Newly returning player lf starter build help

ryokoryu

Ok so I have been gone for a years now, was tryin to get my best friend to come back to the game with me but he passed on the 8th this month.  He was iffy about playing the game because of the legality of the servers so he never did pick it back up with me.  Well, I made a sentinel el/Energy with the theme of a witch.  got my flight through the sorcery pool and I like the idea of using its attack power as well.  It fits thematically but I am level 18 now which means I need to start thinking of something to start aiming for build-wise.  I looked at all my old characters and kept the concepts I really liked and all the lvl 50's but I forgot a lot so I want the new toons I make to re-learn the game.  I have 2 mage-concepts going but I like Eldritch Shock the best.  I want to make her usable as a self-sufficient nuker as I have not gotten used to moving with the team since being back and I know that is a habit that develops slowly in me because of my vision issues.  So when the team moves past a pack and I stay and fight it I want to live long enough to either kill it or realize I screwed up and move on

• Sad 1

Greetings and welcome back,

I am at work now, but have a L50 Elec/EA sentinel at home. I will copy his build for you later but her e are some things to consider.

I built the toon on the concept that Drained mobs cannot shoot back, and he functions very well at draining mobs. He spends a vast majority of his time in melee range, due to the nature of some of his powers, the drain in EA and short circuit, and he also took the aura in the Electric epic.

General strategy is to fire off Thunderous Blast and Ball Electric and shoot on into melee, what isn't dead is drained, follow up with the Electric Immob and then finish off with short circuit and ST blasts. When Thunderous blast is not available I look for problem mobs before dashing in and make sure to gun those down first (looking at you sappers etc.)

Obviously there is a rhythm that is learned, but it is generally playable and a very good combo follow8ng the above basic strategy. I skipped the T1 Blast as it was not needed in the final build.

Actually the build was posted here in another thread, you can find it by searching posts I made with explanations etc. Again fun pairing and welcome back.

Edited by PyroBeetle
Added text

On 6/19/2023 at 7:20 AM, ryokoryu said:

I made a sentinel el/Energy with the theme of a witch

Some of your powers will require that you be in melee range, (power drain & short circuit).  As such, you'll want to be careful about your positioning, or rely on mystic flight's translocation ability to quickly teleport into range, activate the power(s), then teleport out.  Since you seem to want to use thunderous blast as often as possible, you'll want to leverage the defense-heavy nature of energy aura to slot some luck of the gambler global recharge IOs, to bring that recharge time down.  Beyond that, leverage energize so it is there whenever you need it, (you can even use it preemptively for the end discount and regen buff).  For sentinels, aim-like powers, (in this case, "charge up"), also temporarily increases your range, so I like to have it available as often as possible, (which is another reason to get those LotG +rech IOs).  I also like to slot the unique Gaussian's that grants an extra chance at a build-up like effect, to further up your damage.  Beyond that, I really like the Electrical Mastery Ancillary power pool, as it offers yet another AoE, (an immobilize in this case), and some other powers you may find both useful and thematic!  Best of luck!

Edited by biostem

On 6/19/2023 at 12:53 PM, ryokoryu said:

I don't want to be an end drainer, I would play a defender or corruptor for that.

I'm curious if you mean "I don't want to use end drain at all," or if you mean "I don't want to expressly build for end drain."

If the former, you should choose another primary. Elec drains, yo, it makes you an end drainer, and the set gets bonus damage off of drained targets. 

If the latter, don't fear, build for damage and the set will drain mobs enough for the bonus damage and mitigation on its own. Using an epic aoe immob is a great tactic, but not the only choice that works. And there is every reason to choose Musculature Radial Alpha, for better damage and faster draining. 

Elec/ Ea was the first and only sent i took to 50, it's very lightly built, and even so all the parts fit together so well. I should complete that toon someday. 

4 hours ago, Grimm2 said:

I'm curious if you mean "I don't want to use end drain at all," or if you mean "I don't want to expressly build for end drain."

If the former, you should choose another primary. Elec drains, yo, it makes you an end drainer, and the set gets bonus damage off of drained targets. 

If the latter, don't fear, build for damage and the set will drain mobs enough for the bonus damage and mitigation on its own. Using an epic aoe immob is a great tactic, but not the only choice that works. And there is every reason to choose Musculature Radial Alpha, for better damage and faster draining. 

Elec/ Ea was the first and only sent i took to 50, it's very lightly built, and even so all the parts fit together so well. I should complete that toon someday. 

As in I don't want to slot for end drain, it's automatic but other ATs are FAR better suited to be end drainers as a focus.

1 hour ago, ryokoryu said:

As in I don't want to slot for end drain, it's automatic but other ATs are FAR better suited to be end drainers as a focus.

You should be good, then. @PyroBeetle's description of tactics requires no specific end drain slotting... the set's Aim equivalent boosts end mod, and bosses take a hot minute to burn down. Your focus is damage, the secondary effect at its base level is enough. 

Ok so I have been gone for a years now, was tryin to get my best friend to come back to the game with me but he passed on the 8th this month.

I'm sorry for your loss.

I made a sentinel el/Energy with the theme of a witch.

So you really haven't clearly stated what the issue are beside running with a steamrolling team that doesn't clean it's plate before moving on to the next course.

Other than bad teammates, what appears to be the issue?

Sentinels are a balance between damage and defense but  you have to keep your distance.

Is the issue more running out of end or not being able to defend yourself before the enemy is defeated?

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

First of all welcome back, second of all my condolences, and third check my signature if you've been away for a long time.

Elec/Energy is solid but if you're aiming for a nuker then consider an Elec/Rad since you get to nuke twice every 25 seconds.

6 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

I'm sorry for your loss.

So you really haven't clearly stated what the issue are beside running with a steamrolling team that doesn't clean it's plate before moving on to the next course.

Other than bad teammates, what appears to be the issue?

Sentinels are a balance between damage and defense but  you have to keep your distance.

Is the issue more running out of end or not being able to defend yourself before the enemy is defeated?

In the past until I get my head around building historically I have bad instincts.  Like I will take every power because it will sound useful until I learn what ones not to take.  Currently at 26 I don't have the end and teams tend to say forget the ambush in posi 1 for instance.  In the past teams will do speed TFs and until I learn what I am doing on those or getting lost on mission teams at teams skipping packs.  My instinct is to kill everything and I can only see part of the screen at a time so I can get into trouble fast before I know I am in trouble.  I didn't pick electric for numbers I picked it for a theme.  That theme includes the arcane tree.  An arcane witch with lightning spells and arcane spells.  Energy aura is basically mage armor or magic shields etc.  

3 hours ago, ryokoryu said:

Like I will take every power because it will sound useful until I learn what ones not to take.

I'm a character conception player, and I hardly ever respec. (I think I've respec'd about 2 or 3 times over the same number of years that I have been on Homecoming)

All powers are useful if you know the tactics to use them. Sometimes I struggle with the correct tactics to use with a power.

Some powers are more usable on a team than when solo and vice-versa.

Not all powers are built for mini-maxing, but unless mini-maxing is your goal than there is no real reason to make that a target.

I pick powers that fit my character conception. I have a good number of characters, so I can try out different things on different characters. (I understand full well that some people can't keep put with switching back and forth between characters and remembering "how to play them").

3 hours ago, ryokoryu said:

Currently at 26 I don't have the end

Here's my general rules about end: 

Any power that doesn't have an ACC of 2 gets 2 SO acc enhances. If you don't hit, you wasted the end.

Any power that costs more than 10 end to active gets an SO end enhancement.

Any toggle power that cost more than .26 end get an SO end enhancement before any other enhancement.

If possible, get a Panacea: +HP/+end slotted in Health as early as possible. I put this in a second slot in this power.

By level 26 you should have at least 4 slots in stamina. 3 SO end mod enhancements and a Performance Shifter - chance for + end.

As able after level 27, add another slot to health and add a Numina: +Regen/+Recovery

4 hours ago, ryokoryu said:

teams tend to say forget the ambush in posi 1 for instance

You can warn them in advance.

Also try to get up into the room at the top of the stairs and find a corner and fight from there and move up toward the fight as able.

P2W power Plasmatic Taser (https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Plasmatic_Taser) is good about knocking ambushes back  and buying time. One of the tricks with this is to use it to knockback as many as possible, then dodge behind a wall for a couple of seconds to lose some of the agro, and then fighting the ones that you can from there before moving back up behind the team to help with the other enemies.

In the past teams will do speed TFs and until I learn what I am doing on those or getting lost on mission teams at teams skipping packs.

