Requested Patrol XP Poll

Requested Patrol XP Poll  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Are you against an option (and only an option) to be able to turn off patrol xp in City of Heroes?

• Yes. I am against an option to disable patrol xp in the game. Because not worth dev time, think it is wrong to implement, or other reason.
    • No. I would like the option to be able to disable patrol xp.
    • No. I may not use the option, but it doesn't bother me.
    • Does this have to be a yes or no question? I don't care either way, have no opinion, or other reason for neither yes or no.

lol.

well. yeah. all those options are pretty much slanted.

good luck with that.

And, no. I did not vote because there are no options that are relevant to my position.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

13 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

lol.

well. yeah. all those options are pretty much slanted.

good luck with that.

And, no. I did not vote because there are no options that are relevant to my position.

Is that better? And what choice is missing? I'll add it.

Edit: Does the change for yes work better for you?

Edited by Rudra

Seriously?

These forums consist of maybe 10% (if even that) of the player base.  
Even if everyone voted the way you want them too, that doesn’t take into account how the vast majority would vote.

• Thumbs Down 1

7 hours ago, Rudra said:

s that better? And what choice is missing? I'll add it.

That's better.

As has been pointed out to me in the past, a none-of-the-above option is always good.

Not much traction yet.

We need to make sure to update this a couple times over the weekend.

Feel free to respond to me once a day and I'll reply to help keep it showing up on recent posts. 

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

1 hour ago, UltraAlt said:

That's better.

As has been pointed out to me in the past, a none-of-the-above option is always good.

Not much traction yet.

We need to make sure to update this a couple times over the weekend.

Feel free to respond to me once a day and I'll reply to help keep it showing up on recent posts. 

Yeah, I admit I was a bit... saucy... when I first wrote up the yes option. Sorry.

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

Seriously?

These forums consist of maybe 10% (if even that) of the player base.  
Even if everyone voted the way you want them too, that doesn’t take into account how the vast majority would vote.

I was asked to do a poll, so I am doing one. And if something should only be posted if the full player base is involved or should be disregarded because the forums are such a small portion of the player base, then we may as well shut down the Suggestions and Feedback forum.

1 hour ago, Rudra said:

because the forums are such a small portion of the player base

I do think that there is a much larger percentage of players that check out CoH forums than those that spend time in other gaming forums.

I haven't played a ton of other MMORPGs but I have played a few, and the above would be my conclusion.

Also that many are more likely to be on the forums on the weekends versus during the week.

Waste of time. Extreme waste of time, and with the way the game's code is, extremely likely to end up bugging out XP gain for everyone.

This was a bad idea the first time you made a thread about it, Rudra, and it's still a bad idea the sixth time.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 3

45 minutes ago, A.I.D.A. said:

Waste of time. Extreme waste of time, and with the way the game's code is, extremely likely to end up bugging out XP gain for everyone.

This was a bad idea the first time you made a thread about it, Rudra, and it's still a bad idea the sixth time.

So you voted in the "yes" column? Thank you for your participation. Sorry, but we're out of door prizes. Maybe next time.

15 hours ago, Ghost said:

Just for everyone's edification, this is how all polls work. Hence why established polling firms identify sample size of respondents and margins of error when publishing results.

Canvasing 5000 people over a week across several intersections in Tokyo for example, would only be a fraction of the overall citizen opinion of just that city, much less across Japan. And yet this is how many "reliable" polls are conducted. 

• Thanks 1

if I don't like any of the candidates options do I have to vote?

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

This poll question is fundamentally flawed because it presupposes the option to turn off Patrol XP is being added, has already been added, or is in talks of being added and that the majority opinion appears to be for it.

Instead of asking, "Are you against an option to turn off patrol xp in City of Heroes?" which has the issues mentioned above, it should be asking, "Are you for an option to turn off patrol xp in City of Heroes?" because it's an idea that is being suggested to gauge public opinion.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a dishonest question but it's not framed appropriately.

Edited by Mathew322
  • Thumbs Down 1

35 minutes ago, Troo said:

if I don't like any of the candidates options do I have to vote?

What is missing? I'll add it.

11 minutes ago, Mathew322 said:

This poll question is fundamentally flawed because it presupposes the option to turn off Patrol XP is being added, has already been added, or is in talks of being added and that the majority opinion appears to be for it.

Instead of asking, "Are you against an option to turn off patrol xp in City of Heroes?" which has the issues mentioned above, it should be asking, "Are you for an option to turn off patrol xp in City of Heroes?" because it's an idea that is being suggested to gauge public opinion.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a dishonest question but it's not framed appropriately.

It can be done either way. The question does not presuppose anything is being added, is being talked about being added, or already exists. All it asks is if the respondents are against such an option or not. I was asked to make a poll to see how players felt about the option to be able to turn off patrol xp. So I did. (Edit: Nor does it presuppose the majority is in favor of such an option. If anything, my presupposition going into this poll is most would be indifferent, neither for nor against.) (Edit again: Which is why I made choices 3 and 4.)

