Requested Patrol XP Poll

Requested Patrol XP Poll  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Are you against an option (and only an option) to be able to turn off patrol xp in City of Heroes?

• Yes. I am against an option to disable patrol xp in the game. Because not worth dev time, think it is wrong to implement, or other reason.
    • No. I would like the option to be able to disable patrol xp.
    • No. I may not use the option, but it doesn't bother me.
    • Does this have to be a yes or no question? I don't care either way, have no opinion, or other reason for neither yes or no.

3 minutes ago, Rudra said:

The explanation is in the threads. All of the threads I linked. I've given my reasons ad nauseam. Since you are unwilling to read said threads and insist I haven't given reasons though? I hate patrol xp. Always have. It is an unearned reward that accelerates your leveling. It is an incentive to not play the game. I understand why it exists, but that doesn't change the fact that I hate it beyond mere words' ability to convey. That it was added is fine. That players can't choose to not get it is not. And you can't get rid of it. All you can do is use it to level or pay off debt. And I personally am sick and tired of spending my game time committing suicide to get rid of it before I start playing. We can choose to not get badges. We can choose to not get powers. We can choose to not get xp. We can even choose to not get inf'. We can't choose to not get patrol xp though. No, patrol xp is shoved down our throats with a fucking fire hose with a 'you want this, no matter what you say, what you really mean is you want this' mentality.

Ah, well for starters I wasn't aware those were linked threads, it's been a long times since I've been a regular on forum software and I assumed they were simply screenshots.

Now onto the matter at hand, while you bring up a valid point, Patrol XP is a victimless is an entirely victimless feature, you can't directly level with it and every benefit it offers for other features like XP and Debt subtract from it. Furthermore, if the only reason that you dislike Patrol XP is that you believe it's unearned for being logged off then that has about as much weight as any other feature that runs while you're logged off of which there are many of them.

It frankly sounds like you've been yelling into the void for months hoping for an agreeable outcome but no one else seems to be reciprocating such a desire and anyone else who dislikes Patrol XP just does things like Turn off XP Gain so they can work through the game content at their own pace.

9 minutes ago, Mathew322 said:

Ah, well for starters I wasn't aware those were linked threads, it's been a long times since I've been a regular on forum software and I assumed they were simply screenshots.

Now onto the matter at hand, while you bring up a valid point, Patrol XP is a victimless is an entirely victimless feature, you can't directly level with it and every benefit it offers for other features like XP and Debt subtract from it. Furthermore, if the only reason that you dislike Patrol XP is that you believe it's unearned for being logged off then that has about as much weight as any other feature that runs while you're logged off of which there are many of them.

It frankly sounds like you've been yelling into the void for months hoping for an agreeable outcome but no one else seems to be reciprocating such a desire and anyone else who dislikes Patrol XP just does things like Turn off XP Gain so they can work through the game content at their own pace.

I'm not the only one that wants to be able to disable patrol xp. The threads I linked show that. This poll shows that. So your 3rd paragraph is proven wrong.

10 hours ago, Mathew322 said:

This poll question is fundamentally flawed because it presupposes the option to turn off Patrol XP is being added, has already been added, or is in talks of being added and that the majority opinion appears to be for it.

Instead of asking, "Are you against an option to turn off patrol xp in City of Heroes?" which has the issues mentioned above, it should be asking, "Are you for an option to turn off patrol xp in City of Heroes?" because it's an idea that is being suggested to gauge public opinion.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a dishonest question but it's not framed appropriately.

It absolutely is a flawed poll.

I work in academia... research and so forth.

We have to get approval of surveys used, etc, for them to have value.

The IRB number establishes authenticity as it has been reviewed and is deemed not to lead to biased results.

Again this poll does exactly that.

No, we are not doing academic research, but I can't help but to view it through the eyes of someone who has to give approval to things like this.

This poll leads the viewer towards a wanted answer. 

What is the question?

Would you support and option to turn off patrol xp?

• yes
  • no
  • don't care.

