PIRATEs (Power-Inclusive, Restricted-Archetype Enhancements) ahoy!!!

The idea here is more AT-exclusive enhancements; unlike the existing ones, they are all 4-piece sets, and instead of all just improving attacks (or mezzes) they all shore up things that the Archetype, broadly speaking, isn't known for.

Like existing AT Enhancements, they can be Catalyzed into Superior versions with approximately doubled bonuses and such.

Most importantly, despite being Archetype-Exclusive, they can be slotted into any appropriate power - including Ancillary/Patron/Pool powers a character of the correct Archetype may take.

I don't claim to be good at precise numbers, so instead I use a broader code of "+"es to indicate roughly how good the set bonus is.

Also, I should explain my personal shorthand that will be seen below, although many might find it self-explanatory:

"Physical" = Smashing and Lethal damage

"Thermal" = Fire and Cold damage

"Power" = Energy and Negative Energy damage

"Life" = Psionic and Toxic damage

Finally, I hope you like my NPC homages!

Without further ado:

Ricochet’s Vigor” (Healing, Blaster PIRATE):

Image: close-up of Ricochet with her pink helmet and maniacal grin

1. Healing/Recharge

2. Healing/Endurance

3. Healing/Endurance/Recharge

4. Healing/Ranged Defense (grants static bonus to ranged defense - 4%/7% Catalyzed?)

Set Bonuses:

#2: +Physical Defense

#3: ++Power Defense

#4: +++Accuracy

Metronome’s Volatile Presence” (PBAoE Damage, Controller PIRATE):

Image: Metronome looming behind some fighting Praetorian Clockwork

- Accuracy/Recharge

- Damage/Endurance

- Damage

- Damage/Chance for Burnout (as Super-Speed; uncommon proc)

Set Bonuses:

#2: +Recharge

#3: +Control Duration

#4: ++++Life Defense

Proton’s Frustration” (Melee Damage, Defender PIRATE):

Image: Proton raising his fists in anger

- Damage

- Accuracy/Damage

- Accuracy/Recharge/Endurance

- Damage/Chance to Confuse (brief, weak effect, but proc rate is decent)

Set Bonuses:

#2: ++Power Resistance

#3: ++Damage

#4: ++Control Duration

Grym’s Otherworldly Glamour” (Confuse, Scrapper PIRATE):

Image: Grym striking a noble pose

- Accuracy/Confuse

- Accuracy/Confuse/Recharge

- Accuracy/Endurance

- Endurance/Melee Defense (grants static bonus to melee defense - 3%/5% Catalyzed?)

Set Bonuses:

#2: +++Power Resistance

#3: +Thermal Resistance

#4: ++Debuff Resistance

Dillo’s Cosmic Defense” (Ranged Damage, Tanker PIRATE):

Image: Dillo pointing, projecting an energy-ray up at the starry sky

- Accuracy/Damage

- Accuracy/Range

- Damage/Range

- Accuracy/Chance to Slow

Set Bonuses:

#2: ++Power Resistance

#3: ++Range

#4: ++Endurance Discount

Warrant’s Arrest” (Hold, Brute PIRATE):

Image: Warrant smirking while holding up some handcuffs

- Accuracy/Hold

- Damage/Recharge

- Damage/Hold/Endurance/Recharge

- Hold/Chance for Regeneration Drain (i.e. target's regeneration rate is debuffed, your own is commensurately increased)

Set Bonuses:

#2: ++Health

#3: +Movement

#4: +++Thermal Defense

Crosscut’s Joie De Morte” (Endurance Modification, Stalker PIRATE):

Image: Crosscut's mask, twisted into resembling a horrible, oversized grin

- Endurance Modification/Damage

- Endurance Modification/Accuracy/Endurance

- Endurance Modification/Accuracy/Damage/Recharge

- Damage/Endurance Modification/Global Endurance Discount (grants static discount to all endurance costs - 2%/3% Catalyzed?)

