🦇 Batman: Caped Crusader 🦇

Batman: Caped Crusader Season 1 -

Welcome to Gotham City, where the corrupt outnumber the good, criminals run rampant and law-abiding citizens live in a constant state of fear. Forged in the fire of tragedy, wealthy socialite Bruce Wayne becomes something both more and less than human—the BATMAN. His one-man crusade attracts unexpected allies within the GCPD and City Hall, but his heroic actions spawn deadly, unforeseen ramifications.

Starring Hamish Linklater as Batman/Bruce Wayne, and featuring a star-studded ensemble cast including: Christina Ricci, Jamie Chung,  Diedrich Bader, Minnie Driver, Mckenna Grace, Eric Morgan Stuart, Michelle C. Bonilla, Krystal Joy Brown, John DiMaggio, Paul Scheer, Reid Scott, Tom Kenny, Jason Watkins, Gary Anthony Williams, Dan Donohue, David Krumholtz, Haley Joel Osment and Toby Stephens.  

From the minds of executive producers J.J. Abrams, Matt Reeves, and Bruce Timm, season one of Batman: Caped Crusader arrives August 1 to Prime Video.

• Thanks 1

The trailer looks pretty damn good. I'm a little disappointed that they chose Amazon for this though. Is DC struggling for a home or is Amazon struggling for good material?

• Like 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

On 6/27/2024 at 7:48 AM, Frostbiter said:

Is DC struggling for a home or is Amazon struggling for good material?

After learning of their bastardized Lord of the Rings attempt, I'd say the latter.  I realize this might not be a popular opinion.

When I first learned of this new Batman series, I was tempted to roll my eyes at yet another Batman story.  At this rate DC will burn through the multiverse of Batman possibilities. But then I saw three things that changed my mind:

1. The costume and setting tell me this is going back to the original 1930s Detective Comics (okay, well maybe not that brief time where Batman carried a gun).

2. The animation is very much an homage not only to that time period but also the iconic Batman: The Animated Series from the 1990s.

3. The show is not 100% stuck in real-world 1930s.  While it appears Batman is using a glass "blackboard" for mapping out criminal activity, rather than a computer (a bit cutting edge, but still 1930s), it shows things like black female police officers.  The overall effect is just like the also iconic 1989 movie: blending of different times creates an Elseworld effect where anything is possible.

I'm intrigued to see this now.

The voice cast has several famous names associated with it, including, mentioned via 3rd party sources, one that isn't on the IMDB listing:  Toby Stephens.  Though I've only seen a limited amount of his acting, I really enjoy it.  Wondering whom he is voicing?  Alfred?  Penguin? ....Joker?  Actually, in regards to that last one, the roster has John Dimaggio without a character name next to his.  John had a very different, but fascinating performance as Joker in Under The Red Hood.  I was sorry it was only a one-shot outing.  Perhaps the producers liked it as well?

Edited by Techwright
formatting corrections.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Frostbiter said:

The trailer looks pretty damn good. I'm a little disappointed that they chose Amazon for this though. Is DC struggling for a home or is Amazon struggling for good material?

The former.  Warner Bros. decided that they could make more money by selling the series to Amazon than to air it themselves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Frostbiter said:

That's exactly what I thought too. Don't they have HBO (formerly Max) streaming as an option?

Edit: Just read Lunar's post - that's actually kind of strange from an outside perspective, but it's probably normal from within the industry.

Edited by Glacier Peak

1 hour ago, Techwright said:

After learning of their bastardized Lord of the Rings attempt, I'd say the latter.  I realize this might not be a popular opinion.

When I first learned of this new Batman series, I was tempted to roll my eyes at yet another Batman story.  At this rate DC will burn through the multiverse of Batman possibilities. But then I saw three things that changed my mind:

1. The costume and setting tell me this is going back to the original 1930s Detective Comics (okay, well maybe not that brief time where Batman carried a gun).

