SS Secondary Choices.

ZeroSaint

Hey all,  I'm looking to take a break from a long Stalker project I've been working on and want to try running a Brute primarily solo.  I've always wanted to do SS and so I'm going to go for it- no xp bonus (I'm poor so I want to earn some money) running each TF at least once for badges/merits.  I'm looking for a good secondary with the caveat that I'm not the biggest fan of power sets with effects (Dark/Rad etc) that can't be set to minimal.  EA rides the line a bit as it can be pretty toned down.   Appreciate thoughts here.

Currently playing as:

Daughter of Crom | War Mace | Energy Aura | Scrapper 👊

Special Circumstance | Assault Rifle | Devices | Blaster 💣

/ Excelsior

If you're wanting something that will be minimal effects then you can't really go wrong with either Willpower or Invulnerability. Both of those can have very minimal/no effects at all. Heck. even Regen would be a good one for you. The Knockdown in Footstomp helps to keep you alive enough to hit your heals. You have some pretty good options honestly. 

Edited by jprewitt73

Thank you!  I'm definitely thinking between more between those three.  Something about WP has never quite worked for me and I've never been able to put my finger on it.

Currently playing as:

/ Excelsior

3 hours ago, ZeroSaint said:

Hey all,  I'm looking to take a break from a long Stalker project I've been working on and want to try running a Brute primarily solo.  I've always wanted to do SS and so I'm going to go for it- no xp bonus (I'm poor so I want to earn some money) running each TF at least once for badges/merits.  I'm looking for a good secondary with the caveat that I'm not the biggest fan of power sets with effects (Dark/Rad etc) that can't be set to minimal.  EA rides the line a bit as it can be pretty toned down.   Appreciate thoughts here.

Super reflexes can actually be quite good.  If you weren't dead-set on super strength, I'd say give ninjitsu a try on a scrapper, as it has a lot of utility, especially if you're going to do a fair bit of soloing.  Bio armor also has some "No FX" options and is quite good.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Fabulous said:

Shield is also another good one with minimal VFX.

The only "issue" I have with shield defense is, well, if you don't want a physical shield on your character.  That being said, I've seen people use the energy shield option, colored black or dark blue, and it is barely perceptible...

Edited by biostem
  • Thumbs Up 2

Thanks all.  I went back and forth over SD and Invuln.   I think I am going to go with the latter and use one of @Snarky's builds that was posted a month ago (though it's probably more than I'll have Inf for - for a while, but like I said, I'm slow boating it so all good)!

Appreciate it!

• Like 1

Currently playing as:

/ Excelsior

17 minutes ago, ZeroSaint said:

Thanks all.  I went back and forth over SD and Invuln.   I think I am going to go with the latter and use one of @Snarky's builds that was posted a month ago (though it's probably more than I'll have Inf for - for a while, but like I said, I'm slow boating it so all good)!

Appreciate it!

Yomo is giving away 100 million to anyone that asks.  His thread is now up at the top in General discussion

I know it isn't FX light, but my default would be SS/elec. It handles Rage crash as well as anything can. I had mine in the 40s until I realized I didn't like SS.

• Thumbs Up 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

On 7/27/2023 at 2:02 PM, Without_Pause said:

I had mine in the 40s until I realized I didn't like SS.

I thought the same thing with my Rad/SS tanker until I made a build where I only have four powers from SS--and that because I'm forced to take the T1 or T2.

On 7/26/2023 at 9:57 AM, ZeroSaint said:

You want SS/Invul with a Hyperstrike build.  There is a current thread with his builds on front page of Brutes.  
For sheer PvE I don’t give a shit laugh off anything and pound everyone SS/Invul is ALL.  The only two reasons I quit running it are rage crash and I have a undead fixation.  Which I would have worked i to SS/Invul if there was no crash.  It is simply the best.  Not improved on tanks because FS barely got an AoE increase it was already so good.  Brute SS rules

I’d say ss/shield just cause hurl when you have a shield is one handed and super bad ass. SR effects can be 100% turned off. Bio is cool but the adaptations can’t be minimized so make sure and check that out in costume creator. WP effects can be turned off as well. My only brute is staff/wp. It’s set and forget and visually just costume. 

• 2 weeks later
On 8/1/2023 at 10:02 PM, Thraxen said:

I’d say ss/shield just cause hurl when you have a shield is one handed and super bad ass. SR effects can be 100% turned off. Bio is cool but the adaptations can’t be minimized so make sure and check that out in costume creator. WP effects can be turned off as well. My only brute is staff/wp. It’s set and forget and visually just costume. 

^^

I have a SS/shield i was testing a Fure/Rage/Against all odds theory to try to really pump up the damage.

It works the damage is F A N T A S T I C but..........

Shield is a def based set so when rage crashes and u lose defense there's a chance of death.

I know most players aren't fond of dirtnaps but tbh its soo strong that without that bit of strategy the char would be boring to play (imo)

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

8 hours ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

^^

I have a SS/shield i was testing a Fure/Rage/Against all odds theory to try to really pump up the damage.

It works the damage is F A N T A S T I C but..........

Shield is a def based set so when rage crashes and u lose defense there's a chance of death.

I know most players aren't fond of dirtnaps but tbh its soo strong that without that bit of strategy the char would be boring to play (imo)

Mine is sd/ss tank so the rage crash isn’t really noticeable as you’re way over regular softcap even with one crash.