Is /Ninja Training Absolute Trash?

Herotu

... or... just MOSTLY trash?

I took it for thematic reasons and although it seems to be utter crap, I do enjoy sneaking around with my blaster. I can't help but think that I would have been better off with another secondary and stealth pool powers instead, however.

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

Yes. If you like katana or just want thematic synergy, you can get away with it - but if you're looking for a "good" build it's pretty terrible. Golden dragonfly tickles, Shinobi is basically useless except for saving slots to get instant snipe, the placate doesn't reset the hide mechanic, and the minus res on it is too small to make it worth the cast time.

I played a /Ninja to 48 and took every power from the secondary as I wanted to try everything out.  Played a mix of solo and teams (got task force commander) but no farms, so I got a lot of use with the powers.  And yes, it's trash.  I definitely will not bother taking it to the incarnate level until it sees significant buffs.

Shinobi is the main problem here, as it fails to compensate for the loss of a real Build Up power.

1) The stealth is incomplete and requires stacking with another stealth power to walk up to enemies undetected.  Also having a stealth power is nothing special, as any character can take stealth and super speed, or a similar combo, and be just as sneaky (in fact around 80% of my characters do this).

2) The damage boost from hide is too small.  From my testing it seems to be about 50% buff for one attack.  Whereas Build Up is 100% buff for all attacks over a 10 second time frame.  Also I generally slot blasters for recharge bonuses, giving Build Up a good amount of uptime, so the minor always-on damage portion of Shinobi is not a selling point.

3) The other buffs (movement and the standard stealth defense) are minor and forgettable.

Next we have the blaps.  The biggest problem here is they seem to trade damage for faster recharge.  This is fine on a melee archetype.  The problem here is I'm a blaster in melee range taking risks, and other blap sets give you a big reward for taking that risk.  If I'm not wrecking stuff and doing more damage than I could do at range, than why am I in melee?  Combined with the lack of damage boost from Shinobi this becomes a real problem.

1) Sting of the Wasp is the epitome of the above paragraph.  It's more "annoyance of the mosquito" than a wasp.  Far too weak for a blaster in melee.

2) The Lotus Drops is just okay as a PBAoE.  If I could combine this with a real build up it might be nice.

3) Golden Dragonfly's main strength is the little cone.  I have some nice strategies for lining these up so getting multiple targets is not a problem.  Depending on how well targets line up, this will range from being be barely good enough for a Tier9, to not so good if I'm trying to concentrate down a single target.  It's worth mentioning that "very small cone" T9 melee attacks (katana, broadsword, axe) don't seem to be balanced around hitting multiple targets so I should probably be judging this based on single-target only, in which case it is lacking.

The other powers:

1) Immobilizing Dart is a standard immobilize.  And yes it does toxic damage, but even so the damage is so much lower than standard blaster immobilizes that I have no idea what kind of situation would actually make the toxic damage an advantage.  Still it's the standard immobilize power, so I'll keep my expectations in check.

2) Choking Powder is a good hold.  No complaints.

3) Kuji-In Toh has the standard blaster set of buffs, with a few very minor perks.  No complaints.

4) Smoke Flash is a bit flaky.  It requires a hit check, and even if it does hit it often fails to keep them placated.  I've had the most success placating by using a jump-activation out of combat, so that when the power goes off I'm quite a ways away (this is a technical maneuver, so I don't think a power's viability should hinge around it).  The resistance debuff is a nice perk though and I still use it on teams for this reason.

5) Blinding Powder's range is short enough that you have to get right up to the enemy group to catch them all, which brings us back to the point that Shinobi's stealth won't let you get that close without triggering aggro.  But as long as you stack Shinobi with another stealth power, then Blinding Powder works as advertised.  The tohit debuff is good enough by blaster-standards.

As I mentioned in a different topic, I get the idea that this set was intentionally designed a bit lower to "test the waters", as it's more socially acceptable to buff than to nerf.  Hopefully those buffs come sooner than later.

