Martial Arts Scrapper: Settling on a secondary

One IV All

I’ve settled on giving MA a shot on a Scrapper. 

I have 3 concepts/secondaries I am looking at, and wanted to see which secondary people feel would mesh best with Martial Arts!

**Shield Defense** seems like a good layered set. AAO is a cool damage bump, and Shield Charge brings some nice extra AOE to MA. I primarily team, so it’s nice that it brings some buffs to the team as well. The negative for this combo is that there is no heal power in either set. I guess I could grab Rebirth if I ever felt I needed one. I also dig the costume effects of Shield. Concept is kind of a crossover between Cap America and Thor, with the electric shield!

**Stone Armor** was updated on HC and I have heard great things about it. It seems like a mix of defense and resists. Brings some AOE with it’s dmg aura and brimstone procs. +Max HP power and some endurance recovery. Two negatives I see are that there is no taunt aura. I primarily team, so I guess it isn’t a huge deal, unless I’m main tanking. Second is it might be a bit more difficult to build, due to it’s mix up of defense and resists. Concept is almost like an Avatar Earth Ninja that can harden his skin or use stone/earth around him for armor.

**Ice Armor** seems strong on Scraps/Stalkers. Icy Bastion just seems like a great T9 power. Decent heal/endurance recovery and +Max HP. Primarily a defensive set it seems. Doesn’t help with AOE damage much, but has a slow aura and dmg aura with icicles. Negative for it is lack of DDR and not taunt aura. Concept for it is a Cryomancer warrior, kind of like Sub Zero.

MA is very versatile.  good options for focus feedback recharge.  smashing damage type is solid.  option for achilles heel proc on axe kick.  generally speaking, not heavy on endurance.  MA does not really -demand- any fixing from a secondary armor set like some other primaries might.  if MA has any 'weakness' -- it is a little bit lacking on aoe damage but if you are picking up ball lightning or fireball from patron, that doesnt matter too much.  so overall, MA will work with whatever you want.  not much not need to worry about synergy problems.

are you looking for theme affirmation or tier list kinda stuff?

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Haijinx said:

I don't think you will miss the heal on Shield defense

Definitely agree on this. And you can get pretty close to scrapper HP cap with just your build and a few accolades. You can do this 6 slotting True Grit and slapping the preventive maintenance set in there. Slap the power transfer chance to heal proc in stamina, panacea and numina in health, and you'll be doing pretty good health wise for sure.

Edited by SomeGuy
  • Thumbs Up 2

15 hours ago, One IV All said:

I have 3 concepts/secondaries I am looking at, and wanted to see which secondary people feel would mesh best with Martial Arts!

**Shield Defense** seems like a good layered set. AAO is a cool damage bump, and Shield Charge brings some nice extra AOE to MA. I primarily team, so it’s nice that it brings some buffs to the team as well. The negative for this combo is that there is no heal power in either set. I guess I could grab Rebirth if I ever felt I needed one. I also dig the costume effects of Shield. Concept is kind of a crossover between Cap America and Thor, with the electric shield!

**Stone Armor** was updated on HC and I have heard great things about it. It seems like a mix of defense and resists. Brings some AOE with it’s dmg aura and brimstone procs. +Max HP power and some endurance recovery. Two negatives I see are that there is no taunt aura. I primarily team, so I guess it isn’t a huge deal, unless I’m main tanking. Second is it might be a bit more difficult to build, due to it’s mix up of defense and resists. Concept is almost like an Avatar Earth Ninja that can harden his skin or use stone/earth around him for armor.

**Ice Armor** seems strong on Scraps/Stalkers. Icy Bastion just seems like a great T9 power. Decent heal/endurance recovery and +Max HP. Primarily a defensive set it seems. Doesn’t help with AOE damage much, but has a slow aura and dmg aura with icicles. Negative for it is lack of DDR and not taunt aura. Concept for it is a Cryomancer warrior, kind of like Sub Zero.

Ninjitsu - res/def/End management/stealth/heal/movement. 

It's got it all. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Infinitum said:

Ninjitsu - res/def/End management/stealth/heal/movement. 

It's got it all. 

My only worry with Ninjitsu is the complete lack of AOE.

I guess though that MA has an inherent increase in accuracy, correct? You could probably forgo Focused Accuracy and pick up one of the patron powers with an AOE (Ball Lightning, Fire Ball, etc).

1 hour ago, SomeGuy said:

Definitely agree on this. And you can get pretty close to scrapper HP cap with just your build and a few accolades. You can do this 6 slotting True Grit and slapping the preventive maintenance set in there. Slap the power transfer chance to heal proc in stamina, panacea and numina in health, and you'll be doing pretty good health wise for sure.

Great call outs 

2 hours ago, One IV All said:

My only worry with Ninjitsu is the complete lack of AOE.

I guess though that MA has an inherent increase in accuracy, correct? You could probably forgo Focused Accuracy and pick up one of the patron powers with an AOE (Ball Lightning, Fire Ball, etc).

I'm a bit different in my approach to the game. 

Let me preface by saying there's nothing wrong with building for AOE and statistically it's probably better than my approach.

My view is this is a game and I'm going to find as many different ways to enjoy it as I can.

If a set like MA is inherantly ST strong - I build for that strength and try to make a mini game of how many things I can one shot as quickly as possible.  It also comes in handy for hardened target encounters. 

