Stuttering, freezing and rubberbanding, OH MY!

So, lately I've been having NOTHING but trouble trying to play the game.  I've made a video to show you some of what's going on.

I'm not as computer savvy as some, so I have no idea what's causing it.  My PC is capable of, and DOES run much newer games (Star Citizen, Red Dead Redemption 2, etc.) at MAXIMUM settings, with no trouble... so I can't fathom why it can't seem to handle City of Heroes.

Any thoughts?

I call them "micro stutters" and I get them constantly.  I assume it because the client is reading something related to FX for powers for other people or me from the drive and it does not like something.  I have found recently that when I play one of my tankers the client freezes, will not CTD and I have tab into Task Manager a few times to kill it.  I looked in the Client logs and found this to be a problem:

2024-05-05 21:09:11 [E]  Error in file CUSTOMIZEABLEPOWERS/RADIATIONBLAST/BLAZINGAURA.FX
2024-05-05 21:09:11 [E]  Error in file CUSTOMIZEABLEPOWERS/RADIATIONBLAST/BLAZINGAURA.FX
2024-05-05 21:11:20 [E]  Error in file CUSTOMIZEABLEPOWERS/RADIATIONBLAST/BLAZINGAURA.FX
2024-05-05 21:11:20 [E]  Error in file CUSTOMIZEABLEPOWERS/RADIATIONBLAST/BLAZINGAURA.FX
2024-05-05 21:12:26 [V]  Entering menu MENU_COMBINE_SPEC
2024-05-05 21:12:53 [V]  Entering menu MENU_GAME
2024-05-05 21:15:51 [E]  Error in file CUSTOMIZEABLEPOWERS/RADIATIONBLAST/BLAZINGAURA.FX
2024-05-05 21:15:51 [E]  Error in file CUSTOMIZEABLEPOWERS/RADIATIONBLAST/BLAZINGAURA.FX

• Game Master
2 hours ago, BellatorMonk said:

I call them "micro stutters" and I get them constantly.  I assume it because the client is reading something related to FX for powers for other people or me from the drive and it does not like something.  I have found recently that when I play one of my tankers the client freezes, will not CTD and I have tab into Task Manager a few times to kill it.  I looked in the Client logs and found this to be a problem:

2024-05-05 21:12:26 [V]  Entering menu MENU_COMBINE_SPEC
2024-05-05 21:12:53 [V]  Entering menu MENU_GAME

That's been a problem for years and most of have that error message pop up regularly. The devs keep trying to fix it but it's resistant to everything they try.

• Game Master
3 hours ago, Ultimo said:

So, lately I've been having NOTHING but trouble trying to play the game.  I've made a video to show you some of what's going on.

I'm not as computer savvy as some, so I have no idea what's causing it.  My PC is capable of, and DOES run much newer games (Star Citizen, Red Dead Redemption 2, etc.) at MAXIMUM settings, with no trouble... so I can't fathom why it can't seem to handle City of Heroes.

Any thoughts?

A couple of things we recommend.

Reboot your router. Sometimes it gets stuck.

Open the laumcher and click the three dots under Homecoming. Click verify. Then click the dots again and settings, then in settings click the reset graphics on next run 

When you open the game the screen will open in a small box. Click settings and put the graphics to borderless and not windowed. 

Hopefully that helps.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok, I'm actually glad to hear it's a problem others have.  It tells me it's not my system (necessarily).

I'll keep trying to work it out, if I discover a magic fix, I'll be sure to post it here!

12 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

That's been a problem for years and most of have that error message pop up regularly. The devs keep trying to fix it but it's resistant to everything they try.

Well I had thought it might be related to some mods for the powers sounds.  I removed most of the mods those seem likely related to such powers and will see if it continues.  If this is a built original FX issue then yah..I hope they can squash it one day.  The micro stuttering is super annoying. As for the client crashing...it never happened before I made the Fire Tanker.  So if it is that toon and FX for it, I guess I will be playing that one sparingly and only for AEs and solo play.  Hate to crash like that during a raid/mission.

Got this one today as well during Zone Event Hamidon's Seed.  Even after removing the mods for the Blazing Aura per above the error still occurs and on characters that don't use it.  So it does seem to be erroring whether it's reading for my toon or someone else's and it's core file:

2024-05-06 14:16:28  Connecting to mapserver 198.27.89.11:18764 (UDP) cookie: 746420ce..   (0.74)
2024-05-06 14:16:47  Detailing trays.. done                                                (0.05)
2024-05-06 14:16:47  Welding interior models.. 61 welded                                   (0.00)
2024-05-06 14:16:47  Applying texture swaps...3759 different, 96664 same                   (0.05)
2024-05-06 14:16:47  Loading zowie locations.. 32 zowies found                             (0.00)
2024-05-06 14:16:50  loading novodex shapes...done: 961 shapes created.                    (2.44)
2024-05-06 14:16:50  initActorSporeGrid...done.                                            (0.00)
2024-05-06 14:16:54  loading textures.. (41.570 Mbytes 0.000 TexWord MPixels)              (3.07)
2024-05-06 14:16:54                                                                        (3.35)
2024-05-06 14:19:23 [E]  Failed to make ENEMYFX\V_SeedHamidon\BurrHamidon_01\Burr_Hamidon_01.fx 
2024-05-06 14:19:27 [E]  Failed to make ENEMYFX\V_SeedHamidon\BurrHamidon_01\Burr_Hamidon_01.fx 
2024-05-06 14:27:12 [E]  Failed to make ENEMYFX\V_SeedHamidon\BurrHamidon_01\Burr_Hamidon_01.fx 
2024-05-06 14:27:17 [E]  Failed to make ENEMYFX\V_SeedHamidon\BurrHamidon_01\Burr_Hamidon_01.fx 

OK, I"M NOT CRAZY...thank you.  I have been having this same problem since the new version that came out after the annoncement a couple of months ago.  I have done everything under the sun, all the things you do when you think it is your system not jiving with an update.  I have driven myself nuts.  I ask if others are having the problem and they are not.  I get a glitch in the matrix thinking its too many particle effects, but of course I have some rig that should cruise thru a 20 year old game.  I understand that means nothing and may actually make things worse as the game wasn't written for the types of PCs we have now.

I am thankful to hear its not just me.  That doesn't mean I will keep tweaking but it does mean I'm not the only one with the "micro stutters"

On 5/6/2024 at 12:47 AM, GM Crumpet said:

A couple of things we recommend.

Reboot your router. Sometimes it gets stuck.

Open the laumcher and click the three dots under Homecoming. Click verify. Then click the dots again and settings, then in settings click the reset graphics on next run 

When you open the game the screen will open in a small box. Click settings and put the graphics to borderless and not windowed. 

Hopefully that helps.

I tried this, it seems to have relieved the problem, at least for now.

• Thumbs Up 1

My internet is going via wifi to my landlords connection.    Usually, it's fine, but when I first moved here, everything except for CoX seemed to work well.  Turns out my router was having some issues and once I replaced it, it cleared up.   I think CoX is a little more sensitive to bad internet, probably just that it was designed with a slower connection speed in mind.

You can actually get a better connection to wi-fi if your 10’ from the router then if the router is sitting on top of your desk 2’ from your computer. If the router is close to your computer try moving it a bit farther away.

• Thumbs Up 1

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it just means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

Let's Go Crack a Planet.

1 hour ago, Arc-Mage said:

You can actually get a better connection to wi-fi if your 10’ from the router then if the router is sitting on top of your desk 2’ from your computer. If the router is close to your computer try moving it a bit farther away.

If the router is only 10' away, they might as well use an ethernet cable.