The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

Bases in AE

UltraAlt

I'm looking at all theses bases in the contest and I keep thinking, would it be possible to add bases as an option for maps in AE content?

I might really be a hassle to do this, but, wow, I mean think of what it could mean.

I'm not sure how it would even sort in the AE as bases are stored on the different servers (as far as I know) versus in a common pool or if it would be necessary to have access to all bases in the AE (I would think not).

I think if it ever is implemented the DEVs and/or Community Reps would have to approve bases before they would be added to the AE. I say this because I know of a least one ERP base that is a bit out here and I'm not even sure it should be open to the public but some of the Horror aspects of Halloween bases kind of go kind of far as well.

The AE missions really aren't monitored either so on some level I guess it is relative.

I would also think that base owners should have the option to submit their base for possible use in the AE versus just putting them all through the process. Some bases are personal and people may not want to have them used in AE content by other people creating missions inside of their base design.

I still keep looking at the and thinking that they are ready made maps for PVE. I know they can already be used for PVP at this point.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

There would be a few hurdles,  one that biostem already mentioned.  The awesome bases tend to have thousands of objects and npc pathing was removed because it made them extremely laggy.  But pvp was brought back to bases so npc pathing may have been partially (or fully?) solved if pets can move around.

The mob spawn locations arent random on any map,  they are predefined locations that mobs are allowed to spawn at.  Its the same for blinkies and hostages in regard to spawning at predetermined locations.  Bases also lack the front,  middle,  back areas that AE maps have for influencing where certain spawns would be.  All of these definitions would need to be manually added to the map.

One more issue is with permission to use the base.  Im sure alot of people would love if their base became a mission map but there are also those who wouldnt.  And while we dont own what we do ingame in a strict legal sense,  i highly doubt the team would take a base and make it into a map without the creators permission.

There are some awesome bases and they could be home to some awesome missions but they arent as close to PvE ready as a base tour makes them look.  The hurdles can probably be overcome,  but they are still hurdles that would need time.  If the team decides to take on the project,  i wouldnt expect it to be usable any time soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bases don't have pathing or beacons, so you couldn't add them to the AE.  Pathing and beacons tell the AI where patrols will go, where to spawn enemies/objects etc, and where TPing NPCs can TP to and from.  Pretty much why pets can't follow you in your base.

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

On 3/29/2023 at 11:00 AM, Darmian said:

Bases don't have pathing or beacons, so you couldn't add them to the AE.  Pathing and beacons tell the AI where patrols will go, where to spawn enemies/objects etc, and where TPing NPCs can TP to and from.  Pretty much why pets can't follow you in your base.

Maybe those items could be added to the base creator, like the intrabase teleport points; OR a map creator could be added to the AE, independent of bases but with all the same tools.

And hopefully no joker makes a nightmarish maze of invisible walls and floors...

• Thumbs Up 1

Play my AE Adventures, listed under @Jiro Ito, including award winners:

"The Headless Huntsman of Salamanca" #43870 **Scrapbot AE Contest Winner May 2022**           

"On the Claw-Tipped Wings of Betrayal" #43524 **November 2021 Dev's Choice**  

"The Defenders of Talos" #44578 **Mission Architect Competition Winner for October 2021: REBIRTH**  

2 hours ago, Jiro Ito said:

Maybe those items could be added to the base creator, like the intrabase teleport points; OR a map creator could be added to the AE, independent of bases but with all the same tools.

And hopefully no joker makes a nightmarish maze of invisible walls and floors...

Well, that would be nice.  Personally I can't see it happening any time soon (if at all) considering how janky the AE code is about things.  I mean getting the NPCs to use their Unaware dialog properly is still a challenge!

• Haha 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

1 hour ago, Darmian said:

Well, that would be nice.  Personally I can't see it happening any time soon (if at all) considering how janky the AE code is about things.  I mean getting the NPCs to use their Unaware dialog properly is still a challenge!

Or even getting them to spawn where they are supposed to on a regular basis. Select back for placement, and they can still spawn somewhere in the middle away from any of the map ends, or sometimes even at the front. (And I'm talking about indoor maps. I know outdoor maps don't have front, middle or back.)

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder if we could see some sort of middle ground - like a few AE bases where there are designated "no-build" zones, which contain the pathing and spawn point data for NPCs, then players could decorate the "permitted zones" however they like...