There's an Oil Slick in the Pool

Scarlet Shocker

So I'm in the process of rolling a new /TA troller due to a couple of interesting threads and some fond memories of /TA on live - not the least my Fire/TA and my Plant/TA (which was a complete monster even then)

I don't want to repeat those - nor do I want to remake one of my favourite trollers on live an Earth/Thermal - fantastic support, great survivability, rubbish damage, would lock a map down and tickle mobs to death.

Earth/TA sounds quite fun - but under normal circumstances that would force me to take Fire Mastery to ensure I get the most out of OSA. I dislike Fire Mastery and I am a big fan of Leviathan - the whole Shark Skin and vomiting toxic over your enemies just appeals to me.

So is there a pool set that works well and would ignite OSA? I'm looking at Sorcery - Arcane Bolt might, as might Enflame - and it has other benefits too (Does Spirit Ward work on pets?)

It is not immediately apparent if any other pool powers can do what I ask. It may be this is an unfortunate pairing for that reason but your input is welcome.

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

Apprentice Charm and Taser Dart (magic and tech origin ranged attacks) will ignite it.

Fragmentation Grenade and Rune of Purification Day Job powers will ignite it.

The following temporary powers will ignite it:

• Angelfire Device
  • Bracers of Astrape
  • Divining Rod
  • EMP Glove
  • Electromagnetic Grenade
  • Empowered <section> of the Wheel
  • Energy Ring Toss
  • Gold Bricker Sonic Cannon
  • Golden Rings
  • Hand Grenade
  • High Explosive
  • Magical Burst
  • Plasmatic Taser (available at P2W)
  • Resistance HE Grenade
  • Rikti Rifle
  • Rune of Warding
  • Shivan Beam/Bolt/Bomb/Haze/Smash/Strike
  • Soul Trap
  • Stun Blast
  • Stun Grenade (available at P2W)
  • Tesla Gauntlet
  • Zeus' Lightning Bolt.

Any pet with Energy or Fire damage will ignite it (including Backup Radio summons, available at P2W).

Enemy critters with AoE Energy or Fire attacks will ignite it (sometimes critters will attack it with single-target attacks, even though it has a billion -Threat).

Energy and Fire procs in any AoE or cone which is frequently used are almost guaranteed to ignite it before OSTarget despawns (how i did it on the original servers, how i do it with my TA/* and */TA characters now).

Incarnate abilities with Energy or Fire damage, including Interface proc effects, will ignite it.

Mace Mastery, Mu Mastery and Primal Forces Mastery all have Energy and Fire damage powers.

After maining TA/Dark for years, I came to the conclusion that it wasn't just easy to ignite OSA, it requires an act of will to fail to do so.

1 hour ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Earth/TA

Volcanic Gasses, hello?

• Thumbs Up 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Elec/TA or Earth/TA would be interesting concepts trick Arrow controllers.

I play plant/ta, ta/dp, and a/ta. On live I rolled a ta/psi.

My favorite is likely my plant/ta do to the sheer chaos and damage it produces, followed by the dp/ta (due to higher debuff values and a great name, Unlimited Ammo).

Since, I have had the quandary on several TA toons. There are four solutions for energy damage to light the oil slick. Oh and I have an Earth/TA controller.

• Epic pool fire damage, not my preferred choice 
  • Volcanic gases does fire damage
  • Preemptive or Reactive interface will proc energy or fire damage
  • Several origin powers can do energy damage. You can swap to one that has energy damage at the P2W vendor
    • You also will need to create a macro to target your oil slick before you cast the power

I actually genuinely want to play a TA/Poison "bugger"

It w

1 hour ago, Luminara said:

Apprentice Charm and Taser Dart (magic and tech origin ranged attacks) will ignite it.

Fragmentation Grenade and Rune of Purification Day Job powers will ignite it.

The following temporary powers will ignite it:

• Angelfire Device
  • Bracers of Astrape
  • Divining Rod
  • EMP Glove
  • Electromagnetic Grenade
  • Empowered <section> of the Wheel
  • Energy Ring Toss
  • Gold Bricker Sonic Cannon
  • Golden Rings
  • Hand Grenade
  • High Explosive
  • Magical Burst
  • Plasmatic Taser (available at P2W)
  • Resistance HE Grenade
  • Rikti Rifle
  • Rune of Warding
  • Shivan Beam/Bolt/Bomb/Haze/Smash/Strike
  • Soul Trap
  • Stun Blast
  • Stun Grenade (available at P2W)
  • Tesla Gauntlet
  • Zeus' Lightning Bolt.

