Do you think City of Heroes helps make you a better person in real life?

Enchantica

Do you think City of Heroes helps make you a better person in real life?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think City of Heroes helps make you a better person in real life?

• Yes
    • I love Snorecraft and am a horrible person

7 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

I think this thread is just being a playful banter, and not deserving of the ire I'm about to display.... so my apologies in advance.

But the OP makes for a good object leason of how so many real world issues get messed up by bad actors in online media.  They make a post that is genuinely click worthy, but it's a bait and switch post where they goad you into picking between two options; thier prefered opinion, or something framed to be completely evil or at least grotesquely uncool.  Even though there's a thousand other options, most of them better then the two presented.  Today's talking head media socialites are not looking for real answers or real discussion with purposeful outcomes.  They don't want solutions to the problems we face.  They're just trying to suck us into their little rabbit hole of vitriol and hatred to further their own self-serving agendas.  

So, to answer the OP's question... Yeah.... CoH has made my life better.  It's been a happy place for me during some pretty dark stuff in my life.  But the internet users who use methods demonstrated by this post, not so much.

Your right it was meant as playful. 

14 hours ago, Neiska said:

"confused" Meme Templates - Imgflip

A few thoughts.

1. Being "happy" doesn't inherently make you a better person. Some very bad people have also been very happy people.

2. How does liking "snorecraft" or any video game in particular, automatically make someone a "better" person?

3. Similar to 2, how does disliking any particular video game, make someone inherently a "bad" person?

4. Far from an expert, but if you get feelings of extreme euphoria from a video game, as in more than actual real things in your life, you might want to look into that as it could be signs of other things going on.

5. I half suspect this is clickbait. But if it isn't, I worry for humanity. Well, moreso than 10 minutes ago.

Dont take it literally lol

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Nope! I'm worse as a CoH player in my opinion and average as a person in real life. I try my best to be cordial to people out in the real world, because you never know who you're interacting with. But  in CoH i'm meaner (i.e. I will never as long as I live offer another farm to this community, especially since the fire farm nerfs and seeing how farmers were viewed. Nor will I donate, outside of Dacy's base stuff, to any CC's or individual events.)

Edited by Seed22
  • Like 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

On 11/12/2023 at 8:24 AM, Enchantica said:

After leaving Snorecraft  and returning home to the greatest game ever made. I noticed my general happiness and wellbeing increased. I joined a great super group. I like the people in it they seem nice. I also noticed my general outlook seemed to get better. Snorecraft like a psychic vampire drained my soul, not because of the game itself but because of the people who play it.  I was just wondering if any of you feel ( even in a small way) that City of Hero's theme in general affects your outlook in life in a positive way.

I can't tell if this poll is to mean for me personally or for a player in general that plays Homecoming/CoH.

I think that for myself, it does benefit me in a positive way.

From my interactions with other players in Homecoming, I can't say that is always the case.

The percentage of people that seemed to have the potential for becoming a "better person" though playing CoH before the Sunset was declining rapidly after it became fully F2P.

From my experience in other games, it can come down to finding the correct group of people to game with. That's hit or miss. 

I've only managed to find one game where there was "generally" not so much drama going on within a group. That only went for a good while until the group was really dissolving and the remaining people couldn't come to grips with it and the in-fighting began.

There are some game that just breed negativity in certain zones where people are able to blast out whatever they want over text channels that go out to everyone or those channels are filled with gold-farmer spam.

I think that it benefits me as much through interacts in the Homecoming forums as it does in-game on some levels.

The ingame benefit for me always comes through interactions with other players - as you have expressed in your own experience.

I character jump a lot so I not only get the interaction with other players playing characters with different power sets and playstyles, but my characters power sets and conceived character-motivations are also changing. I think this helps keeping my mind active trying to figure out how I can help a group succeed and/or keep my character from "tasting floor". 

• Thumbs Down 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 11/13/2023 at 3:00 PM, Enchantica said:

image.png.b4f4e8dccbf16eb7193ff3387f39cc9a.png When using Jackie Chan to express your frustration at my post,  remember that just "HALF A LOAF OF KUNG FU"  caused  Faultline

Er, what?

• Thumbs Down 1

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 11/12/2023 at 5:34 PM, Shenanigunner said:

I know that I carried a bitter little pill around with me during the dark years... "They took my world away from me." Not something I wore on a t-shirt or thought about a lot

913331486_CoHDogPound.jpg.797d54e597320039487867a6de14759e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Well, I haven't picked up any field mice and bopped them on the head... yet, sooo... the game therapy must be working.  Win!

Kind of an unorthodox answer, but CoH brought out aggressive game fighting in me.  I previously tended to be overly cautious and slowed by planning, functioning better, perhaps as a game sniper, rather than an in-your-face tank, so that improved.  Likewise improvements to my teaming with strangers and split-second decision making in game combat.  So yes, I guess it's made me a better person.

20 hours ago, Seed22 said:

in CoH i'm meaner (i.e. I will never as long as I live offer another farm to this community, especially since the fire farm nerfs and seeing how farmers were viewed. Nor will I donate, outside of Dacy's base stuff, to any CC's or individual events.)

Do you offer farms in real life?

6 hours ago, Lines said:

Do you offer farms in real life?

As soon as I get one, maybe I will 😛

• Thanks 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

A buddy of mine recently asked if video games in general make you smarter.  I said "Nope" and left it at that.

To be a little more on point, though, my first CoH character to survive past Outbreak became a weird sort of role model for me.  Even after all these years, I occasionally find myself asking, "What would Dash Marlowe do?"  Decent step up from Hank Kimball.

Edited by TheOtherTed
...don't wanna talk about it.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think that, at least partially, it's the other way around.  I think that this is a game that focuses on cooperation and teamwork and, therefore, it attracts a different type of player.  So I don't think the game makes people better/nicer/whatever; I think it ATTRACTS people who already have more 'positive' qualities.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

8 minutes ago, Ironblade said:

I think that, at least partially, it's the other way around.  I think that this is a game that focuses on cooperation and teamwork and, therefore, it attracts a different type of player.  So I don't think the game makes people better/nicer/whatever; I think it ATTRACTS people who already have more 'positive' qualities.

You said it all.

• Like 1

I know it makes other people's lives better because I'm playing CoX instead of interacting with them. 😄

I haven't played Warcraft for a long long time, but I think this game is more chill because of the reward system. Too many guilds and their members have what I called Purple Fever where they only ever do a small selection of dungeons to get bleeding edge gear and people wanting to do other things are "unproductive" like it's a job rather than a game. There's a much wider variety of things to do that give good rewards, so we can all be more chill about what's going on. 

• Like 1