Creating "The Endless" - The 7 D's

Echo Night

After watching "The Sandman" Netflix show when it was released last year, and seeing "Dream," I knew I had finally found the look I had been searching many years for my namesake. While impossible to recreate that look exactly, I came up with a very satisfactory facsimile. I am now rewatching and decided to try and recreate "The Endless" with Echo in front of their name.

Admittedly, I know less than zero about the characters aside from the tv show. I've spent the last couple or so hours researching them to get as close to their look as possible, but when researching their powers, I'm fairly stumped. Most of them, if not all, seem to be able to use some kind of Mind and Time Manipulation power (which would be boring gameplay) but that's kinda where the descriptions become vague. Dream from what I saw, seemed to be the only one who actually has a specific power that he used to "win." All of them are nigh indestructible, super strong, immortal, capable magic users, omni-everything, can teleport and the list goes on. But, what CoH powersets would each use? Most of them would seem to be a Controller or a Dominator, but, having only seen Dream, Death (not your Winchesters' Death), Desire, and Despair in the show, I don't have much else to grab onto.

Here's what I would assume each of The Endless powers would be.

Destiny - Grav/Time

Death - Empathy/Psy

Dream - Mind/Dark

Destruction - BS/EnA (Before he left his realm, but, after?)

Desire - Rad/Pain

DespairDark/Poison

Delight/Delirium - Mind/Time

Edited by Echo Night
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm a big fan of themed supergroups like this.  I've got one based on the seven deadly sins, and one based on the five levels of DEFCON.  The trick is using your imagination (and maybe some work in the costume creator) for power selection!

Who run Bartertown?

5 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I'm a big fan of themed supergroups like this.

I have to say that I am as well. But as it seems with the OP ( @Echo Night ), they are solo SGs.

Some were based on the idea of a group that was organized intentionally. This seems to fit more to what Echo is discussing building versus the SGs I have that have characters of different origins tha banded together to fight the forces of evil that plague Paragon City.

Thinking about it really only 3 are entirely theme based versus team-based ... if that makes any sense. I would count the Challengers of the Unknown, Captain Marvel Family, Flash Family, Batman Family, Eternals, Amazons, Bionic 6,  and Transformers to be themed group. I would also count the various Repeat Offender groups to be themed groups.

The other ones are all characters that banded together as an SG group or team so I thin that this fall out of the themed SG. I think groups like the JSA, JLA, Legion of Superheroes, Invaders, Avengers, and Defenders would fall under this.

But then I'm a bit stuck on which way some would go. GI Joe, Fantastic 4, and X-men. Obviously all of the GI Joe are part of the military. The Fantastic 4 (at least the original ones) were all exposed to cosmic rays. The X-men is composed of mutants (but who knows after retcon-ing if this is still the case). They all have different abilities and powers and origin before joining the SG.

The theme of these SGs? Well, I alway keep on my mask, but you might run into members of my SGs in game (many that run on or with PuGs probably have a this point).

The SG that I'm in with sg mates have characters together in a SG which is of divergent themes. However, when we play together we generally run themed teams. So I guess they are sub-SG SG-themed teams ... if that makes any sense.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

14 hours ago, EmperorSteele said:

FYI, "The Sandman" is/was a long-running comic book series; you should be able to fill any gaps in knowledge or what the show left out via diving thru some nerdy wikis.

That's what I've been doing for the last day or so. But of the ones I've come across, none explicitly say what actual powers are used by The Endless except for Dream. As I mentioned in the OP, they are all Omni-everything. More powerful than Gods since they predate even them. They all have absolute control of their own realms, which to me, means some form of Mind or Illusionary control. But, I don't want to play that many Mind trollers or Doms.

I guessed Destruction would be a BS/EnA brute because of a picture of him in full armor and that he can control energy, but this was before he abandoned the family and realm. I would have liked to make him a tank but there isn't an EnA set there. What he does after, I've so far, not been able to ascertain aside from just living a life of solitude.

Death is an Emp/Psi, which shocked me when I read up on what her actual station in existence is. I assumed she was, you know, DEATH. Emp/Psi just seemed to fit.

With Dream, I was toying with making him an Ill/Earth/Time troller, but Ill doesn't have any sleep powers, Mind has two and Earth, although it doesn't seem too far a stretch to say Dream could use these powers, aside from the color schemes, doesn't jive with what I feel Dream's powers are. That's mostly because of unfamiliarity with the books and comics. Maybe he is more Earth than Mind? Mind isn't boring by any stretch, but I have quite a few Mind//Mind already and was hoping there would be something else I could use. I decided on Mind/Dark instead of /Time.