*continues fire farming at 4x8 with arch/ninja blaster*

Yup, total trash.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Yup, total trash.

If you have found it to be successful and not total trash, how about sharing how you did that?  You know, instead of just sarcastically mocking the OP.

• Like 3

Yup, total trash.

If you have found it to be successful and not total trash, how about sharing how you did that?  You know, instead of just sarcastically mocking the OP.

Wow, I'm honored to have moved you so much that I was your first post.

First, if I tell you guys how I'm achieving my success I'll inevitably be hit with posts about 'don't tell us how to play we will do it our way'.

Second, if I don't tell you how I play, but comment on how good it is I receive posts like yours or posts that say it isn't possible. It's a can't win situation truthfully.

However, I can tell you that I do actively farm the asteroid/atta cave/battle maiden at 4x8. I do clear the map. I've made over a billion inf with my arch/ninja blaster on these maps, enough that except for a handful of catas I've completely slotted out the blaster and my tank and have moved on to slotting my controller.

The set is not underpowered, it's not trash, the best way to describe it might be subtle, or misunderstood. But now I've opened myself up to the, 'don't tell people to lrn2ply' posts.

Sometimes you just can't win and the sarcasm is the best option.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Yup, total trash.

If it helps, I've been in those farms with him and can vouch that he can do what he says.  In the Atta Map fire farm, usually he goes one way and I go the other to get through it faster.  (It's a fairly huge map.)

Sarcasm is rarely the best option given that silence is usually also available as an option.

In person, you can get away with sarcasm since the humor is usually easier to notice. But on a forum, you're better off not posting than posting only to be sarcastic.

• Like 4

Sarcasm is rarely the best option given that silence is usually also available as an option.

In person, you can get away with sarcasm since the humor is usually easier to notice. But on a forum, you're better off not posting than posting only to be sarcastic.

I would disagree, look at what the sarcasm has accomplished, it's bringing people out of the woodwork to get eyes on the subject to have a hopefully helpful discourse.

And there it is....after you cut off all other avenues of complaining/whining.....you get the "Why don't you just shut up if you're not going to help and/or entertain me?" complaint.  Silence is only a desirable option for the person requesting someone be silent.

Yup, total trash.

If it helps, I've been in those farms with him and can vouch that he can do what he says.  In the Atta Map fire farm, usually he goes one way and I go the other to get through it faster.  (It's a fairly huge map.)

And usually Foxy is on a fire/fire brute.

Playable and good are not the same thing. This game isn't hard. Just about any build spec'd right can clear a fire farm at +4x8... and just about any blaster secondary will do it more efficiently than /nin.

You've never seen me do it doc. It's very efficient, otherwise why would I bother? It's not like taking my inv/ss tank into PVP for giggles.

...so is someone going to tell me how to use the spec?  Let me guess, it has something to do with the confuse contagion proc?

Well gunner, again that puts me in a very hard position. Here's what I'll say, play it like an 80s movie ninja, strike some from the shadows, pick your targets carefully, and then when they least expect it, unload on the entire mob. And always make sure you're the only ninja on the team.

...so is someone going to tell me how to use the spec?  Let me guess, it has something to do with the confuse contagion proc?

Well gunner, again that puts me in a very hard position. Here's what I'll say, play it like an 80s movie ninja, strike some from the shadows, pick your targets carefully, and then when they least expect it, unload on the entire mob. And always make sure you're the only ninja on the team.

How about posting a build?  so many builds get posted at varying levels of min/max a posted build cannot possibly be interpreted as "telling other people how to play" , it can only be seen as "This is how I play"  any arguments otherwise on their part would just make themselves look silly.

people can critique or ask for explanations but people do that even with the legendary build crafters.

if you don't want to share your tactics, that's fine, some of them can probably be inferred from the build.

• Like 1

How about posting a build?  so many builds get posted at varying levels of min/max a posted build cannot possibly be interpreted as "telling other people how to play" , it can only be seen as "This is how I play"  any arguments otherwise on their part would just make themselves look silly.

people can critique or ask for explanations but people do that even with the legendary build crafters.

if you don't want to share your tactics, that's fine, some of them can probably be inferred from the build.

Well I don't mind to share, was really wanting to avoid the whole points mentioned earlier. But I think I'll keep my arch/nin to myself. I will however share a build in progress I'm working on. My arch/nin is more of a classical ninja, this is an 80s movie ninja.

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.962

http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

80s Movie Ninja: Level 50 Magic Blaster

Primary Power Set: Dual Pistols

Secondary Power Set: Ninja Training

Power Pool: Leaping

Power Pool: Leadership

Power Pool: Speed

Power Pool: Fighting

Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Hero Profile:

Level 1: Pistols

• (A) Superior Defiant Barrage - Accuracy/Damage
  • (40) Superior Defiant Barrage - Damage/RechargeTime
  • (40) Superior Defiant Barrage - Accuracy/Damage/RechargeTime
  • (43) Superior Defiant Barrage - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (43) Superior Defiant Barrage - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (43) Superior Defiant Barrage - RechargeTime/+Status

Level 1: Immobilizing Dart

• (A) HamiO:Nucleolus Exposure

Level 2: Empty Clips

• (A) Superior Frozen Blast - Accuracy/Damage
  • (15) Superior Frozen Blast - Damage/Endurance
  • (29) Superior Frozen Blast - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (37) Superior Frozen Blast - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (37) Superior Frozen Blast - Damage/Endurance/Accuracy/RechargeTime
  • (40) Superior Frozen Blast - Recharge/Chance for Immobilize

Level 4: Sting of the Wasp

• (A) Superior Blistering Cold - Accuracy/Damage
  • (7) Superior Blistering Cold - Damage/Endurance
  • (7) Superior Blistering Cold - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (37) Superior Blistering Cold - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (46) Superior Blistering Cold - Damage/Endurance/Accuracy/RechargeTime
  • (48) Superior Blistering Cold - Recharge/Chance for Hold

Level 6: Swap Ammo

Level 8: Bullet Rain

• (A) Overwhelming Force - Accuracy/Damage
  • (9) Overwhelming Force - Endurance/Recharge
  • (9) Overwhelming Force - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (34) Overwhelming Force - Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (42) Overwhelming Force - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (42) Overwhelming Force - Damage/Chance for Knockdown/Knockback to Knockdown

Level 10: Shinobi

• (A) Kismet - Defense/Endurance
  • (11) Kismet - Defense/Recharge
  • (11) Kismet - Defense/Endurance/Recharge
  • (15) Kismet - Accuracy +6%
  • (34) Luck of the Gambler - Recharge Speed

Level 12: Combat Jumping

• (A) Luck of the Gambler - Recharge Speed
  • (13) HamiO:Cytoskeleton Exposure
  • (13) Shield Wall - +Res (Teleportation), +5% Res (All)

Level 14: Super Jump

• (A) Blessing of the Zephyr - Knockback Reduction (4 points)

Level 16: The Lotus Drops

• (A) Superior Avalanche - Accuracy/Damage
  • (17) Superior Avalanche - Damage/Endurance
  • (17) Superior Avalanche - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (29) Superior Avalanche - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (31) Superior Avalanche - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (34) Superior Avalanche - Recharge/Chance for Knockdown

Level 18: Maneuvers

• (A) HamiO:Cytoskeleton Exposure
  • (19) Reactive Defenses - Scaling Resist Damage
  • (19) Reactive Defenses - Defense/Endurance
  • (31) Luck of the Gambler - Recharge Speed

Level 20: Kuji-In Toh

• (A) Aegis - Resistance/Recharge
  • (21) Aegis - Resistance/Endurance/Recharge
  • (21) Aegis - Resistance
  • (45) Gladiator's Armor - TP Protection +3% Def (All)
  • (45) Steadfast Protection - Resistance/+Def 3%