The only answer that would have value is yes.

Most people would say yes to give support seeing as how much it matters to Rudra.

I would say yes to get them to shut up or don't care because I generally ignore Patrol XP

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

/e poofgone

3 hours ago, Mathew322 said:

All this.

I have been in some of the previous threads and find Rudra's perspective disappointing and hypocritical.

It's disappointing because a number of ideas, perspectives, or simple wants come through the forums that Rudra will just .... squash simply because they see no value in it. That person gives up, and the idea is gone. Admittedly some are impractical or impossible( some of the suggestions for bases), but some have seemed interesting.

It is hypocritical because it is something he wants. He wants it. 

He dismisses ideas if he doesn't want them or sees no value in them. But patrol xp... hatred

You are right; patrol XP doesn't impact gameplay. It doesn't prevent you from doing anything in the game. I end up ignoring or not even noticing it on my characters. Rudra chooses to have it impact him. How? By making it a big thing he has to deal with. Some elements in the game bother me, but I find the means to ignore or solve them on my own.  This, despite how obsessive my personality is.

He is playing the noble victim; "this is being shoved down my throat", and "I feel like the devs are giving me the middle finger".

For the first part: At the worst and most health-threatening point of my eating disorder, they shoved feeding down my throat. That phrase does not apply here.

For the second part, it is doubtful.

Imagine hating something so much in the game that you would go to these lengths. Hatred. Hating. Hate.

In truth I hope the Devs give this a look and provide a definitive answer.

Yes, we can or No, we can't. don't have to even explain why.

So this can be put to bed.

Done. No more.

If he gets his way, applaud him. Well done. you whined, complained, raged, and got your way.

I hope it leads other people to do the same.

Express a hatred. Make it go away or make it happen.

Perhaps we should start a weekly thread?

However, I would prefer to write about what I truly love and value about the game.

We have /jranger

Now we have /turnoffpatrolxp

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

/e poofgone

5 hours ago, JasperStone said:

It absolutely is a flawed poll.

I work in academia... research and so forth.

We have to get approval of surveys used, etc, for them to have value.

The IRB number establishes authenticity as it has been reviewed and is deemed not to lead to biased results.

Again this poll does exactly that.

No, we are not doing academic research, but I can't help but to view it through the eyes of someone who has to give approval to things like this.

This poll leads the viewer towards a wanted answer. 

What is the question?

Would you support and option to turn off patrol xp?

• yes
  • no
  • don't care.

The only answer that would have value is yes.

Most people would say yes to give support seeing as how much it matters to Rudra.

I would say yes to get them to shut up or don't care because I generally ignore Patrol XP

How is it leading someone to a wanted answer? I even start with the option to oppose it. And I provide an out for those that neither support nor oppose it. And to break out those that may not support but aren't bothered should it be implemented, there is even a category response for them. So only answers 1 and 2 are opposed to each other. (So as far as the poll currently stands, there are 14 against and 8 in favor. Answer 3 isn't an in favor of the option answer, it is an "I don't oppose it" answer. And answer 4 is none of the above.)

4 hours ago, JasperStone said:

It is hypocritical because it is something he wants. He wants it. 

He dismisses ideas if he doesn't want them or sees no value in them.

Yes, there are things in the forums I oppose. Typically changes that would be forced on others to suit someone else's play style. There are things I dismiss. Because to the best of my knowledge, they can't be done. Anything else? If I don't like it, I say so, but I try to not step on it. And when I wind up arguing over it? It is because like right now, I am defending my point of view. As I have said on multiple threads, we can acknowledge a difference of opinion. When someone tells me I am wrong though? That isn't just a difference of opinion. That is something to be argued.

He is playing the noble victim; "this is being shoved down my throat", and "I feel like the devs are giving me the middle finger".

For the first part: At the worst and most health-threatening point of my eating disorder, they shoved feeding down my throat. That phrase does not apply here.

For the second part, it is doubtful.