2. The animation is very much an homage not only to that time period but also the iconic Batman: The Animated Series from the 1990s.

3. The show is not 100% stuck in real-world 1930s.  While it appears Batman is using a glass "blackboard" for mapping out criminal activity, rather than a computer (a bit cutting edge, but still 1930s), it shows things like black female police officers.  The overall effect is just like the also iconic 1989 movie: blending of different times creates an Elseworld effect where anything is possible.

I'm intrigued to see this now.

The voice cast has several famous names associated with it, including, through 3rd party sources, one that isn't on the IMDB listing:  Toby Stephens.  Though I've only seen a limited amount of his acting, I really enjoy it.  Wondering whom he is voicing?  Alfred?  Penguin? ....Joker?  Actually, in regards to that last one, the roster has John Dimaggio without a character name next to his.  John had a very different, but fascinating performance as Joker in Under The Red Hood.  I was sorry it was only a one-shot outing.  Perhaps the producers liked it as well?

All superb points - I had similar reservations and then pleasant reactions from the trailer. The animated style of the series, (like Timm's previous Batman the Animated Series but in 4k!), is what has me excited. The voice acting - well nobody can replace Conroy, Hamill, Sorkin, the list goes on - but I can appreciate a new take on the characters.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

That's exactly what I thought too. Don't they have HBO (formerly Max) streaming as an option?

Edit: Just read Lunar's post - that's actually kind of strange from an outside perspective, but it's probably normal from within the industry.

First it was DC Online, then it was HBO Max. Now it's just Max. DC Online split off from the comic subscriptions service. It's had a rough existence.

• Like 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

On 6/27/2024 at 10:10 AM, Glacier Peak said:

The voice acting - well nobody can replace Conroy, Hamill, Sorkin, the list goes on - but I can appreciate a new take on the characters.

As wonderful as they were, it is time to move on.  Of the three you named, only one still lives. Several of the rest of the voice cast are deceased as well. 

That is, unless at some point contracts are being signed with the living and the estates for Respeecher performances by other actors, but even then, it won't be for this show.

I hadn't heard anything about this. Thanks for sharing. Even before his name turned up in the credits, Timm's influence was obvious. That's not a guarantee, of course, but stealing from the right inspirations is always a hopeful sign.

• Thumbs Up 1

Max/WB/Discovery needed to make money, so they've been selling off shows and movies to other streaming services 😕  Batman: Under the Red Hood for instance isn't on Max anymore.

Hope Bruce Timm doesn't self insert Batman and Batgirl again.

• Like 1

Prime Video is already the place to go if you want to watch the old Batman Animated Series. (Kinda odd, seeing as other series of the DCAU, like Superman and Justice League, are on Max as you’d expect.)

Anyways, this series looks like it’ll be interesting… and seeing as Prime’s big money makers are Invincible and The Boys, I can’t help but chuckle at their superhero streak seemingly continuing.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/27/2024 at 1:26 PM, Techwright said:

It gives me a slight feel of The Shadow movie in terms of setting: yes, you've got the Art Deco design and classic 20s/30s/Metropolis architecture from Bruce Timm's era, but also televisions, tasers, and other modern technology... and then magic and ghosts.

I have a feeling Matt Reeves was tripping out to get to work with Bruce Timm - there's someone who spent their Saturday mornings in front of Batman:TAS if ever there was one - but brings that slightly more downbeat attitude to the Bat himself from his movie. 

That also applies itself to the voicework: no-one, but no-one, is replacing Kevin (and Hamill won't do the Joker without him).  But the softer, less strident tones that Hamish has come up with mesh pretty well with Pattinson's Bat. Certified Goth Icon™ Christina Ricci gets another fine cred to her name and should do a fine job as the Cat - but I'm curious as to what Minnie Driver is up to. She's done a lot of v/o work lately, and always like it.

