Regarding the recent spam

Cipher

• City Council

Hey all, I wanted to take a moment to address the wave of spam we've seen on the forums over the past week or so.

Unfortunately, it seems that a large number of Invision-based forums, our own included, are being targeted by an influx of spam registrations and posts with very similar content. While our amazing GM team has been diligent in watching out for and removing the spam as it comes through, it was clear that we needed to take additional action to combat it. As of the time of this post we've done the following to try and put a stop to the spam:

• Enabled stricter anti-bot settings within Cloudflare
  • Changed our registration bot challenge from reCAPTCHA to KeyCaptcha
  • Updated our registration challenge questions
  • Restricted new users from posting for 24 hours from the time of registration

I understand that this may prevent some newer users from receiving support on the forums as easily during the registration and installation processes, and in the mean time if you require support as a new member, I suggest opening a support ticket or reaching out to the community over on our Discord server.

We appreciate everyone's patience while we figure out a solution. If you encounter any spam, please continue to report it as such.

Thanks

• Like 9
  • Thanks 10
  • Thumbs Up 15

Cipher

City Council

If you need help, please submit a support request here or use /petition in-game.

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

5 minutes ago, Cipher said:

We appreciate everyone's patience while we figure out a solution.

And we appreciate all of the work you and the GM team are putting in to help keep our home safe and comfortable.  You're the heroes we deserve, and the heroes we need.

>.>

Wanna buy some airline tickets?

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Ahem.

'Twas the day after Spammas and all through the forum,

Not a GM was stirring, not even @GM Impervium.

The stickies were stuck at the tops with great care,

In the hope that the newbies would read them there.

The posters were nestled, all snug in their topics,

While visions of @Snarky in a sheer teddy danced in their optics.

oh god oh god oh god my eyes

I'm so glad I can't see any of you guys.

And here at Homecoming, there was no clatter,

For @Cipher had finally quelled the spammer.

Calmly, I leaned back and played Solitaire,

And checking for new members named uselesputz124.

This poem is too fucking long to adapt,

So I'm stopping here.  GMs, enjoy your naps!

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Personally, my only notable reaction to the spam invasion was, "Oh, God, not again."  I will skip out on all subject-based commentary and simply pass on every congratulations and thanks to the CoHHC team for their alacrity in response to the annoyance, and to the site's population as a whole for the, "Hey, if you're gonna come in here uninvited, there's a nice gladiatorial lion pit we can toss you into for the gang's entertainment."  All appreciations to Luminara for the poetic parody; these goofs want to come in the door without knocking, fine - and there is the understanding that they don't give a frank damn what our personal response is, unless it involves forwarding cash - but we're going to hold you up as demonstrations of social and corporate failures.  All best on your next site invasion attempt, guys...

• Like 1

On 2/1/2023 at 4:18 PM, Bionic_Flea said:

Only a little bit . . . . 

image.jpeg.5c487a7a83f4f655cab29b0d130d6135.jpeg

Enough to open a lunch counter

West Sussex couple in Monty Python-themed wedding - BBC News

On 2/1/2023 at 6:18 PM, Snarky said:

want me to whip some up for you?

HOMEMADE SPAM, WITHOUT PRESERVATIVES, KIDS CAN ENJOY EATING, HEALTHY RECIPE. - YouTube

Got an low sodiu...uuuh, wait a second...isn't SPAM supposed to be pink?  That stuff looks like tofu.

• Haha 1

On 2/4/2023 at 2:39 AM, Techwright said:

Enough to open a lunch counter

West Sussex couple in Monty Python-themed wedding - BBC News

Got an low sodiu...uuuh, wait a second...isn't SPAM supposed to be pink?  That stuff looks like tofu.

I long for the days when I could get Egg, Bacon, and spam for £1.50

And a mullett haircut for £3.25

• Haha 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

• 7 months later
  • Game Master

It looks like the spammers are getting more clever. If anyone sees posts advertising anything for sale such as Reddit accounts, software, bitcoins or anything sketchy please report that post so we can look into it . We rely on the users of the forum to report these things as we can't be everywhere and often miss stuff for ages. It might look like a normal post, or it might read weird as if it's written by AI, but it will include a link to buy something at some point.

As always, don't click links on posts unless you are really sure where the link is going, and absolutely do not give any information or download something if they ask.

If in doubt, report it. We'll investigate and I'd rather ten reported posts that are fine and link to an art page than miss one post and have someones account compromised.

Stay safe everyone, GM Crumpet

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

• GM Crumpet pinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later

I spotted this one quite a few times last night. Don't know if it legit or not. (Why would he need 40,000??)

' [General] Sharpen:  I am buying enhancement boosters at 2 million a pop. I need another 40,000 or so. If you post them, I will buy them.'

y0Y5yFQ.png Forever grateful to be back in my city!

This keeps popping up in General chat.

'[General] Egad:  I am buying enhancement boosters at 2 million a pop. I need another 35,000 or so. If you post them, I will buy them.'

I checked for the Global name-Egad has the global handle: Guyver

y0Y5yFQ.png Forever grateful to be back in my city!

7 hours ago, Healix said:

This keeps popping up in General chat.

'[General] Egad:  I am buying enhancement boosters at 2 million a pop. I need another 35,000 or so. If you post them, I will buy them.'

I checked for the Global name-Egad has the global handle: Guyver

i have known Guyver a long time. he is NOT  a spammer. I suggest if you make an accusation like this you back it up, I mean is asking for boosters really spamming? how many posts were made? do you have chat logs?

Edited by Shad0hawK
i cannot type :)
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1