While we can argue about whether or not a game element I don't want to experience is being forced down my throat or not, who the hell are you to say if something I feel is doubtful? Even that statement you are quoting is preceded by "While I know that it is not the devs' intent".

In truth I hope the Devs give this a look and provide a definitive answer.

Yes, we can or No, we can't. don't have to even explain why.

So this can be put to bed.

Done. No more.

After my, I think it was the Patrol Dump thread, I stated that I was not going to make any further requests to be able to disable patrol xp. And I have kept to my word. The thread that preceded this was a complaint about explore badges now awarding patrol xp instead of regular xp like they used to, which I could turn off to not get. I even specifically stated in the OP of that thread that I was not asking for anything. Not a reversion of the explore badge awards. Not a patrol xp turn off or dump option. Nothing at all. It was feedback on a change that even others have been arguing was a surprise change that wasn't given any feedback. And the discussion that arose from that led to this poll. A poll that I was against making because I knew it would go down this line and I didn't want to deal with it, but that I made anyway to prove a point. If the devs chime in and say "Patrol xp will not be given an option of being disabled.", it wouldn't change anything because I already know they aren't going to give us the option to disable it. That was not the purpose of the "Thanks for the gift, can I give it back thread". That is not the purpose of this poll. This poll isn't going to change anything, and I stated as much on the thread that led to this poll's creation.

Edited by Rudra
Edited to correct "question" to "answer" twice.

34 minutes ago, Rudra said:

How is it leading someone to a wanted answer? I even start with the option to oppose it. And I provide an out for those that neither support nor oppose it. And to break out those that may not support but aren't bothered should it be implemented, there is even a category response for them. So only answers 1 and 2 are opposed to each other. (So as far as the poll currently stands, there are 14 against and 8 in favor. Answer 3 isn't an in favor of the option answer, it is an "I don't oppose it" answer. And answer 4 is none of the above.)

Less options are better and so is less verbiage.

Your poll is manipulative.

who the hell are you to say if something I feel is doubtful?

The same as who the hell are you.

A poll that I was against making because I knew it would go down this line and I didn't want to deal with it

Yet.... here we are.

But you are not fooling anyone.

You did it hoping...praying you would get a ton of support.

Your poll is misleading and the results should be ignored

Edited by JasperStone
  • Thumbs Up 2

/e poofgone

9 minutes ago, JasperStone said:
37 minutes ago, Rudra said:

who the hell are you to say if something I feel is doubtful?

The same as who the hell are you.

You have absolutely no right, none whatsofucking ever, to tell anyone that what they feel is doubtful. You do not get to tell me how I feel or what I feel or what I should feel or absolutely anything at fucking all about my goddamned feelings. You want to disagree with something I request? By all means. Let's hear your take on my suggestion. You want to disagree with a comment I post? That's your right, go right ahead. But you absolutely don't get to fucking tell me how i feel about a gaddamned thing!

9 minutes ago, JasperStone said:
37 minutes ago, Rudra said:

A poll that I was against making because I knew it would go down this line and I didn't want to deal with it

Yet.... here we are.

Include the rest of the quote.

Edit: I'm taking a break from this thread for a while. Poll still up. Vote however you want on it.

Edited by Rudra

11 minutes ago, Rudra said:

You have absolutely no right, none whatsofucking ever, to tell anyone that what they feel is doubtful. You do not get to tell me how I feel or what I feel or what I should feel or absolutely anything at fucking all about my goddamned feelings. You want to disagree with something I request? By all means. Let's hear your take on my suggestion. You want to disagree with a comment I post? That's your right, go right ahead. But you absolutely don't get to fucking tell me how i feel about a gaddamned thing!

and neither do you.

I said doubtful regarding Devs plotting against you. 

Honestly... imagine them in a room ..."Ok...how can we screw with Rudra."

That was my point. Period.

Your response here tells us what we need to know.

I also shared my take.

Neither for or against. Let the Devs decide.

If you get what you want.

Good for you.

