Regarding the recent spam

Cipher

I wasn't trying to get anyone in trouble, I only wanted to bring it to the devs attention to make sure he wasn't a spammer. It was not an accusation and I am glad he is one of the good guys. I have never seen anyone want to purchase over 35,000 boosters like that, and it seemed strange.

• Thumbs Up 1
y0Y5yFQ.png Forever grateful to be back in my city!

• 4 weeks later
  • Game Master
On 10/10/2023 at 4:44 AM, Shad0hawK said:

i have known Guyver a long time. he is NOT  a spammer. I suggest if you make an accusation like this you back it up, I mean is asking for boosters really spamming? how many posts were made? do you have chat logs?

Better we get 10 reports that turn out to be legitimate players than miss one that is a scam artist. Our priority is player safety and we encourage people to report odd behaviour. 99% of the time it's nothing and we thank the player for being vigilant. 1% of the time it's something we are glad we have been made aware of and can take action against. I've seen legitimate players who I've known for years suddenly exhibit odd behaviour and most of the time it's a family member/ room mate who knows the login details and decides to be a bit of an idiot for funsies. A quick warning to the player to change their password and all is good again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/10/2023 at 3:40 AM, Healix said:

I wasn't trying to get anyone in trouble, I only wanted to bring it to the devs attention to make sure he wasn't a spammer. It was not an accusation and I am glad he is one of the good guys. I have never seen anyone want to purchase over 35,000 boosters like that, and it seemed strange.

Best way to avoid this kind of backlash is just to use the ingame reporting system via Menu>Support

This kind of behavior might best fall under "Exploits and Cheating".

Most of the time, the stuff that I run into falls under "Harassment and Conduct" or, at least, I'm assuming Code of Conduct stuff falls under this one.

Make sure that you include what server you are on. adding the global was a plus.

Also, I have seen the GM say to make sure to copy the name versus retyping it as some people switch characters that look like others like lowercase L and upper case i.

If you need to do a more detailed report, start it that way and then come to the forums. You'll find your reports under the "Support" tab at the top. You add more info there, including screenshots and links to videos.

And I agree, the behavior does seem strange. They maybe pricing their purchase below what the average bid is in the auction house and trying to pull a large quantity out of circulation for some market manipulation.

s-l1200.webp

It is odd that someone would be doing this through chat (especially announcing that they want to purchase such a large market manipulating number), but that is the only way to circumvent the Market, and I don't think anyone uses the in-game trade or auction house channels. 

Market PvP is much better when you aren't announcing the hand you're playing for everyone to see.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

• 1 month later

For myself, I agree with Healix's standpoint the big one-ten.  Far, far better, IMHACWO, to have something brought up as a mistaken red-flag - and thus allow the opportunity to at least pass on a heartfelt apology to the offended party - than to let a single genuine corporate parasite through.  I would hope that, if one of my posts were, for whatever reason, flagged as such a cautionary point, I would be most accepting of the resulting investigation and would pass on a hearty, "Hey - not a problem," to the (hopefully) regretful person who had made the mistaken identification.

I think it's understood that there's nothing involving personal bias here, just someone pointing out something that seemed a bit off.  While I am certainly not frequent enough a contributor, let alone site-surfer, to pick up on anything but the most obvious of such scam attempts, I do fully support the population as a whole acting as a digital posse and corralling the low-rent punks into the virtual turlet.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/3/2023 at 9:39 PM, Techwright said:

Enough to open a lunch counter

West Sussex couple in Monty Python-themed wedding - BBC News

I can think of one near Sand Island Access Road I used to frequent back in the day for Loco Moco in the morning that had a board of Spam items like this..

• Thumbs Up 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

I can understand this spammer attempt to manipulate markets in games where there's a cash economy. But eleventy-billion in Inf, or 250,000 enhancements, won't buy you a cup of coffee and doesn't really enhance a player position in the game.

It just seems like malice for its own sake, or dumbassery by players who score themselves by how many billion Inf their alts have.

Edited by Shenanigunner

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

• Cipher unpinned this topic