Edited by Rudra

2 minutes ago, Rudra said:

It can be done either way. The question does not presuppose anything is being added, is being talked about being added, or already exists. All it asks is if the respondents are against such an option or not. I was asked to make a poll to see how players felt about the option to be able to turn off patrol xp. So I did.

Those are two different things though, if you were asked to make a poll about how players would feel about a feature, you can't frame it in a way that asks players if they would be against that feature, it's misleading.

24 minutes ago, Mathew322 said:

Those are two different things though, if you were asked to make a poll about how players would feel about a feature, you can't frame it in a way that asks players if they would be against that feature, it's misleading.

The question can be asked as "are you in favor" or "are you opposed". (Edit: Hells, the question could have been asked as "where do you stand on such an option".) The only presuppositions involved are your own. There is no statement that such an option exists. There is no statement that such an option is pending. There is no statement that such an option is even being talked about. There isn't even an implication for any of the above. It is simply a question of whether a respondent is opposed to such an option. Just as if I had written the question of whether a respondent was in favor of such an option. You're reading too much into it.

Edit again: For that matter, no matter how I wrote the question, someone could think there was a presupposition of such an option pending or being talked about if they want. Question asks if respondents are in favor? Then maybe it is being discussed and the poll is to try and cement support for it. Question is a neutral where do the respondents stand? Then maybe it is being talked about and support for it is being gauged, or maybe it is pending and how players may react to it is being gauged, or maybe it already exists and the poll is to see if the players even know it is there. So my advice? You're reading too much into it, and just take the question as a question.

Edited by Rudra

On 2/22/2024 at 2:26 AM, Rudra said:

patrol xp having an option to be disabled

I think a more elegant solution, (which you may have suggested elsewhere), would be to have it where toggling the option to disable XP would affect patrol/rested XP while logged off as well.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, biostem said:

I think a more elegant solution, (which you may have suggested elsewhere), would be to have it where toggling the option to disable XP would affect patrol/rested XP while logged off as well.

I'd like to take credit for that suggested option, but it wasn't me that originated it.

• Thumbs Up 1

i don't even understand why you would want to.
other then not liking blue as a color? I donno, i can't think of a single good reason why the devs should spend time on all the trouble shooting that would need to go into implementing this, rather then working on new costume parts or powers or, something thing that's actually an issue.

• Like 1

Lunar is entirely correct, Patrol XP doesn't even do a lot benefit the player besides paying off Dept while you're logged off, paying off Dept when you die, and converting to 50% extra regular XP when you gain XP, if you're looking to increase the difficulty of the game in some way then just turn off XP Gain, that's what I do.

Edited by Mathew322

58 minutes ago, LunarTemplar said:

i don't even understand why you would want to.
other then not liking blue as a color? I donno, i can't think of a single good reason why the devs should spend time on all the trouble shooting that would need to go into implementing this, rather then working on new costume parts or powers or, something thing that's actually an issue.

25 minutes ago, Mathew322 said:

Lunar is entirely correct, Patrol XP doesn't even do a lot benefit the player besides paying off Dept while you're logged off, paying off Dept when you die, and converting to 50% extra regular XP when you gain XP, if you're looking to increase the difficulty of the game in some way then just turn off XP Gain, that's what I do.

Just read those. I'm really tired of repeating myself. Especially since the thread that led to this poll wasn't even a suggestion in the first place.

11 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Just read those. I'm really tired of repeating myself. Especially since the thread that led to this poll wasn't even a suggestion in the first place.

I just don't see an actual reason, like why do you want to turn off Patrol XP in the first place? It seems like you have a personal vendetta against the feature but you won't explain why you believe there should be a change in the first place and you've been complaining about it for 6+ months, why do you not like Patrol XP?

14 minutes ago, Mathew322 said:

I just don't see an actual reason, like why do you want to turn off Patrol XP in the first place? It seems like you have a personal vendetta against the feature but you won't explain why you believe there should be a change in the first place and you've been complaining about it for 6+ months, why do you not like Patrol XP?

The explanation is in the threads. All of the threads I linked. I've given my reasons ad nauseam. Since you are unwilling to read said threads and insist I haven't given reasons though? I hate patrol xp. Always have. It is an unearned reward that accelerates your leveling. It is an incentive to not play the game. I understand why it exists, but that doesn't change the fact that I hate it beyond mere words' ability to convey. That it was added is fine. That players can't choose to not get it is not. And you can't get rid of it. All you can do is use it to level or pay off debt. And I personally am sick and tired of spending my game time committing suicide to get rid of it before I start playing. We can choose to not get badges. We can choose to not get powers. We can choose to not get xp. We can even choose to not get inf'. We can't choose to not get patrol xp though. No, patrol xp is shoved down our throats with a fucking fire hose with a 'you want this, no matter what you say, what you really mean is you want this' mentality.