Level 22: Executioner's Shot

• (A) Thunderstrike - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (23) Thunderstrike - Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (23) Thunderstrike - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (25) Maelstrom's Fury - Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (50) Maelstrom's Fury - Accuracy/Damage
  • (50) Maelstrom's Fury - Damage/Recharge

Level 24: Hasten

• (A) Recharge Reduction IO
  • (25) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 26: Dual Wield

• (A) Maelstrom's Fury - Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (27) Maelstrom's Fury - Accuracy/Damage
  • (27) Maelstrom's Fury - Damage/Recharge
  • (31) Decimation - Chance of Build Up

Level 28: Smoke Flash

• (A) HamiO:Lysosome Exposure

Level 30: Boxing

• (A) Touch of Death - Chance of Damage(Negative)

Level 32: Tough

• (A) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance
  • (33) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance
  • (33) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (33) Unbreakable Guard - +Max HP

Level 35: Hail of Bullets

• (A) Superior Blaster's Wrath - Accuracy/Damage
  • (36) Superior Blaster's Wrath - Damage/Recharge
  • (36) Superior Blaster's Wrath - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (36) Superior Blaster's Wrath - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (46) Superior Blaster's Wrath - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (48) Superior Blaster's Wrath - Recharge/Chance for Fire Damage

Level 38: Golden Dragonfly

• (A) Eradication - Damage
  • (39) Eradication - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (39) Eradication - Damage/Recharge
  • (39) Eradication - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (46) Eradication - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (50) Eradication - Chance for Energy Damage

Level 41: Tactics

• (A) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - Chance for Build Up
  • (42) HamiO:Cytoskeleton Exposure

Level 44: Weave

• (45) Luck of the Gambler - Recharge Speed

Level 47: Scorpion Shield

• (48) Luck of the Gambler - Recharge Speed

Level 49: Blinding Powder

• (A) HamiO:Endoplasm Exposure

Level 1: Brawl

• (A) HamiO:Nucleolus Exposure

Level 1: Defiance

Level 1: Prestige Power Dash

• (A) Celerity - +Stealth

Level 1: Prestige Power Slide

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Prestige Power Quick

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Prestige Power Rush

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Prestige Power Surge

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Sprint

• (A) HamiO:Microfilament Exposure

Level 2: Rest

• (A) Empty

Level 4: Ninja Run

Level 2: Swift

• (A) HamiO:Microfilament Exposure

Level 2: Health

• (A) Preventive Medicine - Chance for +Absorb
  • (5) Numina's Convalesence - +Regeneration/+Recovery
  • (5) Miracle - +Recovery

Level 2: Hurdle

• (A) Jumping IO

Level 2: Stamina

• (A) Performance Shifter - Chance for +End
  • (3) Performance Shifter - EndMod
  • (3) Performance Shifter - EndMod/Recharge

Level 6: Chemical Ammunition

Level 6: Cryo Ammunition

Level 6: Incendiary Ammunition

Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve

Level 0: Portal Jockey

Level 0: Task Force Commander

Level 0: The Atlas Medallion

Level 50: Agility Core Paragon

Level 50: Barrier Core Epiphany

Level 50: Melee Radial Embodiment

------------

If it plays anything like the archery/ninja then yes, it would be a blapper.

My 2 cents.

You have a pile of farm builds that can clear the meteor map in less than 5 minutes.  First start there, are you hitting that threshold? If yes? Proceed, if no... then just admit you enjoy the build but it isn't this amazing thing that people are just "Too dumb to understand"

Clearing the troll caves isn't an example of a "good build that clears fast" as if I remember the last time you put up was well over an hour solo, when an Ice/Fire was doing it sub 30 minutes.  Again, its fine to enjoy a build but if others are doubling the performance then just maybe the set isn't top tier.

It is pretty easy to break down. What does nin offer?

Sting of the wasp is an objectively terrible ST filler. It does 48 DPA/S when other power sets have powers (elec and em) that are 132 DPA/S.

Choking powder - nothing special.  Plenty of sets get a mag 3 ST hold. Doesn't do amazing damage or have any crazy utility.

