Cold Domination vs Dark Miasma

Snarky

For style, for me, I like Dark Miasma.  Please, hide your shock.

Now even a lightweight Corruptor runner like me has a 50 Ice.Cold Corr and nods wisely when Cold Domination is talked about.  

But, and I can not say this enough.  I have almost no idea what I am doing on a Corruptor except mashing buttons.  

Now, with Ice/Cold I was under the impression Benumb and Sleet were the heavy hitters for debuff.  But.... (and me looking at MiDs is iffy for getting good info) when I look at MiDs Tar Patch and Howling Twilight seem to be Darkside clones of these powers.  As I understand it Howling Twilight can be used as a debuff regardless of dead teammates.  (Yes I have a 50 Dark^3, no I do not run it much, and am unsure....)

Can someone who knows things sort this out?  Thanks.  If I like the info will probably start 2023s Redside crawl every contact with a Corr and really learn how to solo and team with one.  

Dark Miasma powers obey the Corruptor power scale.  Some Cold Domination powers don't.  On Mastermind, Controller, and Corruptor, some of Cold Domination's powers obey the Defender power scale (Sleet, part of Heat Loss).  Why?  Because they still use pseudo pets.  Dark Miasma used to be the same, but the pseudo pets were eventually converted to normal powers and now follow their respective AT's power scale.  Eventually, the same will happen to Cold Domination.  But for now, Cold Domination is a wee bit overpowered on Controllers and Corruptors, and very overpowered on Masterminds.  That's why Cold reigns supreme at the moment for support sets, although IMO even overpowered on three ATs it's a bit overrated.

Cold's heavy hitters are indeed Benumb and Sleet.  You also want to keep Heat Loss up.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

City of Data (for Homecoming) is a wealth of happiness for this. Your sense is correct re Howling Twilight. It is a -500% regen debuff for 30 seconds, a big stun, takes damage sets, and a slow. Hard (as, almost impossible) to perma but can get close. In addition to the above, it also rezs every dead teammate - awesome but least commonly useful effect. It fits well with Oppressive Gloom (stun), Twilight Grasp (regen), and Tar Patch (slow - which honestly needs no help there). The rez is cool in that it’s a full health and endurance bar (best place I’ve ever rezzed is in the bowl during an MSR when the initial drop gets fuzzy). Otherwise, use it often. Wish it had a quicker activation time.

Tar Patch is great - easily every every spawn with-22.5% resistance. Also fairly easy to cap run speed reduction. 

I prefer Dark to Cold for style. And Dark Servant - which does any number of amazing things. Reverberant wishes it could be as cool Dark Servant.

A Xxx/Dark Corruptor is mad safe for soloing red side. It was great on Live and even better on Homecoming. Dooooo Iiiittttt!

Edit - I have an Ice/Dark at 50 and a Dark/Dark (leveling). Both play light a  slow, rolling cloud a cold death solo. On teams, usually time for one debuff then it’s blast city.

Edited by Nyghtmaire
Extra
  • Thanks 1

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

1 hour ago, Nyghtmaire said:

City of Data (for Homecoming) is a wealth of happiness for this. Your sense is correct re Howling Twilight. It is a -500% regen debuff for 30 seconds, a big stun, takes damage sets, and a slow. Hard (as, almost impossible) to perma but can get close. In addition to the above, it also rezs every dead teammate - awesome but least commonly useful effect. It fits well with Oppressive Gloom (stun), Twilight Grasp (regen), and Tar Patch (slow - which honestly needs no help there). The rez is cool in that it’s a full health and endurance bar (best place I’ve ever rezzed is in the bowl during an MSR when the initial drop gets fuzzy). Otherwise, use it often. Wish it had a quicker activation time.

Tar Patch is great - easily every every spawn with-22.5% resistance. Also fairly easy to cap run speed reduction. 

I prefer Dark to Cold for style. And Dark Servant - which does any number of amazing things. Reverberant wishes it could be as cool Dark Servant.

A Xxx/Dark Corruptor is mad safe for soloing red side. It was great on Live and even better on Homecoming. Dooooo Iiiittttt!

Edit - I have an Ice/Dark at 50 and a Dark/Dark (leveling). Both play light a  slow, rolling cloud a cold death solo. On teams, usually time for one debuff then it’s blast city.

I have a /Cold Corruptor, have been looking at /Dark on SOMETHING (perhaps a Corruptor, maybe Dom/Controller). For a Corruptor, what are some primaries you’d suggest to pair with Dark? I was looking at both Water Blast and Fire.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, StriderIV said:

I have a /Cold Corruptor, have been looking at /Dark on SOMETHING (perhaps a Corruptor, maybe Dom/Controller). For a Corruptor, what are some primaries you’d suggest to pair with Dark? I was looking at both Water Blast and Fire.

...Dark Blast Dark Miasma Dark mastery and NOTHING ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, StriderIV said:

Dark Affinity is most baller on a controller and goes with about every primary, making the build a tank with endless recovery with a recharge build.

For Corruptors, both Fire and water would be great. Fire exploits the damage potential of Tar Patch (pull with Darkest Night into Tar Patch, give ‘em a Rain of Fire and all the other AOES); Water builds even more control with Dark’s debuffs. Psi can stack stuns with Dark (especially if you pick up Oppressive Gloom), with the caveat of the challenges with psi resistant mobs. Love my Ice but wouldn’t sleep on the new Sonic (some more stunning, extra -res, similar but more cones as Dark primary for Corruptor).