This also opens up the door for others to do the same.

12 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Edit: I'm taking a break from this thread for a while. Poll still up. Vote however you want on it.

Poll has no value.

Unless it is a simple Yes, No. or don't care,

• Thumbs Up 1

/e poofgone

3 hours ago, JasperStone said:
3 hours ago, Rudra said:

and neither do you.

I said doubtful regarding Devs plotting against you. 

Honestly... imagine them in a room ..."Ok...how can we screw with Rudra."

That was my point. Period.

You know that line you like to cite in this thread? The one you are misrepresenting? Well, here it is:

On 2/21/2024 at 2:27 AM, Rudra said:

While I know it isn't the devs intent? It feels like a massive middle finger to me (and anyone else that would like to play without patrol xp).

You see that first part? The part you like to not include in your citation? Here, I'll point it out to you. Again.

While I know it isn't the devs intent?

Does that say I think the devs are plotting against me? No. Does it say I think the devs added this change to upset me? No. Does it say anywhere that I think the devs made this change for me for absolutely any reason at all? No. So your point is to tell me what I already know and stated?

Edit: And the means of you doing so is by blatantly ignoring that I already acknowledged and stated it prior to stating how it feels to me? And then by focusing on how I feel and then telling me you doubt it, while simultaneously ignoring the part of my comment that already made your point for you because you think I am unaware and need to be instructed on such?

Edited by Rudra

42 minutes ago, Rudra said:

You know that line you like to cite in this thread? The one you are misrepresenting? Well, here it is:

You see that first part? The part you like to not include in your citation? Here, I'll point it out to you. Again.

Does that say I think the devs are plotting against me? No. Does it say I think the devs added this change to upset me? No. Does it say anywhere that I think the devs made this change for me for absolutely any reason at all? No. So your point is to tell me what I already know and stated?

Edit: And the means of you doing so is by blatantly ignoring that I already acknowledged and stated it prior to stating how it feels to me? And then by focusing on how I feel and then telling me you doubt it, while simultaneously ignoring the part of my comment that already made your point for you because you think I am unaware and need to be instructed on such?

You seem angry.

More angry than one should be.

You know you are in the wrong.

But I will applaud you if your whining and ranting gets you what you want.

That is all that matters. 

What you want.

/e poofgone

47 minutes ago, Rudra said:

What you are feeling is 

Accountability. 

Someone standing up to you and calmly saying no.

No.

You are in the wrong.

• Thumbs Up 2

/e poofgone

You seem angry.

More angry than one should be.

You know you are in the wrong.

I seem angry? I wonder why. Someone tells you that you aren't feeling the way you do and see how you react. I'm in the wrong? On what? For daring to make a poll? For trying to cleave out those that don't oppose but also don't support? Please.

But I will applaud you if your whining and ranting gets you what you want.

That is all that matters. 

What you want.

This poll and the thread preceding it didn't ask for anything. It didn't recommend anything. It had no suggestions. But by all means, I'm ranting and whining to get something that I am not even asking for. Sure.

What you are feeling is 

Accountability. 

No, what I am feeling in this... conversation... is rage that someone would quote only part of what I say multiple times while telling me I am wrong, while completely ignoring the statement that is part of said quote and insisting that the ignored part is something I need to be aware of and accept as if I haven't. You have cherry picked my comment over and over and over on this thread without ever once acknowledging that I already said, in the quote you like to cite, that the devs are not out to get me (or anyone else for that matter).

Someone standing up to you and calmly saying no.

No.

You are in the wrong.

What am I wrong on? My suggestion? I didn't make one. Feel free to show me anywhere on this thread or the "Thanks for the gift, can i give it back" thread where I actually make a suggestion. For my justification for said suggestion? I didn't make one because I didn't make a suggestion. Feel free to show me the suggestion. For making a poll as asked? Okay, you got me. If I was so against making a poll, I shouldn't have. For trying to break out where people stand on the poll? No, that isn't wrong. That is as wrong as including "No response", "Neither yes or no", or anything else of that nature. That the poll is slanted? I don't see it slanted. I see a spot where everyone that stands in opposition to the option, that isn't even defined or suggested, has a place to say they oppose it, where those that would like it can say they would like it, where those that don't care either way can say they don't care either way, and those that don't oppose but don't support either also have a place to have their say.

