DEF+

NiteCloak

Can someone tell me what archetype/powerset/power provide the highest +Def buff to an ally? (not a self buff but one you can give to a teammate)

I was thinking Electrical Affinity's Faraday Cage might be up there but its a static location buff and I was thinking more along the lines of a buff that an ally can receive and still move about freely.

If you mean the set which hands out the most defense, that will be Force Field. Faraday Cage hands out resistance and status protection (comprehensive at that). 

If you mean a buff which increases an ally's casting of Def powers, you are right in Electrical Affinity with Amp Up. 

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, NiteCloak said:

'Power Boost' ?

They mean "Power Build Up" from the Power Mastery Epic pool.  Not only does it grant +Dam and +Acc like a normal build up power, it also boosts the secondary/buff/debuff effects of a power... so it makes a Force Fielder's shields SO much stronger.

• Thanks 1

Another answer to the question as literally posed ("the highest +Def buff to an ally?"):  Empathy with PBU + Fortitude.  Fort and FF have the same base values for +Def. 

Before the "well akshully" yes FF boosts all friendlies in range and Fort is single target.

Edited by Hedgefund

1 hour ago, Hedgefund said:

Another answer to the question as literally posed ("the highest +Def buff to an ally?"):  Empathy with PBU + Fortitude.  Fort and FF have the same base values for +Def. 

Before the "well akshully" yes FF boosts all friendlies in range and Fort is single target.

And of course FF is providing Dispersion Bubble defense and Damping Bubble DDR on top of all of that…

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, arcane said:

And of course FF is providing Dispersion Bubble defense and Damping Bubble DDR on top of all of that…

While Fort can go on roughly 4 while PBU is active and all 7 allies with a high end build.  And add both +Damage and +To Hit (boosted to hit) to those targeted allies.  That DDR, however, is a dang sweet addition to FF's bubble making the provided defense harder to remove via debuffs.

Edit:  And based on these facts I'd say a definite edge belongs to Force Fields on large (6+ Allies) and especially shielding even a small League while I'd say an edge belongs to Empathy on a small team owing to the other Empath buffs (and my own bias as an Empath fan).

Edited by Doomguide2005

17 hours ago, Psyonico said:

Defenders with power boost and Force Field is the winner for handing out +Defense.

Pair it with dark blast for giggles.

That's what I have, using power boost and clarion radial, leadership buffs, and support. It basically gets others up to incarnate softcapped defense.

The dark blast floors the mobs chance to hit, so it is likely overkill in the regard of my teammates chance to get hit.

Edited by SeraphimKensai

14 hours ago, Frozen Burn said:

They mean "Power Build Up" from the Power Mastery Epic pool.  Not only does it grant +Dam and +Acc like a normal build up power, it also boosts the secondary/buff/debuff effects of a power... so it makes a Force Fielder's shields SO much stronger.

Soul Mastery gets Power Boost, which recharges in half the time of Power Build Up (not that it really matters since PBU's base recharge is the same as the duration of the FF shields)

• Thumbs Up 1

What this team needs is more Defenders