The Lotus Drops - Slightly above average damage for a melee PBAoE (65 vs 75) but still not as strong as the ones in Fire, Rad, Time, etc.  The big downside is it has that massive 28 second recharge when others are recharging in 18-22 seconds.

Kuji-In Toh - Toggle sustain power that offers nothing special. Rad offers +recharge, fire offers + damage aura, mental has insane values.  Again, average at best nothing special.

Smoke Flash - -10% res for 8 seconds with a 2 second cast (depends on when it applies, may only last for ~6 seconds if it is at the start.  This is probably the the most unique power in the set but melt armor in epics is just straight better for actually increasing DPS.

Blinding power - Mitigation in a word where you can just soft cap all defenses with IO's.  Pretty worthless.  If these last two powers had any interaction with Shinobi then you might have a case.  But they don't so again, medicore at best, sub par as a reality.

Golden Dragonfly - Mediocre Burst Damage,  Mediocre sustained damage.  126 damage is less than a tier 3 ranged attack at 132.6.  69.5 DPA/S is about the same as the most medicore attack out there from the most middle of the road set - Energy Blast / Power Burst.  Sets with better high tier melee attacks - Martial / Elec / Rad / Dark / Energy / Plant (Ripper is 75 with dots, wider cone and has the same benefit of GD in that it can slot both -res procs).  The only thing Golden Dragonfly is good for is applying both -res procs to a single hard target.

And finally Shin obi - The thinking man's much worse version of build up.

Once every 30 seconds out of combat you get a 43% damage boost to one of your attacks.  It isn't on demand damage, it isn't for a window of attacks. It is one attack.  After that you get a passive 6.25 damage bonus at all times or about the defiance buff from your tier 1 attack (tier 2's are usually 11%).  You can't on demand burst, you don't get a 10 second window to attack, and you have to literally wait to get out of combat to get the bonus.  Where as recharge IO builds with build up can get it down to 23-27 second recharge with 10 seconds of 100% damage, this set gets 50% for one attack, then acts like you always have your tier 1 attack firing for defiance. 

TL:DR - Nin is a below average blaster secondary.  Its only "useful" thing for high end gameplay (read IO'ed builds) is slotting the double -res proc in GD.  If the placate -res duration was boosted up to 10-12 seconds, that'd be another thing it'd have going for it, but as it is now not really worth much.  If you enjoy it, that is fine but trying to sell people on something that is both inferior numerically and in practical application as "Really strong, you just aren't smart enough to play it as well as I do" is just plain  not nice. 

Also hiding the Arch/Nin but then putting up a DP/Nin lol.  Yikes.

*edit* and just to stress this here 100%  play what you want.  I and anyone else I'd hope are fine with that.

If you enjoy at set and it looks cool, great!  If you enjoy a set, it looks cool but happens to be average to below average when it comes to just about everything, don't try to sell others on the idea that it is the strongest set there is when we have metrics like meteor clear times, pylon times, etc etc that suggest it is nowhere near the top.  Not for your personal benefit, but for people asking for genuine advice on builds.   

• Like 2

First, if I tell you guys how I'm achieving my success I'll inevitably be hit with posts about 'don't tell us how to play we will do it our way'.

Second, if I don't tell you how I play, but comment on how good it is I receive posts like yours or posts that say it isn't possible. It's a can't win situation truthfully.

However, I can tell you that I do actively farm the asteroid/atta cave/battle maiden at 4x8. I do clear the map. I've made over a billion inf with my arch/ninja blaster on these maps, enough that except for a handful of catas I've completely slotted out the blaster and my tank and have moved on to slotting my controller.

The set is not underpowered, it's not trash, the best way to describe it might be subtle, or misunderstood. But now I've opened myself up to the, 'don't tell people to lrn2ply' posts.

Just because you pre-emptively accuse others doesn't mean you aren't lying.

And you, are lying, just like the "it's fine, lrn2ply" scrappers used to do on the Blaster forums whenever they were arguing against any sort of fixes to the latter AT no matter how bad it got.