And if there's a big, possibly-rabid-"fan"-alienating swing here, it's the reinvention of Harley - moving away from the Sorkin/Strong/Cuoco/Robbie incarnation to something new, apparently more polished, and mysterious. Given that Timm is one of her co-creators, it's entirely up to him to kill (or mutate) one of his most lucrative darlings. Given we've not seen the Joker in play in this trailer, I'm wondering if they've merged the two characters, making Harley a proper Big Bad in her own right?

On 6/27/2024 at 12:48 PM, Frostbiter said:

Is DC struggling for a home or is Amazon struggling for good material?

It's a little more complicated than that, and goes back to... sigh... David Bloody Zaslav.

The series was announced and production started in early 2022. When WBD started redlining a whole bunch of productions and services in Q3 2022 because of their massive debt pileCaped Crusader was lucky enough to get shopped around for another producer/distributor rather than just straight Batgirl'd out of existence. Amazon took over the production after that.

Oddly enough, it's not long after that Crisis Of Infinite Idiot Managers that Safran and Gunn are appointed as the new heads of DC Films.

And one the first things out of the blocks is a new suite of DC animation, like Creature Commandos, and... Kite-Man?

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver
  • Like 1

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

31 minutes ago, TTRPGWhiz said:

(and if you haven't, what the heck are you waiting for).

UK distro.

I've seen clips, but we're currently deprived of the whole show.

• Sad 1

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

2 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

UK distro.

I've seen clips, but we're currently deprived of the whole show.

You folks can't access it through Amazon Prime or Apple TV?

That show is my favorite comics-related piece of media ever; I'd pay a buck an ear to get it.

It's on Amazon UK, at £2($2.50) an episode or £10($12.60) for the season. Much as I love my cape-related antics, I have plenty of other stuff I don't have time to watch that's free - including Batman: TAS, and Caped Crusader when it comes out.

• 4 weeks later

Well, I've watched the first episode. It was kind of jarring - with the biggest names attached as Producers for this animated series, I set my expectations high. Especially since Bruce Timm was onboard. Having been Batman: The Animated Series (BTAS) fan since childhood, I was the target audience for this show.

With spoilers, here's what I thought:

Spoiler

The very first scene of the first episode, it was a call back to the early Batman years. He was using normal tools, not fancy high-tech weapons. It felt like they wanted to give the series a sense of realism, much like the recent "The Batman" film, which was directed by Matt Revees, who is also a Producer on this show. After my nostalgia wore off, I started to notice the animation was just... off. In some scenes, Harvey Dent was skinny, in others, he would turn and he'd gain 100 lbs. Characters were drawn in a way that felt like they were aiming to either replicate or pay homage to BTAS, but missed the mark in the sense that the animators(?) made characters movement jarring. Too much computer animation, not enough pencil and ink!!

I loved the set backgrounds and the music was okay. The intro for the show is pretty decent.

I was hoping the voice actors for the series were going to be the biggest success. Batman's voice actor was fine, no sense in trying to compare him to the legendary Kevin Conroy. Hamish Linklater does a good job at the Batman voice, but his Bruce Wayne is pretty weak and left me hoping for better as he gets used to the role. I enjoyed Minnie Driver's Penguin voice acting! The secondary character actors - Alfred Pennyworth, Barbara Gordon, Detective Jim Gordon, Harvey Dent - these characters voice actors did not meet my expectation in the first episode, perhaps as the series progresses I will learn to appreciate them - hoping especially with Alfred Pennyworth's voice actor, who had highs and lows in the first episode for voice acting, in my opinion. 

Lastly - to my main point, the first episode felt jarring mainly due to the character changes. First was Alfred Pennyworth, who is now an overweight, black-haired (meaning no longer the wise old ally of Bruce/Batman), and some what Watsonian (the bumbling oof of modernity meant to convey exposition to the audience or be the butt of a joke, not the excellent compatriot of Conan Doyle era). Penguin is female, which I don't have any problems with - but they made her to be taller than Batman! The character named after the short aquatic animal is now huge! 