As a ranged character, you can make this easier for yourself by targeting the leader or the character that is taking point.

I generally go with the team leader.

now they have a box around their edges so they stand out. Hit "f" to automatically follow them. Don't run right up on them, just use that when you lose your directions.

When you have another character targeted, you are targeting through them. You will both hit the same targets and this will help take down enemies faster. It will also reduce your agro.

By sticking with the character that you have targeted, they should be going where they need to go so that should help avoid some of the confusion.

My instinct is to kill everything and I can only see part of the screen at a time so I can get into trouble fast before I know I am in trouble.

By targeting, following, and firing through the leader or point character, you should avoid most of these issues.

I didn't pick electric for numbers I picked it for a theme.  That theme includes the arcane tree.  An arcane witch with lightning spells and arcane spells.  Energy aura is basically mage armor or magic shields etc.  

Yeah. I'm a character conception player as well.

Neat thing that the other players have already pointed out is that you can put end mods in there. I agree with you that end drain isn't all that great, but you can put another Performance Shifter: Chance for + End in those powers. I wouldn't put one in all of them, but having 2 or 3 slotted really does help an electric with end issues.

I would strongly suggest getting at least one Devastation: chance for Hold in your fastest low damage range attack(s).

Remember that Arcane blast can charge when you use other powers. When they yellow circle appears around it, it will do extra damage. I try to hold off using that power until that yellow circle appears around it.

If you don't have enough end, don't use enflame. If you use enflame, use it on a tank or brute.

If you don't have enough end, don't use spirit ward. If you use spirit ward, use it on a squishy.

I know that is a habit that develops slowly in me because of my vision issues.

All the SFX can be a real issue for me - especially if someone decides that they want all white powers - which really hurts my eyes.

You can use these two macros that will greatly help in that regard:

/macro fx0 "noparticles 1"
/macro fx1 "noparticles 0"

The first macro turns particles off.

The second macro turns the particles back on, but they won't completely reset until you zone. So things like the oro portal and sg portals won't be as visible as normal.

If you buy set IOs, I suggest always buying them as attuned. They cost the same amount as the non-attuned ones and level with you as you level and can be slotted at the minimum level for the set.

Don't have enough loot for all that?

Yomo has a giveaway :

... and other players are often willing to help out with a little here and there ...

That would be my suggestions but, of course, play the way that is fun for you.

We are here to enjoy playing the game.

I hope some of my suggestions are helpful to to you.

• Like 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 6/22/2023 at 10:26 AM, ryokoryu said:

In the past until I get my head around building historically I have bad instincts.  Like I will take every power because it will sound useful until I learn what ones not to take.  Currently at 26 I don't have the end and teams tend to say forget the ambush in posi 1 for instance.  In the past teams will do speed TFs and until I learn what I am doing on those or getting lost on mission teams at teams skipping packs.  My instinct is to kill everything and I can only see part of the screen at a time so I can get into trouble fast before I know I am in trouble.  I didn't pick electric for numbers I picked it for a theme.  That theme includes the arcane tree.  An arcane witch with lightning spells and arcane spells.  Energy aura is basically mage armor or magic shields etc.  

Electric is fine though. I'm currently leveling an Elec/Rad and soloed Posi 1 and 2 at +0x3. It was a pleasure to destroy the Vhaz AV without a problem compared to my unfortunate Dark/Bio that used multiple Recovery Serums and whittled the AV very very slowly until running out of inspirations.

I tried to put an Elec/Energy build together for you. It's a bit cobbled but it should work. You will have the soft cap for defense, a heal, an endurance recovery clickie, decent resistances and an obscene amount of recharge (Hasten at 118 without the build having FF procs), and a very easy/fast and early blooming rotation of Tasla Cage, Charged Bolts, Zapping Bolt, Charged Bolts, repeat.

The powers are somewhat in order but there are so many important or useful things that it's difficult to choose what to pick first while leveling. The slots are rearranged by Mids and not to be taken as gospel.

[/img]
View This Build In MRB

This is an end-game(expensive build. If you feel you'd like a leveling build let me know.

1. If you're teaming, anything you throw together as a build for the most part is going to be fine unless you just absolutely have no understanding of the game mind you.. You do understand the basics of the game so that's not an issue.

But with that said, since you haven't really played homecoming servers in a long while as you indicate, and the changes they've made to most all aspects of play over the years you've not played, then in some ways consider that its a new game for you to a certain extent.  Frame things as such then as you go forward.

