Boomtown

Techwright

3 hours ago, Snarky said:

yes I seem to recall an old history lesson where it was important for the Nile to flood the areas to revitailize the soil.  We have a similar issue in America now that the Mississippi has been "tamed" and the once rich land around it is deteriorating.

Still, you could have spent the resources on ANYTHING besides a giant tomb lol.

...but then you'd piss off the aliens...

cat-and-aliens_o_1248676.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Are you overthinking this? If you want to put your urban civil engineering skilz to the test in a gaming environment wouldn't you better spend your time in Cities: Skylines or similar?

Nope. Unfortunately after so long doing civil design and inspection for public works, all of this stuff pops into my head like a reflexive action. Game, traveling, being overseas, movies...it just doesn't turn off anymore. 😰  Wish it would sometimes though. Traffic, grading, hydrology...all of it. Won't comment on how many times my family has caught me muttering about the improper street signage and channelization markings in the game and such. 😇

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Go0gleplex said:

Nope. Unfortunately after so long doing civil design and inspection for public works, all of this stuff pops into my head like a reflexive action. Game, traveling, being overseas, movies...it just doesn't turn off anymore. 😰  Wish it would sometimes though. Traffic, grading, hydrology...all of it. Won't comment on how many times my family has caught me muttering about the improper street signage and channelization markings in the game and such. 😇

I hope you'll forgive me in this instance if I take your "Nope" for a firm and very solid "Yes!"

But I would suggest for the (majority of the) rest of us, it's almost certainly a non-issue. I'm sorry if that impacts the game negatively for you.

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

1 hour ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

I hope you'll forgive me in this instance if I take your "Nope" for a firm and very solid "Yes!"

But I would suggest for the (majority of the) rest of us, it's almost certainly a non-issue. I'm sorry if that impacts the game negatively for you.

No...I meant Nope. Not yes...simply because I'm not thinking about it. It's subconscious...almost like seeing a red ball and recognizing it as a red ball. 😉  And no...it doesn't impact the game negatively for me...no more than real world stuff does for much the same reasons. >chuckles<  I am very aware it is a game...so I don't dwell on any of it. THAT would be asking for headaches. lol  

6 hours ago, Snarky said:

I seem to recall an old history lesson where it was important for the Nile to flood the areas to revitailize the soil. 

That was one of the reasons why so many of the big structures were built in what could be characterized as 'high desrt' — the areas that flooded had to be reserved to the greatest extent possible for agriculture.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

There are so many great ideas for the game… ranging from story, to visual, to technical. It’s crazy. I have recently begun to think about what would need to be done, and the amount of work and expertise needed is tremendous. 

So with limited resources, the devs prioritize.  #1 priority are things that hinder gameplay. 

After that, new power sets.  And improving powers. 

After that, new items for SG bases. 

And I believe that the Kallisti Warf is currently being worked on to come alive, including contacts and story arcs. 

It’s just a lot. 

Keep suggesting things though. Maybe one day it will raise in priority and your post would be there to provide additional depth and ideas. You never know. 😀

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/19/2023 at 9:20 AM, Techwright said:

At this stage in the game's timeline, how far are we past the events that turned Baumton into Boomtown?  Clearly enough, at least, to begin some reconstruction.

I ask, because, shouldn't we be detonating those incredibly dangerous skyscrapers immediately?  Dangerous not only due to falling, but due to many being used on their more stable floors as hives of scum and villainy.  Would it not be better to turn them into piles of rubble to be removed at some future point as reconstruction gradually proceeds?  Send leagues of heroes and anti-heroes in to chase out the villains and drop the buildings.  Scores of gravity and time heroes should be able to help in a cooperative effort in keeping the collapse to a minimum, reducing dust clouds and such.

Interesting conversation but the truth is that you should think of zones as set pieces in a movie.  Boomtown is a burned out cityscape filled with buildings that are falling and housing hives of scum and villainy.  This is the setting for many villains to hatch their schemes and heroes to thwart them.  If all those buildings were fixed, then we'd lose that set piece.   I could see an update like what was done with Faultline and Dark Astoria, to give the zone more gameplay value.  But you wouldn't want to "fix" it.  If it was actually fixed, then the heroes wouldn't have a reason to go there anymore.  

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

I'd like to see boomtown get more defined as a battleground between villain groups, rather than just being revitalised.

Paragon City obviously wants to regenerate it, and make progress in the south east area. But the family and the Tsoo are already competing over the new real estate and slowing down progress.

In the west, the council are establishing more military training camps, research labs and factories. They aim to claim the entirety of Boomtown as their territory and establish a fortress in paragon city.

In the north lies the Clockwork Kingdom, a nonsensical cluster of brass spires, keeps and contraptions spliced into the ruins. The clockwork minions are rapidly sprawling its borders, threatening the other regions with sheer force of numbers and expansion. The synapse TF would move entirely to there.

• Like 1

• 1 month later

I agree - a lot of potential in Boomtown.

I did a long AE series where a part of the premise was that Langston Corp was getting grants to revitalize hazard zones, as the only ones willing to do it, and bringing along the Gold Brickers as "security" for the hazard zones. "Boom Time in Boomtown" was the first arc I wrote in the series - but its been filled in with several before and after now.

Even in that - the potential of so many gangs controlling the vast area, and the potential of so many secrets in those ruined buildings, was compelling to write to. It's across the river so separated from so much of Paragon City - it "feels" further removed than Croatoa which has a University active.

Edited by Ankylosaur
  • Like 1

AE Arcs: Search for @Ankylosaur    * denotes Dev's Choice

• Adventures in Lit:  Adventures in Wonderland - 25-54*  |  Adventures in Oz - 40-54  |  Adventures in Neverland - 45-54
  • Notable One-offs: Rularularian - 41-54*  |  The Serpent Beyond the Horizon - 46-52*   |  Robolution - 25-34*  |  The Genesis & Geneticists of The Coming Hamiggedon -  41-54*   |  Spycraft and Spidermen - 40-47  |  Return to Faultline - 40-54 
  • Post-Praetoria Series: All That Glitters: Gold Brickers & Mooks 9 Arcs  |   All That Glimmers:  First Warders & Mu - 9 Arcs  | All That Glints: The Awakened & Council - 3 Arcs  |  All That Glows: Nictus & 5th Column - 3 Arcs*   |  All That Gleams: Epilogue (Neo Tokyo) - 1 Arc