Any pet with Energy or Fire damage will ignite it (including Backup Radio summons, available at P2W).

Enemy critters with AoE Energy or Fire attacks will ignite it (sometimes critters will attack it with single-target attacks, even though it has a billion -Threat).

Energy and Fire procs in any AoE or cone which is frequently used are almost guaranteed to ignite it before OSTarget despawns (how i did it on the original servers, how i do it with my TA/* and */TA characters now).

Incarnate abilities with Energy or Fire damage, including Interface proc effects, will ignite it.

Mace Mastery, Mu Mastery and Primal Forces Mastery all have Energy and Fire damage powers.

After maining TA/Dark for years, I came to the conclusion that it wasn't just easy to ignite OSA, it requires an act of will to fail to do so.

Volcanic Gasses, hello?

Some great info here thankyou. I haven't heard of many of these powers. I'm not sure where I'd get half of them but I guess if I have a couple.

Interesting point about Volcanic Gasses - nothing like overlooking the obvious (to quote Tony Stark) - that's a question - if I lay OSA on the VG patch will it ignite automatically?

Some testing requred

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

49 minutes ago, KaizenSoze said:

Since, I have had the quandary on several TA toons. There are four solutions for energy damage to light the oil slick. Oh and I have an Earth/TA controller.

• Epic pool fire damage, not my preferred choice 
  • Volcanic gases does fire damage
  • Preemptive or Reactive interface will proc energy or fire damage
  • Several origin powers can do energy damage. You can swap to one that has energy damage at the P2W vendor
    • You also will need to create a macro to target your oil slick before you cast the power

Do you know the macro? If you could pst it here that would be immense!

9 minutes ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Do you know the macro? If you could pst it here that would be immense!

I believe this is it, I don't have access to the game right this minute. I'l double check and update if needed.

/macro oil "target_custom_near "Oil Slick""

/bind y target_custom_near "Oil Slick"

Edited by KaizenSoze

38 minutes ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Interesting point about Volcanic Gasses - nothing like overlooking the obvious (to quote Tony Stark) - that's a question - if I lay OSA on the VG patch will it ignite automatically?

Some testing requred

It should because it's a psuedopet with a fire dot aka a damage patch.

99% sure it will work if you lay oil slick over VG. 100% sure VG will ignite oil slick if you put down oil slick first.

7 minutes ago, KaizenSoze said:

It should because it's a psuedopet with a fire dot aka a damage patch.

99% sure it will work if you lay oil slick over VG. 100% sure VG will ignite oil slick if you put down oil slick first.

That's really interesting. I'm pretty sure VG is a GTAOE so you can't target it. But there was once a bind to be able to lay it at a victim's feet I believe

2 minutes ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

That's really interesting. I'm pretty sure VG is a GTAOE so you can't target it. But there was once a bind to be able to lay it at a victim's feet I believe

This will cast power right on the target, friend or foes, location:
bind x powexec_location target "Volacanic Gasses" 

You might want to keep these kinds of binds in mind when dealing with Trick Arrow powers. Trick arrow really benefits from binds.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KaizenSoze said:

/macro oil "target_custom_near "Oil Slick""

/bind y target_custom_near "Oil Slick"

I made a popmenu for my Arch/TA Blaster for this:

Menu "SlickBurn"
{
Title Oil Slick Ignite
Option "Oil Slick Arrow &1" "powexecname Oil Slick Arrow"
Option "Here &2" "powexeclocation down:max Oil Slick Arrow"
Option "Target &3" "powexeclocation target Oil Slick Arrow"
Option "Light &4" "targetcustomnear Oil Slick$$powexec_name Blazing Arrow"
Option "Fire &8" "powexecname Blazing Arrow"
}

This would go into a 'Location Powers.mnu' file in the game folders, and then I'd create a macro for it:

/macro Oil popmenu SlickBurn

So then, to use it, I click the macro, select 1 to do the normal target-location pick, 2 to drop it at my feet, or 3 to drop it under my current target. Once the slick is down, click the macro again, and 4 targets it and fires Blazing Arrow, with 5 as a backup if I get distracted.

• Thanks 1