What are you so threatened by in this poll? The opposition votes are more numerous than the support votes. What are you so upset about in this thread or the previous one? I didn't ask for patrol xp to go die in a hole, have a means of being dumped, or have a means of being turned off. In fact, I specifically stated that was avoiding making such a suggestion. And if the question hadn't been posed yet again as to why I don't like patrol xp? The only comments I would have been making on this thread were reminders the poll was here so it stayed visible through the weekend.

So what am I wrong about? Tell me.

(Edit: If anything, the poll is biased in your favor. Why? Because every vote not in support is grouped into one category so that even if a vote would be "yes, I am opposed, but...", it is still only flagged as "yes". Whereas the nos? Are broken up into "no, I am not against and would actually like to see" and "no, I am not against but neither would I use it". So you and @Ghost should actually be happy with the poll because it is far easier for the "I am opposed" votes to carry weight for not being broken up into different possible "yes" responses. Otherwise the vote tally would be 16-29 instead of 16-9.)

Edited by Rudra

More options are always good even if I wouldn't use this particular one.

• Thumbs Up 1

"Minimal FX Everything!"

I love this game. I'm eternally grateful that it was brought back.

"It's not enough that I win, somebody else has to lose" is not the attitude of a Hero.

12 hours ago, Rudra said:

That the poll is slanted? I don't see it slanted

You ignored that I work with polls and surveys IRL.

I had to read your survey more than a few times to determine what answer to give.

The more direct a question and the simpler the answers, the better.

If anything, the poll is biased in your favor

Polls should never have a bias.

What are you so threatened by in this poll? The opposition votes are more numerous than the support votes. What are you so upset about in this thread or the previous one? I didn't ask for patrol xp to go die in a hole, have a means of being dumped, or have a means of being turned off. In fact, I specifically stated that was avoiding making such a suggestion. And if the question hadn't been posed yet again as to why I don't like patrol xp? The only comments I would have been making on this thread were reminders the poll was here so it stayed visible through the weekend.

I will not permit you to play a victim.

Accusing me of having these actions because I feel threatened, hardly.

It is a fact that this topic has come up before ... by you. 

/e poofgone

You ignored that I work with polls and surveys IRL.

I had to read your survey more than a few times to determine what answer to give.

The more direct a question and the simpler the answers, the better.

Meanwhile, you are ignoring that the poll already exists and that the answers should not be changed mid-poll after others have already responded. (And I kept the answers as straightforward as I thought they could be. ... After @UltraAlt highlighted my petulance in answer 1.) Further, even many Yes/No polls I've had to participate in do things like break out subcategories of yes and no. So while you may work with polls and surveys in real life? The poll I made is very much the same as many other polls I've had to answer. So even your claim that my poll is wrong is itself wrong simply based on official polls I've had to take at work. (Complete with poll tracking numbers and poll generator office name/address.)

17 hours ago, Rudra said:

If anything, the poll is biased in your favor

Polls should never have a bias.

Correct, they shouldn't. And I did my best to not have one, but some bias is going to show up depending on the poll. And in this case, the need to differentiate between those that support something as opposed to those that simply don't oppose it is necessary. So if the poll is referenced, both data points can be looked at. X many are not opposed, but only Y participants are actually in favor of.

I will not permit you to play a victim.

Stating how you feel about something is not playing the victim. And if this is about what seems to be your point about me thinking or claiming the devs are out to get me, then you are still ignoring my own comments stating otherwise. From the very quote you are claiming is me playing the victim card. The "Thanks for the gift, can I give it back" thread was not playing victim. It was expressing my frustration that yet another source of patrol xp was added to the game by taking away the regular xp the explores used to give. That is called giving feedback. (Especially since in that thread I don't call for it to be changed back or make any suggestions for anything.) Which these forums are about. Just like a player can log on these forums and sing their praises for the game or a change that was implemented, a player can log on these forums and say they don't like a change.