Ninjitsu is a very strong set with a lot of tools - and with Shinobi Iri it increases critical chance so it will cater to the strong ST MA attacks but also can benefit Dragons Tail.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

19 hours ago, One IV All said:

Should note, Stone's T9 is good too.  You recover while they beat on the Geode.  It is a mix, but it works.

I like Rebirth on Shield Defense myself.  But once you softcap and IO out, you may not need it.  Especially if with some of the Epic picks you can get.

Not keen on Ice Armor's lack of DDR.

Edited by BrandX
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

i play a little different than most i never build with T9 power to be used nor due i build with the idea that my incarnate will get me to were i want to be. that being said i would recommend out of the secondary's you have listed to go with Stone. Stone can reach survivability with good damage and recharge on its own. That being said i would say take a look at Bio before you make a decision i know not everyone likes Bio but it has everything needed built in to be able to survive solo or run with a team. 

4 hours ago, One IV All said:

You know, I guess kind of both 😂

if you care about tier lists on scrapper then the only armor set to care about is called bio armor... incidentally missing from your list there......... away from bio armor, and of the 3 you have listed there, shield = stone >> ice.  i would personally give the edge to shield because missing taunt aura really blows and mud pots slow doesnt cut it.  if you team mostly though, not much to worry about there.  the biggest reason for scrapper taunt is so that critters stand and fight (not run away).

should also note that shield charge on scrapper is really not that great and honestly skippable (it is quite good on tanker).

thematically, i feel like doing 'earthbender' without stone melee just feels off.  the shield concept is cool but maybe generic.  the subzero adjacent concept sounds fun (would probably want to run ice epic pool with it to sling ice bolts).

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Infinitum said:

I'm a bit different in my approach to the game. 

Let me preface by saying there's nothing wrong with building for AOE and statistically it's probably better than my approach.

My view is this is a game and I'm going to find as many different ways to enjoy it as I can.

If a set like MA is inherantly ST strong - I build for that strength and try to make a mini game of how many things I can one shot as quickly as possible.  It also comes in handy for hardened target encounters. 

Ninjitsu is a very strong set with a lot of tools - and with Shinobi Iri it increases critical chance so it will cater to the strong ST MA attacks but also can benefit Dragons Tail.

Doesn’t MA have a mechanic that gives it a higher crit chances as well? Could be a nice synergy.

58 minutes ago, One IV All said:

Doesn’t MA have a mechanic that gives it a higher crit chances as well? Could be a nice synergy.

Eagle's Claws https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=scrapper_melee.martial_arts.eagles_claw&at=scrapper

It gives a 33% increased chance to crit for the next MARTIAL ART's attacks in a 2s window.

image.png.9e515aae3a8ca600b899170812ce36e6.png

So if you slap the scrapper ATO2 in that attack, and it activates, you now have a 83% chance to crit for your next MA attack. If you can fit another attack in that window...lol. You can bump that up to 86% with the ATO1 somewhere. Enjoy!

Edited by SomeGuy
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SomeGuy said:

Eagle's Claws https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=scrapper_melee.martial_arts.eagles_claw&at=scrapper

It gives a 33% increased chance to crit for the next MARTIAL ART's attacks in a 2s window.

image.png.9e515aae3a8ca600b899170812ce36e6.png

Interesting. So with Ninjitsu, you can Shinobi in (lol) have a high chance to crit with Eagle’s Claw from hide and immediate follow up with Dragon’s Tail for a potential AOE crit.

6 minutes ago, One IV All said:

Interesting. So with Ninjitsu, you can Shinobi in (lol) have a high chance to crit with Eagle’s Claw from hide and immediate follow up with Dragon’s Tail for a potential AOE crit.

Shin, BU (and BU gaussian proc go off), EC crit, ATO2 activates, Dragon's Tail crit. Profit.

Edited by SomeGuy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, One IV All said:

boom!  its so fun  just ran a Tin Pex with mine  it felt like an episode of Cobra Kai  lol

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, One IV All said:

So I gotta ask you @SomeGuy: between Shield and Ninjitsu, which do you like with MA?

I'm a taunt aura whore, so I got to go with Shield. I actually have done MA/NIN but had to re-roll cause of runners. I solo. A lot.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

So if you slap the scrapper ATO2 in that attack, and it activates, you now have a 83% chance to crit for your next MA attack. If you can fit another attack in that window...lol. You can bump that up to 86% with the ATO1 somewhere. Enjoy!

So the Ninjitsu opening would be with Eagle Claw from stealth, enjoying a 65% base chance (can be increased) to crit, then follow up with a second attack which enjoys a boosted chance to crit. 

Not quite the joy of openning with AoE crit, but not shabby.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Erratic1 said:

So the Ninjitsu opening would be with Eagle Claw from stealth, enjoying a 65% base chance (can be increased) to crit, then follow up with a second attack which enjoys a boosted chance to crit. 

Would be a LOL-tastic way of really hurting a boss and hurting the mob around it. I think it would be a long enough window to EC - CAK - DT.

That would really hurt a boss. Like, a lot. Cause you can put a Achille's -RES in CAK too, so it would take another 20% damage if it procs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Erratic1 said:

Would be a LOL-tastic way of really hurting a boss and hurting the mob around it. I think it would be a long enough window to EC - CAK - DT.

That would really hurt a boss. Like, a lot. Cause you can put a Achille's -RES in CAK too, so it would take another 20% damage if it procs.

This does sound fun, and like a boss killer haha. That was my question, if I'd be able to fit in TWO attacks in the span of EC's +crit window.