Set Bonuses:

#2: +++Physical Resistance

#3: +Damage

#4: ++Recharge

Deadpan Sarcasm of Dr. Graves” (Threat, Mastermind PIRATE):

Image: Dr. Graves staring directly at the viewer, arms crossed

- Threat/Endurance/Range

- Threat/Accuracy/Recharge

- Accuracy/Endurance/Range/Recharge

- Threat/Chance for Negative Energy Damage

Set Bonuses:

#3: ++To-Hit/Defense Debuffs

#4: ++Life Defense

Mr Yin’s Untouchable Status” (Defense, Dominator PIRATE):

Image: Mr. Yin standing arms outstretched atop a YinCorp skyscraper

- Defense

- Defense/Recharge

- Defense/Endurance

- Defense/Global Range Increase (grants static discount to ranges of ranged powers - 5%/10% Catalyzed?)

Set Bonuses:

#2: +Life Resistance

#3: +++Physical Resistance

#4: ++Accuracy

Omnicore’s Mania” (Resist Damage, Corrupter PIRATE):

Image: Omnicore with a slightly bloody lip and determined expression

- Resistance/Recharge

- Resistance/Endurance

- Resistance/Endurance/Recharge

- Resistance/Mez Resistance (grants static global mez protection - 1.0/1.5 Catalyzed?)

Set Bonuses:

#2: +Accuracy

#3: +Life Resistance

#4: ++++Recovery

Fusionette’s Penchant For Peril” (Immobilize, Sentinel PIRATE):

Image: Fusionette trying to climb out of a cave

- Accuracy/Immobilize

- Accuracy/Damage/Immobilize

- Damage/Endurance/Recharge/Immobilize

- Immobilize/Chance for Resistance Debuff

Set Bonuses:

#2: +Power Resistance

#3: +++Movement

#4: ++Damage

Arbiter Sand’s Ennui” (To-Hit Debuff, Arachnos PIRATE):

Image: Arbiter Sands with a small frown on his face and a cup of coffee in his hand

- To-Hit Debuff

- To-Hit Debuff/Accuracy/Endurance

- Damage/Endurance/Recharge

- To-Hit Debuff/Negative Energy Resistance (grants static boost to Negative Energy Resistance - 6%/9% Catalyzed?)

Set Bonuses:

#2: +Health

#3: +Endurance Drain Resistance

#4: ++++Life Resistance

Horus’s Glory” (To-Hit Buff, Kheldian PIRATE):

Image: Horus (Remember him???) floating in the air, arms and legs akimbo while radiating energy

- To-Hit Buff

- To-Hit Buff/Endurance/Recharge

- Endurance/Recharge/Endurance Modification/Defense (yes, this one also enhances things that are only found in some T-H Buff powers)

- To-Hit Buff/Resistance Debuff Aura (passive aura like is found in many Pet Damage sets, but this one is offensive and debuffs enemies within range - 2%/4% Catalyzed?)

Set Bonuses:

#2: +Movement

#3: ++Recovery

#4: +++Power Defense

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

...If you're not willing to risk your life or what you hold dear to accomplish your goal, then maybe you should re-think what you really want. Power, control, security; all of those are just fancy ways of saying that you're afraid, and you want to not be afraid anymore. People will do a lot to avoid fear, even become the monsters they're afraid of. - Crimson

The game lags because you touch yourself at night - @Zem

Even catalyzed purples cap out at 5% defense. So I have to at least oppose your proposed 7% ranged defense. As for the rest? I'm going to sit this one out.

Hrm. A lot of effort went into this, which makes me feel bad when I say this is probably not a great idea.

I imagine the goal here is to fit the whole set into a qualifying power. Reasonable enough on the surface, but since you're picking out sets based on what an archetype doesn't get on average, the powers that qualify are very limited.

1 hour ago, AspieAnarchy said:

Ricochet’s Vigor” (Healing, Blaster PIRATE):

Image: close-up of Ricochet with her pink helmet and maniacal grin

1. Healing/Recharge

2. Healing/Endurance

3. Healing/Endurance/Recharge

4. Healing/Ranged Defense (grants static bonus to ranged defense - 4%/7% Catalyzed?)

Set Bonuses:

#2: +Physical Defense

#3: ++Power Defense

#4: +++Accuracy

Let's start with this one, for instance. Blaster primary sets that can slot healing include:

• Dark Blast
  • Water Blast
  • That's it.

Every secondary a Blaster gets has a power that can slot healing/absorb. No problem, right?

...well, no, big problem. Preventative Medicine wants 6 slots for its +recharge bonus, and Panacea wants 5 slots for its +recharge bonus, and both of those have procs that are indispensable to staying alive and fighting.

This poor set is trying to complete with global recharge set bonuses and two procs that give a hefty boost to self-sustain. It doesn't have a prayer. The only way to make room for it is to take a pool power that can slot Healing/Absorb. There's a few options (Sorcery, Medicine), but they're still eating a pool choice as well as one of your powers as well as up to 4 of your slots.

Realistically, what happens here is that a Blaster five-slotting Panacea just adds an extra slot on Health, slots Healing/Ranged Defense, and calls it a day.

1 hour ago, AspieAnarchy said:

Metronome’s Volatile Presence” (PBAoE Damage, Controller PIRATE):

Image: Metronome looming behind some fighting Praetorian Clockwork

- Accuracy/Recharge

- Damage/Endurance

- Damage

- Damage/Chance for Burnout (as Super-Speed; uncommon proc)

Set Bonuses:

#2: +Recharge

#3: +Control Duration

#4: ++++Life Defense

Which is still better than what you're dangling for poor Controller over here. Primary powers that can slot Melee AoE Damage:

• Darkness Control
  • Fire Control

Yeesh. Unlike Blaster, Controller has even worse options for secondaries that can slot this:

• Poison
  • Traps

And unlike Healing, Melee AoE Damage is a much harder pick for pool powers. You're limited to Cross Punch and Spring Attack. Ancillary/patron picks that get you a PBAoE would be Leviathan, Soul, Fire, and Psionic.

The only good news is there's no competition for other sets there. The bad news is that the most likely pick - Cross Punch - has about a 27% chance of triggering a 2 PPM proc. The worse news is the hilariously degenerate proc rate of Spring Attack - since its base recharge is 120 seconds, it has a 90% chance of triggering a 2 PPM proc.

You'd get a new meta, but it would be Spring Attack + Burnout to rapidly fire off 3 copies of the same mez. I'm not sure this is desirable. You also would just two-slot this because what the hell, 2 slots for +global recharge? Who cares about Toxic/Psi defense?

Skipping ahead a bit more since these things are surprisingly exhausting to research:

2 hours ago, AspieAnarchy said:

Deadpan Sarcasm of Dr. Graves” (Threat, Mastermind PIRATE):

Image: Dr. Graves staring directly at the viewer, arms crossed

- Threat/Endurance/Range

- Threat/Accuracy/Recharge

- Accuracy/Endurance/Range/Recharge

- Threat/Chance for Negative Energy Damage

Set Bonuses:

#3: ++To-Hit/Defense Debuffs

#4: ++Life Defense

Correct me if I'm wrong, but literally none of Mastermind's possible powers can even slot this. You are forced to take Presence to have something to slot, and even then - what are you trying to accomplish here? The set bonuses don't affect your pets, and you're not taking Provoke in Presence just to slot it for a 25% chance to do a little damage. This is a bad deal no matter how you slice it.

I could go on with the other sets, but I get the feeling the issues will be the same:

• You have to really go out of your way to slot these on your character. Most power sets literally can't slot the set that's locked to their AT.
  • The set bonuses aren't so critical that you MUST slot these things.

• Most of the time you just take the unique enhancement and call it a day.

• In most cases, having to single out a specific power pick makes your build notably weaker.

• The overall effect of most of these doesn't offset the opportunity cost in power picks just to be able to slot them.

• The "unique" enhancements sometimes double up in effect, making them significantly less appealing, e.g. negative energy on taunts, which already has Perfect Zinger, and -res on immobilize, when Achilles' Heel is easier to place.

• The double Burnout on Controllers is cracked as hell.

