Thinking of trying my first corruptor

Rerun

Just thought I'd ask all of you who regularly play a Corruptor, because I never really tried one. I think I made one back on live, but got her to like lvl 8 and forgot about her. I think I can remember thinking she was a bit too fragile, and the Scourge ability took too long to even kick in, so might as well just be a MM because at least they have pets.

BUT, if I were to try one again, (and why the heck not?) on Homecoming, I would have just two primary areas of concern...

1. Which build / powersets to make the most of Scourge? I mean, I would want to milk it for all it's worth.

2. Has to be able to solo PvE.

I dunno lol. Tell me what you guys would do, first corruptor attempt on homecoming, must solo PvE, and fully make use of scourge?

1. Which build / powersets to make the most of Scourge? I mean, I would want to milk it for all it's worth.

Fire Blast or Ice Blast. Pseudo Pet DoT powers (such as Rain of Fire and Ice Storm) are very powerful with Scourge since the roll to scourge on each tick rather than being all or nothing.

2. Has to be able to solo PvE.

There are plenty of secondary sets that solo well. Time and Dark are probably the best since they mature relatively quickly. Traps is decent but it's a late bloomer. Kinetics and Radiation are also decent options for solo play but I'm less fond of them while solo.

Defender Smash!

My only 50 so far under Homecoming is a Beam Rifle/Rad, so I'll tell you a bit about my experience in hopes it helps you out.  Note I'm no big number cruncher, so some may may find my choices wildly nutzo for playing anything "but the best."

I like the Beam Rifle a lot, it's just plain fun for me, I like the concept.  The disintegrate function makes you feel like a God Amongst Mortals when it lands and spreads, as any good AoE should.  I find this pairs well with a Corr as a double-function Scourge; the chance for Scourge kicks in when a foe's HP gets to 50% and below, and goes up the further down they are, so you really cut short their life of taking potshots at you, and adding more damage to that just rushes that a bit more.

Rad has good debuffs for slapping on foes and I've had good luck on teams fighting AVs with mine.  The heal is nice and I have more than once been the defacto healer (so much so that I've also taken Heal Other from the Medicine Pool).

The biggest drawback I've seen for both of these power-sets is the timing it takes to set up the affects with the Rad debuffs and the Disintegrate.  I usually team (come to think of it, I don't think I've soloed with her yet) and there have been times the teams has been rolling too quickly and spreading the damage all around for me to set up all the buffs or to get the disintegrate going before my chosen target has already died.  It's a terrible curse to have a team doing so well, I tell you...

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

To the OP:

For secondaries, /Dark or /Time.  These are going to be your best bets if you want to do some soloing.  I think /Kinetics is extremely fun, but it's more of a team-oriented set.  Personally I think traps is decent, but I have to acknowledge that /Dark and /Time are better performers. 

For primaries, Fire for AoE, Ice for Control, Sonic for minus resistance, or Water for AoE and some knockdown with Water Burst.

Formerly Negative_Man on the CoH forums (I'm more positive nowadays)

"I don't want it to appear that I'm willing to settle for anything. No-one likes a zombie without standards." -UnknownSubject

Fire/time gets my vote for what you want. The combination of healing with times juncture, distortion field, and farsight make you very tanky while solo. And farsight is only 28, before that times juncture should keep you safe enough. Distortion field also really let's you make great use of the rain powers because they cant run away.