Borderlands Movie — anyone in?

The only other game I play, and have played for a long time, is the Borderlands franchise. (It was a recommended substitute when CoX went into the black hole.)

I haven't bought an advance ticket or bothered with an opening weekend of something in many years, but my reserve seat, middle of the IMAX auditorium, 3pm showing on August 8, is purchased.

All I can say is "hoping for the best, will be satisfied with pretty good, won't shed a tear if it's a tanker."

And hope that one really disturbing line in the new trailer is... out of context.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

I'm a HUGE Borderlands fan also, but I've got a lot of trepidations about this film lol I'll say cautiously optimistic.

Unfortunately I'm not in a position where I can go see it (I have to choose this or Deadpool & Wolverine) but if things change I'll give this a go.

Are you looking for Ultramode style, candy coated enhancements and powers?

WELL YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!!

(they're also in the City Mod installer)

Never played the game, but the trailer looks pretty awesome.  And Kate Blanchett is pretty much an auto-watch for me.  The tone they're bringing gives me some Guardians of the Galaxy type vibes, and that's never a bad thing (assuming, of course, that they pull it off). 😁 

Just posted the new trailer on the other thread and... well, still not sure if this is one I'll wait for streaming on. But given I took a punt on the D&D movie and loved it... maybe?

(Oh, and I think if they do the Wonderlands movie next I'm definitely in)

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

• 2 weeks later
On 7/30/2024 at 6:18 AM, Triumphant said:

The tone they're bringing gives me some Guardians of the Galaxy type vibes, and that's never a bad thing (assuming, of course, that they pull it off). 😁 

I think that's one of the things going against it — too many in the general audience (not gamers or fans) are going to see it as some kind of turned-up-to-11 take on GotG, despite the whole Borderlands whoopie-cushion violence take being much older.

Oh, well, find out in another half day or so. First IMAX showing on Thursday.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

Well, the reviews are coming in. I'll wait for the audience scores.

But so far - other than the "unkillable charisma of Cate Blanchett"...

...oh dear Goddess, ouch.🤢

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/borderlands

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

Yes, I of course avoided any reviews but the headlines have been peppering the feed. So, having seen it in my own private IMAX showing (okay, there was one woman as well, a bit older than me, even) —

It's not going to win any Oscars. And I can see why "movie reviewers" had their hate aroused. But coming at it as a fan of the games, not bringing in any towering expectations, and letting it be what it was... game fans will find it worth seeing. It's balls-out violent the way the games are and the trailers weren't, although I don't think I saw a drop of actual blood. (Thankya PG-13.)

My real fear was that Kevin Hart was gross miscasting, but he did a competent job as the Roland we expect.

It feels a bit too tight, like 15 minutes of "smoothing and flow" were cut; there are some characters and cast in IMDb that don't show up. I'll put further comments in a mild spoiler frame; none of these will ruin the movie but if you're going to catch it in the cheap seats next week, you might want to avoid even these small reveals.

Spoiler

Scooter is cast, and we see a service truck with his name on it, but does not appear.

A character I am pretty sure is Ellie has a very brief cameo at the end.

There are no cameos of other game characters, Brick and Mordecai most notably.

Moxxi is... well-played by Gina Gershon, but is older and frowsier than I would have preferred. Probably more "accurate" and all, but.

And just so's you know, I killed 15 minutes of my life to let you know there is no credits scene other than a brief and immediate one. So unless you're turned on by a wall of Hungarian names, you can leave after the art credits.

Another semi-spoiler:

Spoiler

I really think they missed an opportunity, one of many such but this would be the one I'd vote: a brief, from-behind cameo of Handsome Jack, with a line like "What's this eridium shit?" But nope. And a sequel is vanishingly unlikely, so.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just gotta add that, while it's not an Oscar contender and could have had a much stronger story and plot line, I think most of the review/er/s are completely off-target. It's just not the movie they wanted/expected, so it's crap. Got it.

And, to be fair, GotG stole a lot of its thunder and Deadzine/Wolverpool is really bad competition to be up against.

5 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

Just gotta add that, while it's not an Oscar contender and could have had a much stronger story and plot line, I think most of the review/er/s are completely off-target. It's just not the movie they wanted/expected, so it's crap. Got it.

And, to be fair, GotG stole a lot of its thunder and Deadzine/Wolverpool is really bad competition to be up against.

I wasn't expecting anything and I have to say, I thought it was mid.  Action could've been better.  I don't know the game that well, as I didn't enjoy playing it when I tried it out, so I can't speak for how well it stuck to the game other than I hear Cate was on the old side for her character.

I felt the best way to describe it was "Wait for streaming" which also makes me wish we didn't have such early turn arounds as even this level of movie likely would've gotten a bigger audience before streaming, imo.

Edited by BrandX
  • Thanks 1

Haven’t got round to seeing it yet, and I suspect won’t until it turns up on streaming or an airline, when I’m sure it’ll go well with some popcorn. I just ain’t schlepping to a multiplex for it.

That said, having read a few of the reviews…

…I get the distinct feeling this script wasn’t the same one this cast or director signed up for, and it got exec-noted all to hell. Maybe there’ll be a Roth cut at some point.

And just so's you know, I killed 15 minutes of my life to let you know there is no credits scene other than a brief and immediate one. So unless you're turned on by a wall of Hungarian names, you can leave after the art credits.

Sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar. 😄👍

So basically, it's a decently fun action romp, but nothing spectacular, and I can wait until it's released for free on a streaming service.  Got it.  Thanks for the review. 🙂🙏

• 1 month later

borderlands-didnt-do-well-v0-1ehz3f1yuvod1.jpg

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

Yeah, it's not like anyone's gonna throw Jack Black into another poorly-written game adap to try and follow up Super Mar...i...oh.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

On 9/15/2024 at 3:14 PM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Yeah, it's not like anyone's gonna throw Jack Black into another poorly-written game adap to try and follow up Super Mar...i...oh.

The comments on this trailer did not disappoint.

• Haha 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper