Electric Affinity or... what?

Ultimo

So, I created a character.  Based somewhat on Brainiac, the idea is that he's an AI inhabiting his own body, but also the bodies of the robot pets.  I originally made him with Kinetics, as I'd never really used that set before.  However, I found it underwhelming, and that it didn't synergize well with the bots (Transfusion works at the location of the enemy, and bots are usually at a range, so don't get the heal).  So, I switched up.

The second version has Electric Affinity... but I'm finding myself very inimpressed with it.  Granted, I'm only just getting to L20, but I feel like I'm wasting my time.  The heal, while it's nice that I can aim it where I need it, is kind of weak costly and slow firing.  The debuff powers (Shock, Discharge) do almost NOTHING to enemy damage output, and there's no enhancing them.  I haven't reached the buffing powers yet, but I'm uncertain what to expect.  Does this set EVER get good?  It seems like the only decent power is Faraday Cage, and it's really ugly, and has to be moved around constantly.

What about Sonic Resonance?  It strikes me as being the Resistance version of Force Fields... but without the PFF.

I did consider Force Fields, but I already have a character with that combo.  He's a powerhouse, but I don't feel like making the same character twice.  I'd hoped for something a bit different.  I did think about Time, but it doesn't LOOK like a Brainiac powerset... if you take my meaning.  Not blasty enough.  Really, the only one that really looks the part is Electric Affinity.

Anyway, anyone have any thoughts?  Should I stick with Electric Affinity or try something else?

I think EA is pretty good.  Shock and Discharge lower enemy damage, end, recovery, and regen, so those are staples in my opinion. Your "buffing" powers will give absorb shields, +damage, and + to hit. My Demons/EA is one of the toughest MMs I have.

I would suspect that later on, the -Regen from your attacks and from Shock/Discharge will be a great asset. You can enhance the -End/Recovery in Shock/Discharge as well. I say stick with it.

As far as Sonic goes, I have a Ninja/Sonic, and it's pretty fun. You can get really good Resistance for your team and pets(don't forget the +Pet Resistance Uniques!). As much as everyone focuses an building for Defense on their toons, on a team it's nice to see a Sonic to "fill in the gaps". It also brings some really good -Resistance debuffs to the table. However, I'm not sure Sonic would fit your "theme"... maybe the Sonic vibrations are you brain waves manifested...dunno. It's a nice set,especially since you don't see it much.

EA is one of the best sets for doing harder content. It is on the busy side, but that's fine for a MM. I do think Sonic is a bit underrated, but I would likely only really do it as a Sonic/sonic Def so I can max out the Res/-Res.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Emma Strange: Ill/dark Controller. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Hesitation: Claws/sr Scrapper. 8. Within Reach: Axe/stone Brute. 9. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute.  10. Chasing Fireworks: Fire/time Controller. 

"Downtime is for mortals. Debt is temporary. Fame is forever."

EA is indeed strong. By strong I don’t mean big numbers. It’s strong in the following ways -

1. Group status protection. Not unique to EA, but it is very noteworthy to have.

2. Group absorb. Not just for you and pets, but teammates as well.

3. AoE healing. Not the strongest of heals, but it’s fairly cheap to use and very fast to reuse.

4. Pretty much infinite endurance for you, your pets, and your team. This alone makes EA welcome on many teams.

5. An AoE -10% damage, and a single target 20% damage DeBuff, and yes these can stack.

So EA is pretty much one of the best MM support secondaries. In my opinion it really begins to shine after incarnates, because usually people take status protection or endurance destiny, but you already have those. So you are free to pick barrier or-def protection, not something that many other builds can boast.

So if you are looking for big numbers, EA may disappoint. But my EA MMs have outlived some tanks before, due to everything mentioned above and bodyguard mode.

An EA MM has multiple layers of survival-

+RES

Heals

Absorb

Bodyguard mode

Status protection

End to spare

These combined all in one neat little package is not something everyone can boast. And can be pushed even more, depending on your primary.

EA powers are fairly fast to recharge, which some believe makes it a busy set. It “can” be, but doesn’t have to be. If your shield is up, no one needs healed, and End is good, you don’t “have “ to use a power. Sometimes I’ve found myself using non-EA abilities often.

EA is a survival and support focused set. Not everyone likes that style, and that’s okay. But in terms of durability, EA is one of the best secondaries.

