increase your durability.  Notable cases where enemies do have to-hit bonuses (like hard mode or Devouring Earth Quartzes) usually involve a ton of to-hit, such that the mild Dark Melee debuffs don't really make a dent.

Edited by aethereal

On 3/24/2023 at 11:24 AM, aethereal said:

Dark melee does debuff to-hit.

Unfortunately, you're kinda backwards: it would be a nicer pairing with defense sets like Shield if it debuffed accuracy instead.  (As far as I know, nothing debuffs accuracy).

Basically, moderate accuracy bonuses are much more common than moderate to-hit bonuses, and while to-hit debuffs are wasted against most enemies when you're soft-capped, accuracy penalties would increase your durability.  Notable cases where enemies do have to-hit bonuses (like hard mode or Devouring Earth Quartzes) usually involve a ton of to-hit, such that the mild Dark Melee debuffs don't really make a dent.

QQ Aeth, since you seem to have some experience with DM… would you say Touch of Fear is worth taking on a Scrapper now? Seems like a shoe in for a Tanker, but I’m not sure for a Scrapper.

• 3 weeks later
On 3/27/2023 at 12:46 AM, StriderIV said:

QQ Aeth, since you seem to have some experience with DM… would you say Touch of Fear is worth taking on a Scrapper now? Seems like a shoe in for a Tanker, but I’m not sure for a Scrapper.

I like it on my Scrappers. It's a 12' diameter, 10-target AoE that fears the main target.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later

I think from a newb perspective it's important to point out which AT is actually ""OP"" right out of the box once that character gets a decent number of enhancements under their belt.

DM/Shield  eeeeeeeeeehhhEEEEEH endgame potential it can do a very good chunk of content by itself but will likely need a small amount of investment to actually start seeing gains.

Claws/Rad  both ATs are in fact right out of the box, it can do a good amount of content, it's only real weakness is that it's a by the books scrapper AT which means it could probably smack down purples but will find trouble if the mob count is higher than 2-3 as it is single target.

Edited by Ashford
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Ashford said:

but will find trouble if the mob count is higher than 2-3 as it is single target.

Claws is easily one of the best AOE scrappers in the game. Like, maybe Rad Melee is better? Maybe. Claws is stupidly diverse. It has a ST ranged soft-cc and a AOE ranged soft-cc. It also does really REALLY good ST damage.

Claws get's Slash, Spin, Follow-Up, and Focus all by 18. You get Shockwave at 32. To say Claws exemps stupidly well is an understatement..

Claws is good. It's top-tier.

Edited by SomeGuy
  • Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, SomeGuy said:

26 these days but agreed with your whole post. Claws is the scrapper set as far as I'm concerned. Great aoe, great single target. It has the most natural home for critical strikes of any set I've tried on a scrapper too.

• Thanks 1