1 hour ago, Glacier Peak said:

Well, I've watched the first episode. It was kind of jarring - with the biggest names attached as Producers for this animated series, I set my expectations high. Especially since Bruce Timm was onboard. Having been Batman: The Animated Series (BTAS) fan since childhood, I was the target audience for this show.

With spoilers, here's what I thought:

Hide contents

The very first scene of the first episode, it was a call back to the early Batman years. He was using normal tools, not fancy high-tech weapons. It felt like they wanted to give the series a sense of realism, much like the recent "The Batman" film, which was directed by Matt Revees, who is also a Producer on this show. After my nostalgia wore off, I started to notice the animation was just... off. In some scenes, Harvey Dent was skinny, in others, he would turn and he'd gain 100 lbs. Characters were drawn in a way that felt like they were aiming to either replicate or pay homage to BTAS, but missed the mark in the sense that the animators(?) made characters movement jarring. Too much computer animation, not enough pencil and ink!!

I loved the set backgrounds and the music was okay. The intro for the show is pretty decent.

I was hoping the voice actors for the series were going to be the biggest success. Batman's voice actor was fine, no sense in trying to compare him to the legendary Kevin Conroy. Hamish Linklater does a good job at the Batman voice, but his Bruce Wayne is pretty weak and left me hoping for better as he gets used to the role. I enjoyed Minnie Driver's Penguin voice acting! The secondary character actors - Alfred Pennyworth, Barbara Gordon, Detective Jim Gordon, Harvey Dent - these characters voice actors did not meet my expectation in the first episode, perhaps as the series progresses I will learn to appreciate them - hoping especially with Alfred Pennyworth's voice actor, who had highs and lows in the first episode for voice acting, in my opinion. 

Lastly - to my main point, the first episode felt jarring mainly due to the character changes. First was Alfred Pennyworth, who is now an overweight, black-haired (meaning no longer the wise old ally of Bruce/Batman), and some what Watsonian (the bumbling oof of modernity meant to convey exposition to the audience or be the butt of a joke, not the excellent compatriot of Conan Doyle era). Penguin is female, which I don't have any problems with - but they made her to be taller than Batman! The character named after the short aquatic animal is now huge! 

I've just finished the first episode and pretty much agree with everything said.  I don't think I'll spoil anything to say that Hamish Linklater sound a lot like Kevin Conroy, but the performance was a bit understated.  I think "lackluster" is probably harsh, but lacking a better word, then lackluster it is. 

Character visual appearance won't be much of a secret so I'll say I don't like Alfred Pennyworth being the proportions of the classic Penguin.  Alfred is ex-special forces, for crying out loud, and while that doesn't guarantee a trim figure, it certainly should make it more likely.    Other characters' changes didn't feel organic to me.  I'm not opposed to different takes on a character, after all DC has a multiverse, where eventually most everything can happen, but I just don't feel those changes connected to me, the viewer.

This brings me to my next point which is JJ Abrams.  Until I saw the titles, I didn't know he was attached to the program.  Why franchises continue to hand over their babies to this man after he wrecked both Star Trek and Star Wars eludes me.  Had I a property beloved by the world, his name would be the second to last on my list of collaborators, with Rian Johnson first.  (Otto Preminger would be third were he still alive, but that's more to do with him being a royal pain below the utility belt, rather than turning out any inferior product.)  Abrams involvement has me concerned for the series.  Lest you think I completely despise the man, I will say I liked Fringe.  It feels like when he does his own original stuff he's fine, great even, but touching others' toys he breaks them.

Now some non-spoiler positive things before I get to spoilers:

1) I liked the overall design.  Enough of a reference to the legendary Batman: The Animated Series, without losing it's own self.

2) I liked the titles.  While it lacks the impact that B:TAS's opening had, it still has a great look and reasonable score.

3) I liked the quirkiness of of a world combining a low-tech 1930s map board with a high-tech Batmobile.  It will be interesting going forward to see this juxtaposition, to see if it holds up, and to see what technologies remain rooted in real-life 1930s and which are closer to the 2020s.