Destiny seemed fairly straightforward. Grav/Time. Not much else fit him in my mind.

Delirium is Mind/Time I think. Some of the descriptions just lent themselves to this path. Ill/Storm could work too due to the chaotic and everchanging illusionary nature of her realm. Might just change that up to have something other than Mind and time.

Desire is probably the trickiest for me. I chose Rad/Pain because of the effects of his (or hers) interactions have on mortals. Rad because it lowers defense on those it hits (in game of course) which D(d)esire definitely does do to people. Pain because D(d)esire makes people do things they wouldn't do under normal circumstances and that oftentimes leads to some form of mental pain and hurt and sometimes even physical pain.

Despair's powers were chosen mostly because, again, she could be a Mind//Mind. So, I decided to look at what despair actually does to someone instead of what Despair of the Endless would do to someone. I know this is an odd take since Despair is the living embodiment of despair, but, again, that whole Mind//Mind trap. So, Dark was chosen because of the state of mind someone falls into when in despair. Complete and utter loss of Hope. This, unfortunately, is a state of mind I am very familiar with. At times, the Sun doesn't even seem to exist because of the seemingly always present "darkness" one feels one is in. Not always, just more than not. Poison was chosen because one emotionally poisons the very air they breathe with their endless thoughts of, stuff... and wherever one goes, (if one goes anywhere at all) that poison follows them like a thick cloud of very tangible and inescapable, depression. A birthday party or a baby shower could spontaneously erupt on one's face and one would seek shelter within oneself because that's where "true" happiness is. Despair sucks, lol! Now that I'm writing this, Claws/ could work too. Despair self-harms and that in turn causes others already in despair to self-harm... Yes, despair sucks.

Anyways, hope this clarifies things if there was confusion, to begin with.

Edited by Echo Night

2 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

I have to say that I am as well. But as it seems with the OP ( @Echo Night ), they are solo SGs.

Some were based on the idea of a group that was organized intentionally. This seems to fit more to what Echo is discussing building versus the SGs I have that have characters of different origins tha banded together to fight the forces of evil that plague Paragon City.

Correct. Solo SG.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Lazarillo said:

A post about the "seven-dees" and none of them are "Disco"?

I am another d: disappointed.

I'll talk to Neil about adding "Disco of the Endless" to his family so that hopefully, you will become d: Delighted.

13 hours ago, Bionic_Flea said:

I made a Mind/Trick Arrow Controller that was based on Sleep and Dreaming.  So he has 3 costumes: 

1) Dream/Sandman from the Endless,

image.thumb.png.9f90d79b8875b345a0af7b6a36f683f9.png

2) Sandman from DC Golden Age, and

image.thumb.png.88b7db0a852aa7c38b0ffae14ee887f8.png

3) Nightmare from Marvel.

image.thumb.png.ba023bf24baa45009ea61c47b32031d3.png

So, wait. Nightmare is Sandman is Dream?

This is the "Helmed" look I came up with.

image.thumb.png.60fb9a1a9be8887fbff4763318f15cb4.png

• Thumbs Up 1

It's . . . weird.   I remember when Neil Gaiman's Sandman first came out under DC brand there was a lot of hype, but in my head I still thought of DC Sandman as the Golden Age Sandman with a gas-mask and sleep gun.  So yeah, Sandman = Dream.

And once I started making alternate costumes, I wondered who in Marvel lore would be similar and I came up with Nightmare.

Oh, and that Helmet look is awesome.  I may have to steal it!  😄

• Thumbs Up 2

17 minutes ago, Bionic_Flea said:

It's . . . weird.   I remember when Neil Gaiman's Sandman first came out under DC brand there was a lot of hype, but in my head I still thought of DC Sandman as the Golden Age Sandman with a gas-mask and sleep gun.  So yeah, Sandman = Dream.

And once I started making alternate costumes, I wondered who in Marvel lore would be similar and I came up with Nightmare.

Oh, and that Helmet look is awesome.  I may have to steal it!  😄

Wouldn't Nightmare be a construct of the Dreaming? Steal away. Although, as the Dream Lord, I may have to come after you and stick yah in the Dreaming. Best not to sleep ever again or I'll find you... mu hah ah aha hahahaha!

Whelp. I'm all in on this high-concept journey of mine. I was able to register an SG for each of The Endless with the proper realm names with the exception of The Dreaming. Someone else has that. So, I called Dream's Realm, The Endless Dreaming. I'm not very experienced with base building, but, learning new things isn't a bad thing is it?