• Like 2

Electric Affinity is largely considered made for MM's and performs very well on them, but yes, it takes time and building it to get it there, as well as learning how to maximize your stacks by staying in your electric dome and getting the most out of your chains. It's also knowing that just because a power is available, it doesn't mean you have to click it. Lots of people call this set busy, and it can be, but if you have a solid team, you don't have to be constantly pushing those buttons until they're needed.

(I see Neiska beat me to some of this. 🙂 )

I, personally, like Sonic, but I think that's partly because it's a bit underrated, and it's an older set that could use a smidge of attention. It has no heal, so it works well with henchmen that have their own heal (unless you don't care about resummoning). You're obviously not going to have defender levels of -res going around, but every little bit helps.

But I tend to be a concept player; I like to play things that fit my concept for a character. I'm not into hard modes or anything like that, so I'm not looking to min/max all my characters. For casual play, whichever fits your concept best should be fine. But don't underestimate ElecAff; it is a fantastic set, even on MMs.

• Haha 1

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

13 hours ago, Ultimo said:

Does this set EVER get good? 

Yes. Electric is great if you play to its strengths.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

I have both Bots/ and Demon/EA’s, and now both Bots/ and Demon/Marine.  They are both great secondaries for harmonizing with MM’s pets.  

I will say that although it’s a bit FOTM, I find /Marine to be especially tuned towards benefitting MM’s.  At first, I felt it favored melee-centric MM’s more than ranged pets, but since building and leveling Bots/ Mercs/ Demon/ and Ninja/ (still have a Thugs/Marine out there I’m not sure I’ll finish) I find it plays exceedingly well with both types of pets, you just have slightly different playstyles.

Not sure it fits your Brainiac theme though…..but then again, Aquaman had telepathic comms with undersea life, so hey…maybe?

Also a big shout out to /Time.  My first MM was a Bots/Time back on Live, and I remade her on Homecoming as well.  Bio was that she was a help desk engineer, and she’d use time travel as a means of moving forward in the timestream to figure out how to solve problems, then travel back to fix them in the present.  But a glitch happened and she and her repair bots were now trapped in our timeline.  So with a little imagination, you can make pretty much any powerset fit your theme.  

Here’s a 1023-character approved bio for a Bots/Time mastermind:

”Dr. Victor Hart was a brilliant scientist whose quest for ultimate knowledge led him to create the NeuroSync System, a groundbreaking cybernetic link that connected him with six advanced robots. Each robot, uniquely designed, amplified his cognitive abilities, allowing him to control complex systems and manipulate technology with ease. Victor’s experiments with temporal physics granted him the power to control time, enabling him to foresee crimes, reverse disastrous events, and outmaneuver any adversary. Now, as the enigmatic hero ChronoMind, he uses his combined mental prowess and time-bending abilities to protect humanity from threats, unraveling the darkest of crimes with precision and intellect.”

ChatGPT can be super fun for trying to create themed backstories.  

• Thumbs Up 2

35 minutes ago, Ultimo said:

Ok, some good feedback, I suppose I'll stick with it, and see how it goes.

I do have two Masterminds using the set, too... one is Bots, the other Demons.

Thanks for the input!

Both Bots and Demons will be good. Demons/EA will be more durable, but Robots has more tactical options, IMO. Group fly and such. But a Demons/EA is one of the toughest MMs you can have, and honestly one of the toughest ATs you can make as far as staying power goes.

EA shines with an expensive build and perma or close to perma hasten. 

Also a fair amount of end reduction. 

Also very specifically putting a chance to heal proc in the endurance restore power. 

With these three things EA toons in general are strong and EA toons with resistance like mercs and demons become close to unkillable. My demons and mercs /ea toons can both survive in fire farms as long as I dont aggro more than 2 full groups onto myself at once. Just huddle up inside the cage spamming heal and absorb over and over and over again and also have good recharge on serum so its almost always up and my mercs/ea can weather just about any storm this game throws at it. 

Its a set that blooms kinda late with the absorb and also with sets and bonuses and alot of recharge with enough end reduction/recovery to cover spamming your powers. Sustainability is not hard to hit where you can just spam your heal and absorb every time they're up and never run out of end and never die. 

3 hours ago, Neiska said:

Both Bots and Demons will be good. Demons/EA will be more durable, but Robots has more tactical options, IMO. Group fly and such. But a Demons/EA is one of the toughest MMs you can have, and honestly one of the toughest ATs you can make as far as staying power goes.

Ya, my Bots/FF is an unstoppable juggernaut... and if he gets in trouble, PFF and recover, then go back and finish the enemy off.