Spoiler Talk:

Spoiler

1. I'm not fond of this Harvey Dent, and that's saying something because Dent was one of my favorites from the Rogues Gallery.  He's always been appealing because his legal life was so upright, the polar opposite of his villain's existence.  But this Harvey is oily and smarmy and seriously lacking in class.  I'm not seeing the redeemable qualities that always kept you rooting for Harvey Dent to overcome his villainous side, if only for a while.

2. I'm not fond of this Penguin either.  I can't really say why.  It is not the gender change.  Just a feeling that this one is inferior to what's been in animation before.  That said (and with only having seen the first episode), if it were revealed at some point that son Ronald eventually emboldened, then unseated Momma Oswalda and take the mantle of the Penguin, possible using a middle name of Oswald, then I could see the use of this character.

3.  Is Bullock tied to the mob in the comics?  My only knowledge of him is from B:TAS, and there, though he was a slob and jerk, he was on the right side of the law.

4. I agree with @Glacier Peakthat the animation feels a bit off, most especially in regards to the proportions of characters.

5. So this Penguin's mortal enemy, whom she just tried to kill merely glances in the direction of her favorite son and she ices him?  Where is the cunning in that?  Penguin should be known for it.

Overall, I'll give this opening episode a 3 of 5 s.  While it wasn't horrible, this isn't the episode I'd choose to reel fans in to a new series.  I will, however, give benefit of the doubt and continue on.  Perhaps the series shall improve.

• Microphone 1

I see what you mean about the animation style. It looks... less refined than classic TAS, a little bit like 2000s-era Flash animation, though I think it's supposed to be modelled after early comic books: some of the villain faces resemble Dick Tracy more than Batman. I'm much more a fan of the backdrops and buildings that are styled after 20s/30s travel posters and such.

• Like 1

Just now, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

I see what you mean about the animation style. It looks... less refined than classic TAS, a little bit like 2000s-era Flash animation, though I think it's supposed to be modelled after early comic books: some of the villain faces resemble Dick Tracy more than Batman. I'm much more a fan of the backdrops and buildings that are styled after 20s/30s travel posters and such.

The building animation style I believe is unique to the B:TAS - I haven't seen it anywhere else outside of Bruce Timm' series. Seeing it resurrected, so to speak, was a delight. 

Some more spoilery thoughts on Ep1:

Spoiler
  • Mama Morton Penguin? It's an interesting choice, but... feels forced for the sake of novelty, and she needs to have a whole new backstory pencilled in. Didn't spot Minnie Driver there voicing her, which is fun. But needed a bit more power and push and edge behind the vocal performance, especially if you're bringing that big brassy voice for a big girl... and I know Minnie has the pipes for that. Director's fault.
  • Harvey: half the point of Mr. Dent in previous incarnations is that before his little accident, he was a likeable, upstanding DA in one of the most corrupt cities on Earth.  That's what makes his fall from grace a tragedy. Making him a walking HR violation with a side order of malpractice? Not a fan.
  • I like that Penguin still got to take the shot. I think one of the differences with the new Bat, possibly because of Matt Reeves' involvement, is that he's fallible. There will be mistakes. Sure, everyone got out, but that's a big ol' red MISSION FAILED on your screen there, Bruce. No merits for you.
  • Speaking of which, I'm aware Bruce is the thin shell that holds The Bat, but no amount of money can sweeten that much dorkoid and maintain their attractive playboy image. You're overplaying it, kid.
  • Alfred: noted Brit character actor Jason Watkins, more normally used to playing bank managers, worn-out/troubled/diligent coppers and/or Winston Churchill (oddly enough in Rogue Heroes, about the founding of SAS). That's a tiny amount of screen time to judge him on, and although he is pudgy for an ex-Special, he at least seems to be keeping up with Master Bruce in terms of following what's going on in Gotham. Let's see how that shapes up over more episodes.
  • Barbara: bit anodyne so far. She's going to be a major so I hope she gets some development.
  • The Nod: that's going to be a meme. Also, I like that Bats didn't even bother to get out of the car once the goons got pinballed. He didn't need to push the point. He knows she's got it from here.