Basically, all the -hit is a great blanket of safety. Tar Patch and DN moves the mobs around to where you want them. And you can heal yourself when things get crazy. All the tools, all the time and no bad choices (except Black Hole… ugh)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

54 minutes ago, Snarky said:

And friends don’t let friends go SOUL.

• Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, Nyghtmaire said:

Dark Affinity is most baller on a controller and goes with about every primary, making the build a tank with endless recovery with a recharge build.

For Corruptors, both Fire and water would be great. Fire exploits the damage potential of Tar Patch (pull with Darkest Night into Tar Patch, give ‘em a Rain of Fire and all the other AOES); Water builds even more control with Dark’s debuffs. Psi can stack stuns with Dark (especially if you pick up Oppressive Gloom), with the caveat of the challenges with psi resistant mobs. Love my Ice but wouldn’t sleep on the new Sonic (some more stunning, extra -res, similar but more cones as Dark primary for Corruptor).

Basically, all the -hit is a great blanket of safety. Tar Patch and DN moves the mobs around to where you want them. And you can heal yourself when things get crazy. All the tools, all the time and no bad choices (except Black Hole… ugh)

Thanks for this! I do hear Darkness Affinity controllers can do crazy things.

/Dark on Corruptors seems like it has a super nice bag of tricks. Water/Dark seems to double down on the sturdiness of it all. Fire/Dark does seem really synergistic…. I just almost feel like, if I ever run a Fire Corruptor, it might be a Fire/Kin. I hear those things are a force of nature lol

Ice/Dark (and its Defender mirror Dark/Ice) is indeed a very capable and potent pairing.  The foes can't hardly move, attack slowly, whiff when they do attack and after all that hit like kittens when they do connect.  While -to hit is its number one thing it also lays out a fair bit of -damage (Darkest Night, Twilight's Grasp and Fluffy) and Twilight's Grasp is a self stacking regen (to hit and damage) debuff that'll go a long way to filling the gap in HT's downtime in regen debuff.

Edited by Doomguide2005

8 hours ago, Snarky said:

Super chill, super safe gameplay. Damage is never big, but it's so safe it doesn't need to be.

You get a tiny man made of floof who heals you and stuff. You can give him a damage proc for a very, very tiny DPS raise. Dark Mastery gives you an aura and a damage boost.

You have a lot of cones which mostly synergise pretty well. Splat down your big dark circle of debuff, immobilise enemies in it and mash buttons. Run in with Personal Fulcrum Shift and let off your nuke.

Good combo. Yes, I have forgotten the name of every single power.

Edited by Gulbasaur
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

From a team standpoint, Cold brings shields to the table while Dark Miasma brings heals and tohit debuffs (the shields are why I play Cold as a defender). The big difference between Howling Twilight and Benumb is that in addition to -regen, Benumb also has 50% -damage and 56% -special. The latter is a very powerful debuff that only Cold, Poison and Trick Arrow have.

https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=corruptor_buff.cold_domination.benumb&at=corruptor

I have a Rad/Dark corruptor and a Cold/Beam defender, and played a Dark/Rad defender and a Dark/Cold corruptor on live. Other than Fearsome Stare, all of Dark Miasma's effects are AoEs. I prefer pairing Dark Miasma with a blast set that also has AoEs. While thematically consistent, Dark Blasts cones work against you if you're trying to stay inside of the debuff AoEs.

• Like 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

Memory nudge:

Dark Servant -> Twilight Grasp and Chill of the Night, Petrifying Gaze, Darkest Night, Tenebrous Tentacles.

Gloom.

Soul Drain.

Tenebrous Tentacles.

Night Fall.

Torrent.

Fearsome Stare.

Tar Patch.

Tenebrous Tentacles.

Soul Drain.

Black Star.

And now you have a foe, who if standing, can't hit the barn while inside it.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Dark Servant -> Twilight Grasp and Chill of the Night, Petrifying Gaze, Darkest Night, Tenebrous Tentacles. tiny man

Gloom. pewpewpew

Soul Drain. we have fulcrum shift at home

Tenebrous Tentacles. cone of wigglers

Night Fall. cone of pew

Torrent. cone of fall down

Fearsome Stare. cone of "some of them are still moving about"

Tar Patch. dark circle of debuff that you really should have put down before firing off all your cones

Tenebrous Tentacles an excess of wigglers

Soul Drain. Again? What are you, The Recharge Ranger?

Black Star. no space between the words, like the Bowie album

You're missing "pew" and "the one that's also a heal" and "the snipe with the yellow circle around it". There's also "that annoying power you need an anchor for".

I think it pairs well the the sorcery power pool - Rune of Protection is a mezz-breaker and Enflame is fun because you're immobilising things anyway so you might as well set the one in the middle on fire.

This thread got me playing my dark/dark/dark corruptor again and it's good fun. The Soul Noir effects are really nice.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

9 minutes ago, Gulbasaur said:

You're missing "pew" and "the one that's also a heal" and "the snipe with the yellow circle around it". There's also "that annoying power you need an anchor for".

Hehe, no the list is meant to follow your various mentions and not list all the powers.  I should have said Oppressive Gloom (not Gloom), whoops and you never mentioned the Snipe as far as I could see, etc..  But I love the substitutes names you've provided.

• Like 1