2. Teams doing content below 30's are going to generally be with individuals who have powers unslotted, slotted minimally and almost everyone has end management issues. This is more normal than you realize. Of course there will be mixes of higher level and even incarnated/set slotted folks participating too but most such people do not have over the top expectations for the capabilities of everyone to be playing like its a 4star hardmode ITF.  Dont over think it.

If you're soloing more, then you're going to be more dependent on your choices than were you on a team.   As you continue leveling, slotting, etc end can get better but you just have to be aware that sometimes, some AT combos just do not solve their end management issues until they're post 50 and using incarnate abilities.  Thus, you just simply have to be more frugal in your play as you level.  Accept that.  There's no need to mash everything every second be you on a team or solo.

3.  You chose your character for theme.  Nothing wrong with that, but does your thematic wants match the reality of you as a player and your play style needs in the game?   It may or it may not.  That's for you to be mindful of really. But at the same time, accept the strengths and weaknesses of the AT's combo accordingly with you as a player and your strengths and weaknesses too.

4. You cant have it all.  Building any character is a matter of puzzling(literally) out options that suit your play needs/wants/goals. Seemingly, you're not using the MIds program yet? If not get it as that's going to help you puzzle things out as well as see more details on builds people put on the forums. 

5. Any AT combination can solo.  The real question is at what effectivity of soloing.  -1/1 or +4/8   That's a very large spectrum of considerations.

Also, any AT can contribute to a team. Their effectivity also varies accordingly.  You're playing casually not as a min/max'er.

6.  You mentioned that you find the pacing of speed team runs challenging.  Tricks for that are:

-Follow the healer/bubbler/buffers.  They'd be the main priority to stick with in case you encounter issues and usually they're also following the tank type folks.   This way, you're not chasing the tanks directly.

-Dont go off on your own.  Dont linger behind (again follow the ones mentioned above).  If they're lingering behind then press m look where everyone is as the main group, and go to them.

-Speed runs usually have someone who speeds to the last person, rest park at the start of the mission to wait their being teleported.   Or the runner to the end objective just takes care of it for the rest of the team.  No need to have any axiety over any of that.  Its part of the nature of the speed runs.  You don't need to follow everyone to the end nor do most groups expect people to, especially in the lower level runs.

- Positron 1. Essentially, dont use it as a benchmark for frustrations with task forces.  Half the time people do not listen, do not understand whats going on in the mission etc.  Just move with the herd as best as possible.  You'd be surprised by how many posi 1's fail by the last mission to the point that threads have been dedicated to it.  Some even absolutely skip doing posi 1 to save themselves the hassle unless they are needing for other reasons.  I can usually tell by the first couple of missions (or sooner) when a team's chances of succeeding are slim to none.

7.  Given points above, at this stage, asking for builds isn't necessarily going to help you.  The reason why is because good builds are with good focused goals/and playstyles outlined for them.  You're in some ways better off looking at not just sentinel forums for build ideas that more specifically match you but also via other AT subforums that use electric or Energy Armor, whilst being mindful of the sentinel's specifics.  Then deciding what best matches you. THEN coming back to the sentinel forum section, posting your specific build ideas, specifying your wants from that, and seeing from there.  

Edited by Sanguinesun

On 6/23/2023 at 5:37 AM, Sovera said:

Electric is fine though. I'm currently leveling an Elec/Rad and soloed Posi 1 and 2 at +0x3. It was a pleasure to destroy the Vhaz AV without a problem compared to my unfortunate Dark/Bio that used multiple Recovery Serums and whittled the AV very very slowly until running out of inspirations.

I tried to put an Elec/Energy build together for you. It's a bit cobbled but it should work. You will have the soft cap for defense, a heal, an endurance recovery clickie, decent resistances and an obscene amount of recharge (Hasten at 118 without the build having FF procs), and a very easy/fast and early blooming rotation of Tasla Cage, Charged Bolts, Zapping Bolt, Charged Bolts, repeat.

The powers are somewhat in order but there are so many important or useful things that it's difficult to choose what to pick first while leveling. The slots are rearranged by Mids and not to be taken as gospel.

[/img]
View This Build In MRB

This is an end-game(expensive build. If you feel you'd like a leveling build let me know.

I been waiting for that link to work but i guess it's not going to