It is a fact that this topic has come up before ... by you. 

5 hours ago, JasperStone said:

Absolutely.

But this is not the first time this topic has come up in the forums.

By Rudra

Yes, I have addressed patrol XP now 5 times in some form. Twice as a suggestion for an option to be able to disable it (edit: taking a different option/approach to doing so on each), once as an option to be able to click something and dump what we have without it going towards anything including debt, most recently as my feedback for the explore badges now awarding patrol xp instead of regular xp change, and here with a poll I was asked to do and agreed to. (And by the way? After I was told that I got mentioned on the patch notes forum? I went there and read through it. And there seems to be some upset people about the change from regular xp to patrol xp on that forum too. So this change was not just a me thing for disagreement.) As for the poll? You know as well as I do that it isn't going to change a thing. I was asked to make a poll. The poll is here. You weren't piping up and saying anything about being a poll reviewer and offering your expertise to make the poll, and neither was anyone else. The poll is made and it is posted. It's a bit late now to change it beyond adding answers, which you are obviously opposed to since you say it should be trimmed down to just "Yes/No/Neither".

Edit: And you still haven't answered my question as to what I am wrong about.

Edited by Rudra
Edited to add missing "since".

On 2/25/2024 at 10:22 PM, Rudra said:

Hopefully last bump to keep poll visible.

well maybe not the last.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

• City Council

Players ask for options all the time for pretty much anything as if it was a no-brainer to just make everything into an option. While this is more-or-less true for client settings (graphics, controls, sound) it is very much not the case for server settings, especially those that affect gameplay.

Not only for the obvious reason of gameplay consistency (if everyone changes too many things about how the game works, it becomes harder for people to help each other since they will not have the same frame of reference) but because not everything can be made into an option. There's a concept in programming called "scope": while yes, at the end of the day everything in the game is in memory somewhere, parts of the game don't know every other part of the game, and making it so some parts of the game are accessible from a part of the game where they currently aren't can introduce issues. And that is assuming that the thing you want to change affects only the client or only the server; if the setting would require the client and server to both be aware of it and keep it synced between them, it becomes even more of a hassle.

In some cases, no amount of moving things around will get past that problem. There's a reason Null the Gull exists and hasn't been deprecated in all these years; the various gameplay changes it enables are only possible via directly giving something to the player character itself that can be detected via the powers system, or by polling the character inventory directly in order to see what badges they have available, or what alignment they are. Those things cannot be read from the settings code, and cannot be altered by settings -- not without some major surgery to change how settings are managed and stored, which is very much not worth the dev time.

In conclusion: pretty much every time a change is made, players ask for an option to avoid the change, and more often than not, they won't get that option. It doesn't matter what the result of the poll is, because if the setting is something we can add without much fuss, we'll just do it (see the various settings to control the power recharge animation -- a client setting) and if it's something that we determine isn't feasible to make into a setting, we won't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

It would be kind of a hacky solution but I wonder if you could have a clicky temp power available from the p2w vendor that added a single defeat's worth of debt to the player on a short cooldown? It would be quicker than Rudra committing multiple suicides at least.

• Like 1

"Minimal FX Everything!"

I love this game. I'm eternally grateful that it was brought back.

"It's not enough that I win, somebody else has to lose" is not the attitude of a Hero.

39 minutes ago, Random Robot said:

I wonder if you could have a clicky temp power available from the p2w vendor that added a single defeat's worth of debt to the player on a short cooldown

I would prefer if it was a "buff" we could place on other players.  We could line up to buff Rudra!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Bionic_Flea said:

I would prefer if it was a "buff" we could place on other players.  We could line up to buff Rudra!

I would follow him around all day, buffing him into oblivion