Adding hundreds of custom critters into a group

Posted (edited)

I make a custom group where each member has a different name. I also slightly vary their height and their color. The group has 54 bosses, 162 lieutenants, and 324 minions. In total, there are 540 toons. Yet, it only takes about 63% of the size limit. 

DI2529c.png

K60amGZ.png

I was going to squeeze another 230 toons into the group (770 characters for a 90% size limit). Unfortunately, the interface lagged after I added the group to my story. Adding or editing each character in the text box takes a full second; typing "Thank you for rescuing me, $name!" quickly became a nightmare.

The mission itself went smoothly. As far as I know, there were no weird changes in costumes or colors.

dtJ6Uob.jpg

So, in a practical sense, there is no need to worry about the size limit unless you include hundreds of unique toons in your story.

Edited by huang3721
adding picture
  • Thumbs Up 2

That's just crazy! I'd have thought things would crash well before that.

My issues with file size are well-documented. I've had crash issues with nowhere near as many critters. That's on my poor lil laptop though.

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

8 hours ago, cranebump said:

I've had crash issues with nowhere near as many critters.

True that. Seeing all of the hard work ruined is beyond annoying.

When creating characters for Daughters of Gaia, I encountered a bug where the game increased my toon's height to maximum and randomly assigned colors to her costume. It happened when I went back and forth between body and costume tabs while editing my custom character. My hunch is that these errors in *.critter files add up and eventually ruin the villain group and the story arc they are attached to.

31 minutes ago, huang3721 said:

When creating characters for Daughters of Gaia, I encountered a bug where the game increased my toon's height to maximum and randomly assigned colors to her costume. It happened when I went back and forth between body and costume tabs while editing my custom character. My hunch is that these errors in *.critter files add up and eventually ruin the villain group and the story arc they are attached to.

I would think your efforts to test the limits will be extremely useful in ferreting out things like that. Looking forward to seeing what else pops up.

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

• 4 weeks later
On 5/21/2024 at 9:07 PM, cranebump said:

I'd have thought things would crash well before that.

I found out yesterday that, yes, things crashed. Despite the story running smoothly during testing, uploading it was problematic. The server kept forcibly disconnecting me whenever I tried to publish the thing.

hEeyV5x.png

Perhaps the file size was too large. So, I cut the number of toons from 540 to 180. The game accepted the revised file.

I guess the maximum size limit is not 100 kB. It seems to be much lower than that in reality. 

• Like 1

I've never been able to get a workable arc over 50% file size.  I usually start crashing in the 40s and have to start scaling back.

Play my AE Adventures, listed under @Jiro Ito, including award winners:

"The Headless Huntsman of Salamanca" #43870 **Scrapbot AE Contest Winner May 2022**           

"On the Claw-Tipped Wings of Betrayal" #43524 **November 2021 Dev's Choice**  

"The Defenders of Talos" #44578 **Mission Architect Competition Winner for October 2021: REBIRTH**  

15 hours ago, huang3721 said:

Perhaps the file size was too large. So, I cut the number of toons from 540 to 180. The game accepted the revised file.

I guess the maximum size limit is not 100 kB. It seems to be much lower than that in reality. 

It's got to be something other than file size. I've uploaded and run missions of 200-500+ kb.  However, they also didn't have that many unique NPCs. So ... more "whats in it" than "how big it is," I'm guessing.

image.png.ec926c2f85b9e747d9d141173c6940a7.png

Edit: Also, that largest mission at 581 kb only shows 38% of the file size used in the AE editor.

Edited by Greycat
More info

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

• 3 weeks later
On 6/14/2024 at 1:20 PM, Greycat said:

It's got to be something other than file size.

It seems the publish limit is 380 characters.

Publishing an arc with more than 380 characters in a group (381 toons, for example) will cause the game to disconnect. 

I tried to create two groups to sidestep the limitation. The first group contains 380 toons, and the second contains the rest of my toons. It also didn't work.

These screenshots are the size of my single-mission test story arc with 380 custom characters (ID: 62979).

vXYMRP9.png

KIl2Lo8.png  s2haJRG.png

• Thumbs Up 1