Played a few Doms, need more ideas pls!

Pyre Elf

Howdy, I’m @PyreElf from Excelsior server. My goal is to make a LOT of dominators, since they’re my favorite AT in the game.

Im here looking for power suggestions if you have some… (I really like to try weird combos!).

Here’s my current list of dominators I have IOd and Incarnated at 50 (with a lil star meaning I really enjoy how they play):

Earth/Fire/Fire * (main from live)

Earth/Psi/Psi *

Ice/Ice/Ice *

Grav/Thorny/Fire *(incredibly fun!)

Grav/Fire/Fire

Fire/Sonic/Fire

Elec/Earth/Mu

Symph/Fire/Fire
Illusion/Fire/Fire

As you can see, I chose fire as a secondary a few times now mainly because I feel dominators are more affiliated with fire abilities cuz one of their ATOs create Fiery Orbs… so I did myself a favor and stopped playing my fire blasters and just went for a few Fiery Assault dominators instead. I also highly enjoy casting Rain of Fire and Immobilizing mobs so they melt in place… I feel like this is partly unique to dominators along with the Fiery Orbs.

Ive also played a couple /Savage doms, /Rad assault and /Dark. Although I never enjoyed the dmg output in Dark Assault for some reason. Just seemed lacking. 

BUT all that being said… please suggest me some power combos! I’d like to create at least one dominator of every power type so I can say I fully tested them out! I’m working on a Mind/Martial now. 

I guess that leaves Dark Control and Plant still to be toyed with… along with Savage and maybe something else?

If you have power suggestions please let me know (even if they’re close to my builds I already listed), I’m all ears.

Edited by Pyre Elf
  • Like 1

A Savage dom can be a blapper too, my Ice/Sav (or is that Sav/Ice?) is loads of fun to me.  I do like blapper Doms...

Edited by Clave Dark 5
  • Like 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Grav / Earth / Soul works. In fact, using wormhole to get fuel for soul drain works really well. Plus, the knocks in several earth assault powers and the hold in seismic smash help to make up for the limited amount of control in Gravity. Consider taking Vigor or Cardiac alpha because earth assault really chews through endurance. 

Mind / Radiation / Psi works well as a "science" origin character. Functionally it's very solid. 

Electric / electric / mu should work fairly well, overall. 

Dark / dark / soul is thematic and effective. Soul drain helps to increase dark assault damage, which is helpful. Incidentally, consider putting the +damage unique IO in the dominator AT set into midnight grasp. With good recharge you can have 2-3 stacks of that that IO's damage bonus a lot of the time. Also, proc up both smite and gloom to take their damage to another level. 

Plant / ice / leviathan for a coral creature that mutated and became sentient. Pretty solid combination, grab water spout for defense debuffs. 

Gravity / energy / primal forces for that mad scientist in a suit of power armor

GL on your quest to find more fun dom combos. There are plenty of them.

Edited by EnjoyTheJourney
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Plant/Thorn is an absolute roller.  So many AoEs.  I wish I had tried a few different Dominators before hitting upon Plant/Thorn, because every dom I've tried after that fails to measure up to it.

• Like 1

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

On 10/15/2023 at 5:00 AM, Clave Dark 5 said:

A Savage dom can be a blapper too, my Ice/Sav (or is that Sav/Ice?) is loads of fun to me.  I do like blapper Doms...

I just hit 50 with mine (Ice/Savage/Ice). It is a lot of fun. Takes a quantum leap once you get perma-dom.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

Plant/Earth is extremely fun when I leveled it, and feels nice and crunchy with the melee damage it brings and fun for proc'ing also seeds is kinda gross on what it does. Ice/Psi is a personal favorite as it lives in melee and and all about the scrapping, usually stacking a lot of slow and -rech keep people at bay, also the flash freeze is a nice proc bomb to open up combat.

I have no experience with it, but I remember seeing someone talking about ice/savage being a very scrappy build which can wreak havoc on mobs. With a lot of soft control ice brings which is had for mobs to avoid - mainly knockdown with ice patch and the aura confuse, which is great now with Perma-Dom. Looking on the wiki the melee focus of savage plays nicely into this, with a self heal effect and damage boot. 

• Like 1

Psicy Chill - Ice/Psi/Psi | Sive Ni Brielan - Plant/Earth/Fire | Elemental Elder Lord - Earth/Fire/Fire | Selinia Baneheart - Dark/Therm/Fire | Mylia Stenetch - Necro/Dark/Soul | Radiated Shot - Rad/Arch/Mace | Nameless Witch - Storm/Water/Mu | Phantom Racer - Fire/Cold/Scorp | Neera Darkspar - Beam/Temp/Soul | Neera Etra - Dark/SR | Shieldbreaker - Elec/Shield/Mu | Frozen Tombstress Ice/Rad/Ice | Subliminal Darkness - Psi/Dark/Psi | Mirana Darkblade - Katana/Regen/Soul | Máistir Fiach - SoA Huntmaster | Night Reaver - SoA Widow | Sweet Senpai - SoA Bane

You may find Mind/Martial a little underwhelming as I did.

That said some other really fun combos I have:

• Elec/Psi - it's a very resilient sapper and fun to play.
  • Dark/Thorns - dark is strong around and thorns seemed to match the concept, it plays fairly well.
  • Fire/Energy - this was my take on a D&D wizard who fell through a portal and ended up in Paragon City.
  • Illusion/Sav/Ice - one of my favorite Domis, the powersets although different gel together really well.
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2023 at 10:53 AM, SeraphimKensai said:

You may find Mind/Martial a little underwhelming as I did.

That said some other really fun combos I have:

• Elec/Psi - it's a very resilient sapper and fun to play.
  • Dark/Thorns - dark is strong around and thorns seemed to match the concept, it plays fairly well.
  • Fire/Energy - this was my take on a D&D wizard who fell through a portal and ended up in Paragon City.
  • Illusion/Sav/Ice - one of my favorite Domis, the powersets although different gel together really well.

I was actually thinking about a fire/energy assault dom, thanks for the tip!

On 10/15/2023 at 6:19 AM, EnjoyTheJourney said:

Grav / Earth / Soul works. In fact, using wormhole to get fuel for soul drain works really well. Plus, the knocks in several earth assault powers and the hold in seismic smash help to make up for the limited amount of control in Gravity. Consider taking Vigor or Cardiac alpha because earth assault really chews through endurance. 

Mind / Radiation / Psi works well as a "science" origin character. Functionally it's very solid. 

Electric / electric / mu should work fairly well, overall. 

Dark / dark / soul is thematic and effective. Soul drain helps to increase dark assault damage, which is helpful. Incidentally, consider putting the +damage unique IO in the dominator AT set into midnight grasp. With good recharge you can have 2-3 stacks of that that IO's damage bonus a lot of the time. Also, proc up both smite and gloom to take their damage to another level. 

Plant / ice / leviathan for a coral creature that mutated and became sentient. Pretty solid combination, grab water spout for defense debuffs. 

Gravity / energy / primal forces for that mad scientist in a suit of power armor

GL on your quest to find more fun dom combos. There are plenty of them.

Thanks for the tips! I might respec my dark/dark down the road… or maybe attempt a dark/something … maybe savage or nrg