UltraAlt

Meet ARCHAX, the human-piloted robot

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/backstories/2702/

MYJ0weaiO9664T9NFf9Fj8vTvk0cwtOYNq9Bl25c

ONpzzeAgjJWWlifnhT6ZVsWwzse980VYhiQ0rruY

NTAXLcfABrYSkn9bynpZKt9Ikcq7PkScpKoSkWQn

Article streamlined ::

Tsubame Industries has created ARCHAX.

It currently plans to sell five units for roughly 400 million yen each.

ARCHAX stands an imposing 4.5 meters tall and weighs a hefty 3.5 tons. The cockpit is located in its chest.

Nine cameras attached to ARCHAX's exterior transmit live images to cockpit monitors, allowing the pilot to navigate.

Two joysticks control ARCHAX's arms and hands, which have articulating fingers.

In robot mode, ARCHAX stands up and can travel at 2 kilometers per hour. In vehicle mode, it crouches down and can hit a top speed of 10 kilometers per hour.

The frame is built by an ironworks firm that makes parts for heavy construction machinery. The exterior is made of the same fiber-reinforced plastics used in F1 cars.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

I for one am looking forward to having a powered exo-suit instead of a mobility scooter when I get old (or possibly a combination of the two. I'd need it in red and gold though - I am Iron Gran...)

https://hackaday.com/2020/10/21/exoskeleton-muscles-powered-by-hydrogen/

There's also a full size actual Gundam animatronic, though thankfully it can't move around yet...

https://thegaijinghost.com/blog/japan-life-sized-gundam-through-years

And it's nice to know that the Terminators will flee when confronted with the average New Yorker.

https://www.wired.com/story/nypd-spot-boston-dynamics-robot-dog/

• Thumbs Up 1

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

23 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

Meet ARCHAX, the human-piloted robot

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/backstories/2702/

MYJ0weaiO9664T9NFf9Fj8vTvk0cwtOYNq9Bl25c

ONpzzeAgjJWWlifnhT6ZVsWwzse980VYhiQ0rruY

NTAXLcfABrYSkn9bynpZKt9Ikcq7PkScpKoSkWQn

Article streamlined ::

Tsubame Industries has created ARCHAX.

It currently plans to sell five units for roughly 400 million yen each.

ARCHAX stands an imposing 4.5 meters tall and weighs a hefty 3.5 tons. The cockpit is located in its chest.

Nine cameras attached to ARCHAX's exterior transmit live images to cockpit monitors, allowing the pilot to navigate.

Two joysticks control ARCHAX's arms and hands, which have articulating fingers.

In robot mode, ARCHAX stands up and can travel at 2 kilometers per hour. In vehicle mode, it crouches down and can hit a top speed of 10 kilometers per hour.

The frame is built by an ironworks firm that makes parts for heavy construction machinery. The exterior is made of the same fiber-reinforced plastics used in F1 cars.

How long until it becomes a Doctor Who character?

13 hours ago, Techwright said:

How long until it becomes a Doctor Who character?

I don't know.

I hear Doctor Who is getting a budget from Disney, so ...

Edited by UltraAlt

That was a happy memory: one of my godsons got into an argument with a Dalek in our local bookshop, completely failing to notice the bookshop manager with a throat mic who was trying his best not to break character or laugh...

• Haha 3

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

• 2 months later

TBH, until there's some major breakthrough in battery technology or some sort of ubiquitous wireless power transmission system implemented, any sort of robot is going to be rather limited in its operational range or have to deal with some sort of tether or umbilical.

• 3 months later
  • 5 weeks later

Fans bid farewell to life-size Gundam statue

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20240401_22/

Fans of Japanese anime "Mobile Suit Gundam" have gathered in Yokohama, near Tokyo, to say goodbye to a life-size statue of the robot after which the sci-fi series was named.

About 1,500 people attended an event on Sunday night to mark the end of the robot's display at Yokohama Port.

The 18-meter-tall figure has functional joints. Since its display began in December 2020, the robot has become a symbol of the port.

The display period was extended twice, with more than 1.75 million people coming to see the figure.

The series's chief director Tomino Yoshiyuki said Gundam resembles a large Buddha statue, and building it was an engineering experiment.

He said he is grateful for the huge staff who helped realize the project.

Gundam moved its fingers and legs one last time.

Visitors applauded when fireworks were launched and 1,000 drones aligned to form images of Gundam and other characters of the anime in the sky.

An 8-year-old boy from Yokohama said the figure is impressive and he wants to see it again.

A university student from Niigata Prefecture said he was deeply moved, and he wants Gundam to be shown again.

The robot will be dismantled at the port.

Fans bid farewell to life-size Gundam statue

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20240401_22/

Fans of Japanese anime "Mobile Suit Gundam" have gathered in Yokohama, near Tokyo, to say goodbye to a life-size statue of the robot after which the sci-fi series was named.

About 1,500 people attended an event on Sunday night to mark the end of the robot's display at Yokohama Port.

The 18-meter-tall figure has functional joints. Since its display began in December 2020, the robot has become a symbol of the port.

The display period was extended twice, with more than 1.75 million people coming to see the figure.

The series's chief director Tomino Yoshiyuki said Gundam resembles a large Buddha statue, and building it was an engineering experiment.

He said he is grateful for the huge staff who helped realize the project.

Gundam moved its fingers and legs one last time.

Visitors applauded when fireworks were launched and 1,000 drones aligned to form images of Gundam and other characters of the anime in the sky.

An 8-year-old boy from Yokohama said the figure is impressive and he wants to see it again.

A university student from Niigata Prefecture said he was deeply moved, and he wants Gundam to be shown again.

The robot will be dismantled at the port.

• 3 weeks later

• 2 weeks later

They've finally found a way to make the Boston Dynamics thing not terrifying.

...though if they went to the Creature Shop and got the OG version, I'd be saving up for one.