What really hurts is I don't think there's a way to fix this. A lot of these are fundamental to how you chose to go about this, and I can't really find myself agreeing with the core idea of "let's lock a bunch of power behind enhancement sets that the AT can't actually access in a meaningful way". New enhancements with new effects would be neat. New enhancements that can't even be used without picking some frankly bizarre choices in pool powers or ancillary powers is not quite as neat.

I hope you're not discouraged by this, though. I'd suggest looking at builds people use and seeing what they slot and why before revisiting enhancements. It helps a bunch to know the competition for new enhancements and what people may want in a build - especially with the stuff I highlighted.

• Like 1

Aspiring game designer and minotaur main.

Anyone can tear something down. The true talent is building it back up again, better than before.

My collection of powerset suggestions - open to comments and feedback!

10 hours ago, Rudra said:

Even catalyzed purples cap out at 5% defense. So I have to at least oppose your proposed 7% ranged defense. As for the rest? I'm going to sit this one out.

I did say I did not consider myself to be good at specific numbers; the idea was that since it's only one type of defense, it could afford to be a little better.

8 hours ago, CrusaderDroid said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but literally none of Mastermind's possible powers can even slot this. You are forced to take Presence to have something to slot, and even then - what are you trying to accomplish here?

Well, you've heard of "Tankerminds", surely? Since you ask, this was intended (yes, with the Presence Pool) to make that more doable.

This whole thing was not something I took as seriously as some other things; they were meant to be niche. However, I could revisit the idea to make them align more with things that the ATs are good at, but not best at (e.g. maybe immobilization for Blasters, healing for Controllers, etc - some, like "Omnicore's Mania", "Horus's Glory", and even "Dillo's Cosmic Defense" do already work well enough, I think).

...If you're not willing to risk your life or what you hold dear to accomplish your goal, then maybe you should re-think what you really want. Power, control, security; all of those are just fancy ways of saying that you're afraid, and you want to not be afraid anymore. People will do a lot to avoid fear, even become the monsters they're afraid of. - Crimson

The game lags because you touch yourself at night - @Zem

16 hours ago, AspieAnarchy said:

Most importantly, despite being Archetype-Exclusive, they can be slotted into any appropriate power - including Ancillary/Patron/Pool powers a character of the correct Archetype may take.

This might be possible for Epic/Patron powers but it isn't possible for Pool powers. If a power is available to multiple ATs, you can't restrict allowable enhancements to specific ATs.

16 hours ago, AspieAnarchy said:

Grym’s Otherworldly Glamour” (Confuse, Scrapper PIRATE):

There is literally 1 power in the game this could be slotted in.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

2 hours ago, Uun said:

This might be possible for Epic/Patron powers but it isn't possible for Pool powers. If a power is available to multiple ATs, you can't restrict allowable enhancements to specific ATs.

No, it's totally possible. Archetype enhancements include a check for a character's archetype in order to slot them, and if you somehow give yourself another AT's powers with dev commands or something, you still can't slot another AT's ATOs in those powers.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Vanden said:

No, it's totally possible. Archetype enhancements include a check for a character's archetype in order to slot them, and if you somehow give yourself another AT's powers with dev commands or something, you still can't slot another AT's ATOs in those powers.

Are there any Pool powers that accept ATOs?

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

7 hours ago, Vanden said:

That's because the same power for multiple ATs are actually different powers in the code. For instance Blaster Ice Bolt, Corruptor Ice Bolt, Defender Ice Bolt, and Dominator Ice Bolt are all separate powers. However Arcane Bolt from Sorcery is the same power in the code regardless of the AT it is taken on. That means that Blaster Ice Bolt can be set to take Blaster ATOs but not Corruptor ATOs, etc. I'm not sure if the equivalent can be done with Arcane Bolt.

From Champion (Hero) and Infinity (Villain), currently playing on Everlasting.

Former member of the Hammers of Justice on Champion.

Raid leader for 'Everlasting TFs'.

Mains: Trickery Girl (Ill/Rad Controller), Burk (Sword/Shield Stalker), and 6 other complete badge characters.

20 hours ago, Uun said:

There is literally 1 power in the game this could be slotted in.

Two: Boggle (Psi Melee) and Blinding Powder (Ninjitsu).  Still terribly limited however and neither of those powers are common picks.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.