One Hundred Times the Victor

Keep the Mary MacComber kill counter going to a hundred.

Some folks may wonder why players might Ouro out at 69 never setting foot in the first map again, but it'd be nice to show that not only have you done the Katie Hannon TF, you're a repeat customer.

As this badge merely replaces itself over and over, it really just acts like a ticker. And One Hundred Times sounds much more dramatic (ten times more, even).

Countdown to the obvious one-upmanship of "One Thousand Times the Victor" and beyond, but c'mon now, you know that's excessive.

Edited by SpookTheHerd

I drawed things:

Gallery of my CoH Pantheon

Dumb question: would that track how often you earned 10 times the victor or just how often you defeated her?

Edit: And would you have to complete the TF to get it or could you just defeat her 10 times, bail, start a new TF, defeat her 10 times, bail, and so on until you get it? (I've witnessed players bail on our Katie Hannons after we defeated her the 10th time and they got their 10 Times The Victor badge. Not a common occurrence, but very frustrating when it happens.)

Edited by Rudra

1 hour ago, Rudra said:

Dumb question: would that track how often you earned 10 times the victor or just how often you defeated her?

Edit: And would you have to complete the TF to get it or could you just defeat her 10 times, bail, start a new TF, defeat her 10 times, bail, and so on until you get it? (I've witnessed players bail on our Katie Hannons after we defeated her the 10th time and they got their 10 Times The Victor badge. Not a common occurrence, but very frustrating when it happens.)

I can imagine that someone who might have hit the hospital has probably done this to get the ones they missed out on.

I guess now I can anticipate that certain groups might declare that they were only farming the first mission (although that would be really petty since it's a badge that replaces itself).

Edited by SpookTheHerd

I drawed things:

6 hours ago, SpookTheHerd said:

I guess now I can anticipate that certain groups might declare that they were only farming the first mission (although that would be really petty since it's a badge that replaces itself).

... you haven't paid attention to badgers, have you. 🙂

But.. yeah, I pretty much see a month's worth of "Mary farms" being the main result of this.

• Sad 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

@SpookTheHerd, you do know you can respond to multiple items/posts in a single post, yes? In your post, you can click the "Quote" button as many times as you want, and it adds the quote where the cursor is in your own post. Same thing for highlighting sections of someone else's post and click the popup "Quote Selection" button.

(Edit: Also, I don't mind if a player joins just to get the badge. A "Hi, can I join long enough to get the 10 Times The Victor badge and then bail?" is always met by a "Sure" by my friends and I. It is when someone joins and then just disappears after defeating Mary for the 10th time so we're stuck going "Did they DC? Should we wait for them? ... Oh, no. They just quit and are doing other things now." that causes me frustration.)

Edited by Rudra

On 8/2/2023 at 1:04 PM, Greycat said:

But.. yeah, I pretty much see a month's worth of "Mary farms" being the main result of this.

Except that from the moment it says "Once the Victor" to the moment it says "Ten Times the Victor" to the moment it theoretically says "One Hundred Times the Victor", the badge count will always be exactly one. It's not even badge hoarding, just kill-count perfectionism which would cause a player to be so determined to reach one hundred, another reason I figure some (cool) players will just cold quit at a landmark number like 69 or double 7's or maybe their birth year or whatever. Their choice. It's only ever a count of one badge.

I drawed things:

1 hour ago, SpookTheHerd said:
On 8/2/2023 at 11:04 AM, Greycat said:

Except that from the moment it says "Once the Victor" to the moment it says "Ten Times the Victor" to the moment it theoretically says "One Hundred Times the Victor", the badge count will always be exactly one. It's not even badge hoarding, just kill-count perfectionism which would cause a player to be so determined to reach one hundred, another reason I figure some (cool) players will just cold quit at a landmark number like 69 or double 7's or maybe their birth year or whatever. Their choice. It's only ever a count of one badge.

You are misunderstanding the post you are responding to. Whether it says Once the Victor, Ten Times the Victor, or One Hundred Times the Victor, badgers will pursue the final tally to have the "correct" badges. No badger accepts Once the Victor and walks away from a Katie Hannon. They go for Ten Times the Victor. And if Ten Times the Victor gets a superseding badge called X Times the Victor regardless of what new value X becomes? Mary will find herself farmed until every badger that has Ten Times the Victor now has X Times the Victor.

Edit: So if there is a new 100 Times the Victor badge that supersedes Ten Times the Victor? Badgers will get to the full 100 Times the Victor, because anything less isn't the badge.

Edit again: And adding to that, for those that want a specific number? The only way to get it is to bail from the task force before it gets changed to the new number*, leaving the team shorthanded for the ongoing and progressively more difficult fights with Mary mid-mission. Not exactly a nice thing to do. (Especially if that means players progressively bail from the TF to get that one specific number they want, leaving the potentially single player that wants to do the TF alone against Mary and having to quit as well to form a new team so (s)he can actually run the TF (s)he wants to actually do.)

Edit yet again:

* - And then absolutely never again do the TF or they will lose that number. Hope they don't have friends that want to do the TF after, because either they can't play together then, someone is going to lose that count, or the friends don't get to do a fairly fun task to accommodate the friend that refuses to.

Edited by Rudra
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Rudra said:

Edit again: And adding to that, for those that want a specific number? The only way to get it is to bail from the task force before it gets changed to the new number*, leaving the team shorthanded for the ongoing and progressively more difficult fights with Mary mid-mission. Not exactly a nice thing to do. (Especially if that means players progressively bail from the TF to get that one specific number they want, leaving the potentially single player that wants to do the TF alone against Mary and having to quit as well to form a new team so (s)he can actually run the TF (s)he wants to actually do.)

Edit yet again:

* - And then absolutely never again do the TF or they will lose that number. Hope they don't have friends that want to do the TF after, because either they can't play together then, someone is going to lose that count, or the friends don't get to do a fairly fun task to accommodate the friend that refuses to.

Edited 2 hours ago by Rudra

You do have a good point on this - can we also have a way (perhaps through Null) to equip a specific one of the earned hundred badges, assuming we've earned that one? (e.g. someone with 80 kills could select 30x, but not 85x)  Certain values have better rings to them (or are desired for other reasons), so that'd help prevent people from just leaving

On 8/2/2023 at 6:40 AM, SpookTheHerd said:

I was just imaging the next time you go in it picks right back up from 11 and keeps counting (hence the expected wave of people disappearing from the mission when they hit 69)

Me, I'd stop at 42. 

On 8/3/2023 at 8:11 AM, Chance Jackson said:

For the player who really hates Mary

There's something about Mary.

• Thumbs Up 1