looking at a run with ice cold troller,,,i got questions

Snarky

i probably do not know the right questions to ask.  any advice is appreciated.

here are a couple...  1) does Sleet need accuracy?  This goes for Snow Storm, Artic Air, Ice Slick, Artic Fog, Jack Frost, Heat Loss, and Ice Storm from Frost Mastery.  

35 minutes ago, Snarky said:

does Sleet need accuracy? 

Not really. It takes accuracy, which will help it. However the rain power activates 5 times a second. Law of averages will get your effects on target pretty quick even with some misses. If you're tight on slots, you can economize here.

35 minutes ago, Snarky said:

This goes for Snow Storm, Artic Air, Ice Slick, Artic Fog, Jack Frost, Heat Loss, and Ice Storm from Frost Mastery.  

Uhmm...

Snow Storm: No, autohit

Arctic Air: No, autohit

Ice Slick: Not really. It's technically autohit minus the damage which does require a roll but it's also pretty weak. Procs would require  roll, but I wouldn't proc this out. The slow and KD are autohit but the KD is an 8% chance so that's why it's not always applied.

Arctic Fog: No, this doesn't take Accuracy cause it doesn't affect enemies. Slot for defense or res IMO.

Jack Frost: Yes, go with acc boosting picks from Call to Arms IMO.

Heat Loss: Not sure. This is a weird power. I slot it with End Mod sets that have acc components anyway. 

Ice Storm: Not really, same as Sleet, above. I wouldn't take this though if you're already going Ice/Cold. It doesn't give you anything you don't already have.

Edited by twozerofoxtrot
Provided more feedback
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, twozerofoxtrot said:

I can think of a few setups.

Sonic and FF support are both pretty chill. 

Ice/Cold shouldn't be too bad either.

I am getting closer. Huge def values 30+ almost everywhere. 45 ranged neg and energy. Almost capped cold resistance!   (For theme snd efficiency using winter sets). 

But i still have questions about what powers to slot how.  Parking everything for the night

Sleet isn't autohit, however, its got a massive defense debuff. You only need one tick to hit for the -res to kick in. The damage is minimal and not worth slotting for. Most efficient slotting is 2 recharge IOs, although I usually 3 or 4 slot a defense debuff set.

Heat Loss has ally buff and enemy debuff components. The buff is autohit but the debuff requires accuracy. 

Ice Storm isn't the same as Sleet and does require accuracy. It has no defense debuff and you want the damage to hit.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender

Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper | Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel

1 hour ago, Uun said:

Ice Storm isn't the same as Sleet

Just to clarify, I meant it's the same in that it activates 5 times per second. So the (speed) debuffs are going to apply on average regardless.

1 hour ago, Uun said:

you want the damage to hit

I'm going to cop to saying I hadn't once, ever, considered the damage as the reason someone would pick Ice Storm. Seems like a terrible idea.

1 hour ago, twozerofoxtrot said:

Just to clarify, I meant it's the same in that it activates 5 times per second. So the (speed) debuffs are going to apply on average regardless.

I'm going to cop to saying I hadn't once, ever, considered the damage as the reason someone would pick Ice Storm. Seems like a terrible idea.

Ice Storm is ported from the Ice Blast set and benefits from containment. It does 1.5571 dmg per tick (2.3356 with containment) compared to 0.3337 per tick for Sleet (which doesn't benefit from containment). Over the 15 second duration it does 175 dmg with containment (compared to 64 for controller Fireball). It's one of the better options for AoE damage available to controllers.

• Thanks 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender

Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper | Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel

2 hours ago, Uun said:

Ice Storm is ported from the Ice Blast set and benefits from containment. It does 1.5571 dmg per tick (2.3356 with containment) compared to 0.3337 per tick for Sleet (which doesn't benefit from containment). Over the 15 second duration it does 175 dmg with containment (compared to 64 for controller Fireball). It's one of the better options for AoE damage available to controllers.

So ice storm from ice mastery benefits from containment but sleet from cold domination does not?   Why doesn’t sleet?

2 hours ago, Snarky said:

So ice storm from ice mastery benefits from containment but sleet from cold domination does not?   Why doesn’t sleet?

Cold's Sleet (and Storm's Freezing Rain) are debuffs, not damage powers. Even if the damage benefited from containment, it would still be inconsequential. BTW, don't encourage the devs to look at Sleet. The controller/corruptor versions have defender values are WAY overpowered.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sleet is freezing rain and can be a 1 slot recharge, 2 slot recharge, or a mule for whatever set if you want to give it slots. The -resist procs are only ok in it.

Ice storm is a good rain power. 

Artic fog is steaming mist and Shadow Fall with different resist differentiating them. The stealth is nerfed and no longer stacks with SS (I HATE IT)

Toggle debuffs are almost always autohit. You trade acc for end enhancement. 4 slots or 2 Microfilaments. Snow storm is often skipped, especially on controllers with an immobilize that grounds flyers. I think doubly due to the fact ice control has a cone slow that probably hits the slow cap and trip[ly if take infrigidate (procced or not). 

I have never played Ice control on live to today. I have taken /ice on blasters. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/27/2023 at 1:27 AM, Snarky said:

i probably do not know the right questions to ask.  any advice is appreciated.

here are a couple...  1) does Sleet need accuracy?  This goes for Snow Storm, Artic Air, Ice Slick, Artic Fog, Jack Frost, Heat Loss, and Ice Storm from Frost Mastery.  

No, sleet does not need acc at all. 
Arctic Air needs no accuracy 
Ice slick needs no acc 

Heat Loss, yes 
Jack  , yes 
Ice Storm From mastery does not need it because by the time you done with your IOs, that thing will hit all the time even with your global accuracy 

• Thanks 1

I have found rain powers are normally chaos, but ice cold are not.  I run a ice/cold corr and his triple storms are more a lockdown on movement.  High damage no, but keeping them by the tank yes.  As for originally OP question it depends on how much acc and to hit he adds.  I'll post my ice/cold (not mine but recommended by a friend but forgot who was original, apologies) I have soloed debuffed buff Khan with this, but cannot attest to a +4/8 at the end which is easily madness, accident or bragging rights)

Sub-Zero Stormangel.mxd

Edited by Stormangel

Global bonuses/tactics/kismet do not transfer to pseudo-pets.

Doesn't matter for sleet because streakbreaker will make sure the debuff lands even against Mako in elude (could technically miss all ticks, but unlikely)

Does matter for icestorm. Most people don't realize it is missing because it ticks so much. 

Sleet (unslotted) will give icestorm (unslotted) a 67.5% chance to hit vs +3

80% chance vs +2

92% chance vs +1

You'll either want to enhance the def debuff of sleet and/or slot some acc in icestorm for most content.

• Like 1

HL is a different beast. 

Generally the recovery buff 90sec, is more sought after than the -res and huge -rech debuff (30 seconds). 

The -rech is so strong it can even tangibly impact AVs through their massive resistances.

One recovery buff originates from you. That is auto hit. 

The debuff and recovery buffs that come off of the enemies needs to hit and you have to be near them to receive the buff (like fulcrum shift)

If you are fighting in the middle of a spawn it is very unlikely that at least one enemy will not be hit. 

You will have ample endurance with 2 buffs (iirc my troller is around 6.5 end/sec) with that.

I have acc in my HL, but I fight a lot of AVs with my cold troller and I built around the mechanic. 

• Like 1