Best Brute Combo 2023?

Tux

Returning after a few years. 

What's the FOTM then? I play mainly end-game content / speed runs. 

Primaries:

• I've seen good things about Savage, Battle Axe seems cool too with the new Whirling Axe mechanic. 
  • Energy still up there for ST? I always liked War Mace too
  • Rad/Elec/SS for AoE I assume

Secondaries:

• Rad seems to be the consensus generally? Strong in end-game, can slot a -Res etc etc. 
  • Bio strong as ever?
  • Shield/Elec/Dark/Ice have always seemed fairly strong (sure you can throw out a few more here)
  • Fire for Burn.. because Burn - they nerfed the procs a bit though right?

So what should I roll 😄 (Currently building a DM/SR and Psi/Ice because... reasons) 

Honestly you should start with a concept you really like and not base it off the FoTM.  Just because something has fantastic min/max numbers it may not gell with what is fun for you.

That said you really cannot go wrong with just about anything available to brutes.  Personally the only real duds, for me, are ice armor and kinetic melee.  I have brutes of ever other combination and they're all fun and effective.

For harder stuff I like stuff with layered protections like invulnerability or radiation armor.  Defense in depth, for me, let's me not worry too much with running into various annoying baddies.

• Like 1

I had lots of fun on my BA/stone. Once you toss in Incarnates, it will be one of best overall builds. 

• Like 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

14 hours ago, Thrax said:

ma/stone best tanker.

And has absolutely hilarious animations, while in granite form...

• Thumbs Up 1

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

Honestly, with Incarnates there isn't a single build that will be head and shoulders above the rest. There may be a few here and there that won't be "top tier," but with IOs and the godlike powers you acquire after 50 anything can be amazing. 

It may sound cliche, but it's true. Your best bet would be to find a set you like and think will be fun and just jump in.

On 11/28/2023 at 8:45 PM, PLVRIZR said:

And has absolutely hilarious animations, while in granite form...

Ok now my interest is peaked 😆

I know a lot of it is preference I just like hearing what people think is the "best".

Best survivability, best AoE, best ST DPS etc etc. - thanks for all the replies so far 🙂

So far I've rolled:

DM/SR - although it seems DM isn't the powerhouse it used to be as other sets have caught up

Psi/Ice - because Mass Levitate looks cool

MA/Bio - though I might switch to Stone now.. lol

And I want a Battle Axe.. / maybe Dark

Depending on the secondary, smooth attack chains and end management are two things BA won't get figured out until in the 40s. 

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

On 12/2/2023 at 2:16 PM, Greyhame said:

If you're really looking for a challenge, try SS/DA with SOs only 😛

Much as I love Dark…. Well this is a challenge…. You will be pretty screwed on End nearly all the time.  SS crashes slamming a Dark built with SOs?  This is not so much a challenge as an exercise in masochism. Unless you do not build your Dark with its auras, which if you follow my thinking is the height of stupidity 

On 12/1/2023 at 12:54 PM, Tux said:

Psi/Ice - because Mass Levitate looks cool

And I want a Battle Axe.. / maybe Dark

I have a 50 Ice/Psi Tank that I love. I won't win any DPS battles, but it's super survivable and Mass Lev is one of the most fun powers in the game. 

If you want Battle Axe, go with something with some built in +Recharge and +End. BA is a heavy and slow set. I run a Elec/BA Tank that packs a wallop and never stops chopping. I also have a BA/Energy Aura Brute that is very similar if albeit a little less survivable. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/1/2023 at 9:54 AM, Tux said:

So far I've rolled:

DM/SR - although it seems DM isn't the powerhouse it used to be as other sets have caught up

I'd think DM would be better on a scrapper or tank.  Soul drain's +damage buff just seems more impactful on either of those and is a big part of the set.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Riverdusk said:

I'd think DM would be better on a scrapper or tank.  Soul drain's +damage buff just seems more impactful on either of those and is a big part of the set.

Possibly, but i pair DM with DA.  Now, Dark is great on a Tank…. But so good it is near wasteful.  Whereas on a Brute it just squeaks into top notch.  No waste.  Then the fact that it has non suppressed stealth.  Not the best option for a Tank.  Perfect for Brutes

• 2 weeks later
On 12/4/2023 at 10:53 AM, Snarky said:

Much as I love Dark…. Well this is a challenge…. You will be pretty screwed on End nearly all the time.  SS crashes slamming a Dark built with SOs?  This is not so much a challenge as an exercise in masochism. Unless you do not build your Dark with its auras, which if you follow my thinking is the height of stupidity 

🤣  You're not wrong, but this was my first villain when CoV came out.  The main challenge was balancing damage output, survivability and endurance burn, especially with the fast decay of Fury.  I had to make several copies to Test to experiment with slotting strategies.  Eventually, all of my attacks had 2 endred and I would start a fight spamming tier1/2 attacks (boxing and brawl included) to build up Fury before laying into the spawn with bigger hits.  It worked, but every fight was a balancing act on a tightrope.

When IOs came out, I realized that I could solve the endurance issues and more - this became one of my all time favorite characters.  It was the first on HC that I gave an absurdly purpled-out build.

• Like 1

• 1 month later

The absolute most fun and most devastating build I have made is a Dark Melee/Invulnerability Brute that is almost impervious to everything:

He's not the most expensive build I have (That would be my human form Warshade), but he's not cheap. I love playing him when I want to solo TFs.

Others for fun are Super Strength/Radiation Armor, and for giggles (and 2 teleport-like powers) Electrical Melee/Shield Defense.

image.png

Nihil Sets.png

I love ALL Archetypes, but prefer to play them Blue-Side.