Risk to Reward Equity

With the upgrading of many of the mob groups such as Council, which did spice up the game. I looked at what the last run of "challenge" upgrades were made, specially since I experienced the advanced mode Lady Grey TF, and now done the PI missions with the improved mob groups.

There is an old saying: "little risk, little gain"

That said, it seems to me as we enjoy the content of the game, the risk experienced by players as they play the various character classes is quite different, and as the saying above would indicate, why do all classes receive the same inf and exp reward?

After I endured advanced 2 star Lady Grey, I noted that the vast majority of the challenges were Status Effect centric, with some rather interesting tactical approaches such as teleport the victim player to the middle of the mob group.

When you give the above some thought, and think about how the different classes were affected by this new and improved challenge, it is very easy to observe that the support classes are much more impacted by these changes. With the increase of status effect usage, the support class who by design has no status effect MAG protections, is extremely susceptible to this form of attack (one can only carry so many break frees) and with the drastic increase of Status Effect spamming AOE mobs the effect is simply brutal. Usually over time support classes, who are experienced, usually know to  target through the tank to avoid aggroe, and to stay away from the main mob group for safety. But by giving mobs the ability to automatically/not resistible teleport the poor victim player (usually a support class) into the middle of the mob group to be quickly overwhelmed by the spam status effects and direct attacks is just a very cruel thing. A melee player, would love to be transported into the middle of the mob group and make them pay in spades for their dumb tactic, but  the feel is just the opposite for support types.

When you look at the new challenge that a melee experiences is light at best, and ultimately, the challenge melee really experience comes from having their support reduced to dust.

But this article is about rewarding justly, no risk - no gain, little risk - little gain, crazy stupid risk - crazy stupid gain.

So my proposal would be a 25% modifier increase (or there abouts) to the awarded inf and exp received by any class that does not have organic powers that gives Status Effect Protections, since this form of attack is now quite prevalent in the game.

Another look, could be to even out the risk taken by a class, by now giving Support classes Status Effect Protections. Not suggesting Tank (12), Scrapper (8) Status Effect Protection, but perhaps a 4 MAG status protection since these classes now need it as opposed to live days when the mobs did not even have ranged attacks and ranged status effects.

Change is good, if it is fair

Hugs

Sue

• Thumbs Down 5

I mean, considering that XP and INF in +3 and +4 difficulty content outside of advanced mode TFs/SFs was just slightly nerfed, I very much doubt this will be likely.

Also, some support power sets already offer status effect protection - Force Field, Sonic Resonance, Electrical Affinity, and to a lesser degree Radiation Emission and Trick Arrow.

On 2/25/2024 at 12:05 PM, Lunar Ronin said:

I mean, considering that XP and INF in +3 and +4 difficulty content outside of advanced mode TFs/SFs was just slightly nerfed, I very much doubt this will be likely.

Also, some support power sets already offer status effect protection - Force Field, Sonic Resonance, Electrical Affinity, and to a lesser degree Radiation Emission and Trick Arrow.

I am after a form of compensation for classes who has a harder time, by developer design, when doing the material, that exp and what was nurfed is irrelevant to the topic to a large extent for both the melee and support were equally affected. The problem with advanced mode, is that the increase of challenge was not even between melee and support, the point I was trying to make, the so called new challenge has a much greater impact on support and thus asking for a greater reward for a greater risk.

Edited by MsSmart
  • Thumbs Down 1

And the point of teams doing this is that they cover for each other.  The melee and such taking the hits and mez attempts while support - *supports* with buffs/debuffs, control and damage.

One is *not* more valuable than the other. One should not get more reward than the other. We don't need this, we don't need "damage meters" to prove who "carried" the team (to go the other way with it,) we don't need any similar nonsense.

Besides, there have been entire groups (see: Repeat Offenders and their subgroups) that are nothing *but* support and would absolutely trivialize content. Support does not mean helpless or weak. Plus, of course, what is affected to more or less of a degree isn't an AT thing - it'll be affected by both primary and secondary, and that's before we get into slotting. If I'm running a psy character vs robots, should I get more inf and XP? It's more risk for me, after all, since they resist it so much more.

No. Not needed at all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

On 2/25/2024 at 11:56 AM, MsSmart said:

So my proposal would be a 25% modifier increase (or there abouts) to the awarded inf and exp received by any class that does not have organic powers that gives Status Effect Protections, since this form of attack is now quite prevalent in the game.

That would require locking those archetypes out of Defensive Amplifiers, Indomitable Will (Psi APP for controllers), Defiant Barrage proc (blaster ATO) and both Clarion and Melee Hybrid Incarnate paths, as well as removing any self-affecting status protection from their primaries/secondaries, in order to balance the XP/inf* boost.  If that did happen, a lot of players would be howling for blood.  And if they weren't locked out of those existing status protections, a lot of players would simply use those options and rake in rewards without additional risk.

• Thanks 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.