Splitting Sets

Slayde

I've seen some videos where people split a set across two skills... say 3 pieces in two skills for a total of 6 pieces.

When you do this, do you get two 3 piece bonuses, or the full 6 piece bonus?

Edited by Slayde

12 minutes ago, Slayde said:

I've seen some videos where people split a set across two skills... say 3 pieces in two sets for a total of 6 pieces.

Usually, this is done with the archetype-specific enhancements, as you can only slot 1 of each per build, and some players prefer getting 2 of the bonuses for slotting 3 of them instead of the ones for slotting all 6 in one power.

• Thumbs Up 1

Depends on what you want to do.  I have one toon I wanted to build for as much damage as I could so I ended up "frankenslotting" a number of sets just to reach the "+2% damage" or something, then slotting up the rest to make sure it still had accuracy or whatever.  Other than the ATOs though, as stated, it's not too common a practice as I understand it.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Yes, it's always a possibility. Might just as well be economical and get a full set of six but I've split sets years ago. I tend to not do these days but it is always an option at the sacrifice of 2 set bonuses which may not be so beneficial if slotted.

19 hours ago, Slayde said:

You get the two-piece bonus twice, and the three-piece bonus twice.  This is sometimes called frankenslotting and it can be very effective.  Back on live, I built an invuln tank with over 350% regeneration from set bonuses.  Since +regen is always the first bonus, and many of the sets are cheap, it was a very inexpensive build.  It cost me under 30 million influence BACK ON LIVE.

I had Brawl six-slotted with two pieces each from three different sets, as an example.  I had the 12% bonus five times, 10% bonus five times, 8% bonus five times.  I think you get the picture.  No recharge buff, no defense buff but as much regen as a /regen scrapper, but on a tanks hit points.  It was shockingly effective.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

On 2/8/2024 at 1:31 PM, Ironblade said:

I had the 12% bonus five times, 10% bonus five times, 8% bonus five times.  I think you get the picture.  No recharge buff, no defense buff but as much regen as a /regen scrapper, but on a tanks hit points.  It was shockingly effective.

Impressive idea.  Why not slot the 12% regen 15 times?

On 2/8/2024 at 6:31 PM, Ironblade said:

You get the two-piece bonus twice, and the three-piece bonus twice.  This is sometimes called frankenslotting and it can be very effective.  Back on live, I built an invuln tank with over 350% regeneration from set bonuses.  Since +regen is always the first bonus, and many of the sets are cheap, it was a very inexpensive build.  It cost me under 30 million influence BACK ON LIVE.

I had Brawl six-slotted with two pieces each from three different sets, as an example.  I had the 12% bonus five times, 10% bonus five times, 8% bonus five times.  I think you get the picture.  No recharge buff, no defense buff but as much regen as a /regen scrapper, but on a tanks hit points.  It was shockingly effective.

this has me intrigued - going to see what i can achieve on mids in the morning