• Haha 1

You've never seen me do it doc. It's very efficient, otherwise why would I bother? It's not like taking my inv/ss tank into PVP for giggles.

When we last spoke about this, you suggested that you were clearing cave style fire farm maps at +4x8 in a little over an hour on what I'm assuming was your arch/nin. An ice/fire blaster was clearing the same map in around 28 minutes.

Cave style fire farms emphasize group-to-group killing ability.

Archery is very likely the best (and if not, one of the best) sets for this, due to the insanely fast cool-down on its nuke, and having other fast animating aoe in it's pbaoe and cone attacks.

Ice blast, on the other hand, is one of the worst primaries for group-to-group farming. Blizzard and Ice Storm only shine when far over the agro cap, and blizzard has a longer than average cool-down, even for a nuke.

A /fire blaster (using possibly the worst primary for job) was between two and three times more efficient than a /nin blaster (possibly using the best primary for the job).

/nin is not an efficient set for farming when compared to other blaster secondaries, mostly due to its low AoE potential.

/nin has worse than average AoE damage, and worse than average single target damage when compared to other primaries.

Also, side note: The way you have your decimation proc slotted, it only has an 8.5% chance to activate. Here's a cool resource that really has helped me when build making:

PPM list

PPM calculator

To the OP: As you suspect, the set is not optimal, or anywhere near it. Luckily, CoH is a game where having sub-optimal builds seldom matters, so unless you're really looking to min-max, don't let that stop you from playing a set you like. I have fun on a /martial blaster, and it's not a min/maxy set either. One thing you can do for the lack of damage in the set is slot Golden Dragonfly with very little recharge, and then slot both chance for -res procs in it, giving you a potential 40% -res debuff... which is pretty crazy on a blaster with the right primary.

• Like 1

And you, are lying, just like the "it's fine, lrn2ply" scrappers used to do on the Blaster forums whenever they were arguing against any sort of fixes to the latter AT no matter how bad it got.

Happy to farm anything you want.

When we last spoke about this, you suggested that you were clearing cave style fire farm maps at +4x8 in a little over an hour on what I'm assuming was your arch/nin. An ice/fire blaster was clearing the same map in around 28 minutes.

Cave style fire farms emphasize group-to-group killing ability.

Archery is very likely the best (and if not, one of the best) sets for this, due to the insanely fast cool-down on its nuke, and having other fast animating aoe in it's pbaoe and cone attacks.

Ice blast, on the other hand, is one of the worst primaries for group-to-group farming. Blizzard and Ice Storm only shine when far over the agro cap, and blizzard has a longer than average cool-down, even for a nuke.

A /fire blaster (using possibly the worst primary for job) was between two and three times more efficient than a /nin blaster (possibly using the best primary for the job).

/nin is not an efficient set for farming when compared to other blaster secondaries, mostly due to its low AoE potential.

/nin has worse than average AoE damage, and worse than average single target damage when compared to other primaries.

Also, side note: The way you have your decimation proc slotted, it only has an 8.5% chance to activate. Here's a cool resource that really has helped me when build making:

PPM list

PPM calculator

To the OP: As you suspect, the set is not optimal, or anywhere near it. Luckily, CoH is a game where having sub-optimal builds seldom matters, so unless you're really looking to min-max, don't let that stop you from playing a set you like. I have fun on a /martial blaster, and it's not a min/maxy set either. One thing you can do for the lack of damage in the set is slot Golden Dragonfly with very little recharge, and then slot both chance for -res procs in it, giving you a potential 40% -res debuff... which is pretty crazy on a blaster with the right primary.

Doc, I do the asteroid in about 6 and a half minutes. Just because it's not the 5 minute clear other sets get doesn't mean the set is bad.

Happy to farm anything you want.

Just do a quick record of a Meteor Farm run and a Pylon run, things will pretty much speak for themselves. :)  That way anyone can use it as a reference point in the future instead of just proving it to one person.  Or if you don't want to do that, I can hop in with you and record for you.