All in all... it's not quite the kickoff episode you'd want, but not without its merits. 

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver
  • Thumbs Up 2

Oh boy... 

EDIT: WARNING: The man is reviewing an entire season that was binge watched - NOT single episodes. So there are SPOILERS per episode in the following video. 

Yeah - I think I'll be giving this one a pass. A HARD pass.

Edited by Dynamo-Joe

14 minutes ago, Dynamo-Joe said:

Oh boy... 

Yeah - I think I'll be giving this one a pass. A HARD pass.

That really needs a big spoiler warning.    I'm already through the end of episode 4 and this video was giving me major spoilers less than 2 minutes in.

Okay, so I as I said, I've now finished episode 4.  Had they led with any of the last 3,  it would have been better than the episode they chose to be the premier.  Episode 4 was smartly written and does a good job of showing how the corruption within this Gotham is working.

Episode 2 thoughts:

Spoiler

I like that they go to Basil Korso instead of Matt Hagan for their Clayface.  This actually allowed them to do something different than in Batman: The Animated Series.  Hagan's Clayface in B:TAS was a nightmarish juggernaut able to form just about anything, including axes and maces, and pulling off parts of himself that could function independently as creatures of their own.  Korso, on the other hand is portrayed (so far) as only being pliable.  He can change appearance and have a smushed face when punched, but can still be handcuffed, and doesn't make weapons (at least, not yet.) In other words, he's more limited, and the writers work with that.

Episode 3 thoughts:

Spoiler

As a viewer, I'm not really connecting yet with this Catwoman.  Other versions have some redeeming qualities that one roots for.  This one is a spoiled brat.  Even her adoption of every stray cat she finds is not really admirable: she's not even thinking of their food budget needs, instead putting all her ill-gotten gains into an over-the-top ridiculous custom car (which should leave a HUGE paper trail of receipts to follow).  I'm also not a fan of the costume.  Yes, I realize that it is an homage to the earlier comics looks, but the shoes and skirt are entirely impractical for the work she does.  This does not really look like a Catwoman who can fight.  I'd have preferred something that gave a nod to the ladies styles of 1938, but with an adventuress' outfit for practicality.

That's a lot of negativity, but I actually did like much of the episode.

Episode 4 thoughts:

Spoiler

THIS is the episode that should have led the series.  It's smartly written for the most part.  The one beef I have with it is that Gordon has twice dropped the ball when dealing with rogue cops Flass and Bullock;  

1) He's already known for some time that they're trouble.  That should have resulted in a suspension at least, and more likely a termination before the episode's story ever began.  If he's really trying to change things, as he claims in the episode, he needs to take a stand in his own house first. 

2) the moment he's informed that Flass and Bullock took a prisoner without his permission, he should have issued an APB for their detention, rather than giving them the slack they needed to manipulate the situation.

I like that they gave this Firebug a limited look in practical keeping with 1938.  He's not the flashy Firebug of B:TAS with wings and the power of fueled flight.  He's just a pyro with an asbestos suit and a limited propellant tank, but still manages to do great harm.   I like that they took the time to look through his eyes at a situation: fascinating but very disturbing. 

I like that they found a way to organically bring Harley into the inner workings of the police department.  I'm sure this will have repercussions later, but for now, it makes sense.

Still not liking this version of Harvey Dent but at least he's used well here as a politically scheming counterpoint to a politically scheming mayor abusing the police department as an extension of his PR campaign.

I like the mental dual between the police task force and Batman.  Until Bullock and Flass go off the playbook, it makes perfect sense how the task force operates.  It's just that their methodology is rigid by-the-book and therefore predictable.