October 2023 Donations & Finances

Cipher

• City Council

Hello everyone!

As always with these posts, I’d like to drop a quick reminder that there are more ways to support Homecoming than just through donations. For a general overview of the different ways you can help Homecoming, check out this thread.

Last Month: September 2023

Last month we accepted $5,070.07 in donations, $6.12 over our target for the month. As always, any additional funding remaining at the end of each month is put towards our operating expenses for the following month or additional expenses for the current month.

Update: OVH has increased prices on our additional IP addresses by approx. $0.60 per address. They invoiced us for an additional $18 this month, and the change will be included in our main invoice from them going forward.

Here is the breakdown of our expenses in September:

• $4,398.99 for our hardware infrastructure from OVH
    • + $18 due to price increases for our additional IP addresses
  • $473.59 to our legal counsel for work completed up to July 31st
    • Shows as transfer to bank account for wire transfer
  • $121.19 for our Google G-Suite services
  • $25.00 for our Air instance from Paperspace
  • $20.82 for the AWS EC2 instance serving our email
  • $17.00 for one 1-year domain renewal
    • IONOS has renewed the domain but has not generated an invoice for this yet, I’ll update the post when we’ve received an invoice from them
  • $9.73 for security / administration software (redacted)

image.png.f39e814e5434231e3d3028c250170ddc.png

This Month: October 2023

The donation target for October 2023 is $4,972.83. Here is a breakdown of how the funds are allocated:

• $4,416.99 for our hardware infrastructure from OVH
  • $300.00 for our annual DocuSign renewal
  • $121.57 for our Google G-Suite services
  • $85.37 to our legal counsel for work completed up to August 31st
  • $25.00 for our Air instance from Paperspace
  • $19.25 for the AWS EC2 instance serving our email
  • $9.73 for security / administration software (redacted)

Our donation system will be open as of the time of this post with a donation target of $4,972.83 and will automatically close once that target is met.

- The Homecoming Team

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Cipher

City Council

If you need help, please submit a support request here or use /petition in-game.

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

• Cipher pinned this topic

As always, my pleasure to contribute to a worthy cause.  I do wish there was active advertisement of Homecoming's existence going on.  I feel like the membership numbers (and, by extension, the donation capacity) would be greatly increased.  I don't know how many times a week I see a post by a new member, saying that they always loved this game, and remembered it fondly; but had no earthly idea that it had been resurrected.  I have no doubts that there are many more out there in the same position.  Word of mouth is OK.  But, yelling it from the rooftops in forums where it has the chance to gain traction, would be much better. 

Just my .02 of a dollar's worth.

Edited by Abraxus
  • Like 4

What was no more, is REBORN!

10 hours ago, TorontoSunshine said:

There should be a credit card option. I am not sure if that would help?

I checked a couple weeks ago; it looks like Paypal and credit card fees are roughly equivalent. Theoretically, we could mail them paper checks, but I don't think they'd want to broadcast a mailing address... unless HC got a PO box, of course.

17 minutes ago, ArtoriosRex said:

I checked a couple weeks ago; it looks like Paypal and credit card fees are roughly equivalent. Theoretically, we could mail them paper checks, but I don't think they'd want to broadcast a mailing address... unless HC got a PO box, of course.

It would be nice to have many methods of payment for those who don't have Paypal or are uncomfortable using credit cards.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/30/2023 at 3:18 PM, Abraxus said:

As always, my pleasure to contribute to a worthy cause.  I do wish there was active advertisement of Homecoming's existence going on.  I feel like the membership numbers (and, by extension, the donation capacity) would be greatly increased.  I don't know how many times a week I see a post by a new member, saying that they always loved this game, and remembered it fondly; but had no earthly idea that it had been resurrected.  I have no doubts that there are many more out there in the same position.  Word of mouth is OK.  But, yelling it from the rooftops in forums where it has the chance to gain traction, would be much better. 

Just my .02 of a dollar's worth.

Indeed If advertisement was possible the player numbers would be higher

• Like 1

I am honestly a little surprised how long it has taken to meet the donation target.  I remember a time when it would complete in 30 minutes, or less.  Here we are a little over two days later, and still at 89%.  I know that gives folks who normally miss the window, a chance they haven't had much, up 'till now.  But, I do wonder if it is a communication issue, a membership issue, or just a reluctance to donate any longer.

• Like 1

What was no more, is REBORN!

14 hours ago, Abraxus said:

I am honestly a little surprised how long it has taken to meet the donation target.  I remember a time when it would complete in 30 minutes, or less.  Here we are a little over two days later, and still at 89%.  I know that gives folks who normally miss the window, a chance they haven't had much, up 'till now.  But, I do wonder if it is a communication issue, a membership issue, or just a reluctance to donate any longer.

I noticed that too but I think (and this is just my opinion) it's because people are feeling the pinch from skyrocketing inflation. My weekly grocery shopping bill went up $20 Canadian since January so it costs me $80 more every month just to buy food. My landlady raised my rent to cover her rising costs as well. I can see how people might not have the money to donate since their disposable income is shrinking. I don't buy new games when they come out any more: I either wait until the price drops or purchase games from independent developers on Steam. 

Edited by TorontoSunshine

1 hour ago, TorontoSunshine said:

I noticed that too but I think (and this is just my opinion) it's because people are feeling the pinch from skyrocketing inflation. My weekly grocery shopping bill went up $20 Canadian since January so it costs me $80 more every month just to buy food. My landlady raised my rent to cover her rising costs as well. I can see how people might not have the money to donate since their disposable income is shrinking. I don't buy new games when they come out any more: I either wait until the price drops or purchase games from independent developers on Steam. 

It's the same situation here in the UK.

• Like 1

• Widower unpinned this topic