Water, water everywhere...

But not all the same, apparently. I had a pretty reasonable time putting in multiple sheets of the recolorable water, and seams, overlap, and such gave me no trouble, no little flashy graphic bits like when you intersect two objects at an identical spot... no problems.

So now, I'm using water. Regular, clear... I think they differentiate it as "calm"... and I'm getting nothing but headaches. The seams always look split to me; even when perfectly matched up, if I turn the camera to the right angles, little gaps will appear on either side of the seam between water plates. If I overlap, THIS water will do the flickery stuff, so I can't do that... it's such a pain to work with!

Has anybody had the same issues, or figured out a trick to working with the water sheets to make things look... right? I mean, I know I'm being picky, but... you know... its my base. I want it how I want it. :P

I wish we had more size choices for the water grids. :/

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

I'll agree to that. There isn't a s, m, l, xl size piece of water for all the water types. It would be a little easier to use them if all varieties had all size tiles.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

• 4 weeks later

But not all the same, apparently. I had a pretty reasonable time putting in multiple sheets of the recolorable water, and seams, overlap, and such gave me no trouble, no little flashy graphic bits like when you intersect two objects at an identical spot... no problems.

So now, I'm using water. Regular, clear... I think they differentiate it as "calm"... and I'm getting nothing but headaches. The seams always look split to me; even when perfectly matched up, if I turn the camera to the right angles, little gaps will appear on either side of the seam between water plates. If I overlap, THIS water will do the flickery stuff, so I can't do that... it's such a pain to work with!

Has anybody had the same issues, or figured out a trick to working with the water sheets to make things look... right? I mean, I know I'm being picky, but... you know... its my base. I want it how I want it. :P

Check which direction the water is going in maybe? I came across this trying to make my little park on top of my base (can't have a part without a couple lakes and streams, amiright?).

Anyway, when I was laying them down last night playing with the different types and sizes, I noticed that some had rotated on me when I went to put the second one in and it did indeed look sort of like a "seam" to me as a result because the little "waves" in the water are definitely flowing in a specific direction.

I don't know if that's the exact problem you encountered or not but I definitely hit that one for a few minutes myself before I noticed it so, I'm sure others will too.

Tricks with water: 

- increase your snap-to size in options, makes the water panels snap to the walls more readily and line up without gaps.

- right-click to rotate the panels, the surface effects definitely have a flow direction, so make sure you match.

- the splash effects, shift-drag down to submerge just a little, maybe 1/4 (smallest snap).

Now, if you want headaches with water seams, try making a sloped water channel, heh, or a pool area that has a down-sloped channel feeding it.

Fortunately, the surface of the water panels "stops" other effects from penetrating, so you can mask the seam by placing some rocks to "obstruct the flow" down to a narrow gap, and then placing a water fountain effect horizontally just at the surface of the transition.  Looks like water rushing between boulders.  Might have to use a flat stone block or a door, placed vertically at just the right spot, to anchor the water-fountain effect to its surface (so the water effect shoots horizontally at just the right height), then delete when done positioning.

Otherwise, I've seen some "underwater" SG bases in the Show Off thread, and if you want something like that, the calm water is the best transparency (so you can still see the sky through it), but you have to upside-down it for best visuals when viewed from underneath.