Welcome, Cthulhu, Tigger, and Steamboat WIllie! (Public Domain Day 2024)

On 1/2/2024 at 11:45 AM, Tiger Inferno said:

I just wish we had tentacle face options in the game...
Of course, doing that runs the risk of Hasbro coming after you for Illithid copyrights, sigh...

Marvel's got Hive, Disney's got Davy Jones. Even WoW has the Draenei.  I think there's enough variety of characters sporting tentacles/tendrils out there that it wouldn't be perceived as infringement unless someone tried to get as close to a character as possible.

On 1/2/2024 at 11:45 AM, Tiger Inferno said:

I just wish we had tentacle face options in the game...
Of course, doing that runs the risk of Hasbro coming after you for Illithid copyrights, sigh...

Champions Online has had tentacle options since, IIRC, 2009, so I don't think that's the reason we don't have them here.

On 1/1/2024 at 8:14 PM, Clave Dark 5 said:

Name something like say Popeye, and someone somewhere owns rights to the character and is currently trying to squeeze some more pennies out of them.

Possibly a bad example, because Popeye's been definitely out of copyright for a while in most places, just got out in the US... There was also a Japanese case in 1997 or so where a court concluded that Popeye was not under copyright protection, but, still under trademark protection.

On 1/4/2024 at 12:56 AM, seebs said:

Possibly a bad example, because Popeye's been definitely out of copyright for a while in most places, just got out in the US... There was also a Japanese case in 1997 or so where a court concluded that Popeye was not under copyright protection, but, still under trademark protection.

Huh, neat!  I went looking about and apparently he sort of is and sort of isn't, it depends on where in the world you are and what you intend to do with him.  But yeah still - he premiered in the 1920s, he should be fully public domain by now.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Puerile dislike of intellectual property laws demonstrates nothing but a lack of understanding. What some of you dislike isn't copyright itself, but mega-corporate stagnation, i.e., the misuse of intellectual property.

In short, Disney has become evil, but that doesn't mean all intellectual property laws are.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Microphone 1

4 hours ago, pawstruck said:

Puerile dislike of intellectual property laws demonstrates nothing but a lack of understanding. What some of you dislike isn't copyright itself, but mega-corporate stagnation, i.e., the misuse of intellectual property.

In short, Disney has become evil, but that doesn't mean all intellectual property laws are.

This!

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

It was an unforgivable mistake to grant Corporations quasi-human status!

Q: What do you call an immortal entity, with powers no human can match, and who can be in many places at once?

A: A god corporation!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

4 hours ago, pawstruck said:

What some of you dislike isn't copyright itself, but mega-corporate stagnation, i.e., the misuse of intellectual property.

And the exercise of vast corporate power and resources to extend copyright far beyond its original purpose: to motivate creators to create, by letting them profit from their creations before they go into the public domain!

• Thumbs Up 1

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

19 minutes ago, DoctorDitko said:

It was an unforgivable mistake to grant Corporations quasi-human status!

Oh?

When and where did this happen?

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

Posted (edited)

Several places, and different times. NPR has a quick summary:

https://www.npr.org/2014/07/28/335288388/when-did-companies-become-people-excavating-the-legal-evolution

It was a slow erosion of personhood, and slow growth of corporate power.

Edited by DoctorDitko
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, DoctorDitko said:

Several places, and different times. NPR has a quick summary:

https://www.npr.org/2014/07/28/335288388/when-did-companies-become-people-excavating-the-legal-evolution

It was a slow erosion of personhood, and slow growth of corporate power.

Yes, well that's certainly one interpretation of it.

What the Supreme Court actually ruled is that "people do not lose their rights simply because they have formed, or are part of, a group, organization, or incorporation."

If you want to interpret that as "corporations are people" then you can, I suppose. Personally I reject comedian Stephen Colbert's interpretation of the Supreme Court's ruling. I think it's an oversimplification of the situation that's meant to either be comedic or insulting to people who disagree with his point of view.

• Thumbs Up 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

15 hours ago, pawstruck said:

What tools did the companies lobby to have these laws written, where did you think these laws came from?  And lookit you throwing around friendly terms like "puerile," ha ha

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

11 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

What tools did the companies lobby to have these laws written, where did you think these laws came from?  And lookit you throwing around friendly terms like "puerile," ha ha

1) US Congressmen

2) The US Congress

3) Puerile basically means silly and childish, and he's not wrong. Imagine that you create a cartoon and then watch helplessly as Disney steals it from you, because they have 1 million times your marketing budget, and there are no copyright and trademark laws to stop them. Copyright and trademark laws stop this from happening. Sure they've gone too far, no one disagrees with that, except for Disney's lawyers, but they are a necessary part of an advanced civilization.

• Like 2

You misunderstand me then, let me try again: copyright law should last for 20 years then end, as was basically originally written.  I never said all copyright law is bad, unless I typoed or left out a word?  Where'd I say that?  And please?  "Puerile" here is still name-calling, it doesn't help your argument.

Go have fun!