status resist

Switch

so im working on my Rad defender and even tho i s/l  def at 45%  i was curious is there a way to get my status resist  high enough so that when i jump into a group of mobs i dont get hit with stunn sleep held and  chocking cloud drops  is there a % u can get that would make invul to sleep held ect  just curious

so im working on my Rad defender and even tho i s/l  def at 45%  i was curious is there a way to get my status resist  high enough so that when i jump into a group of mobs i dont get hit with stunn sleep held and  chocking cloud drops  is there a % u can get that would make invul to sleep held ect  just curious

Status resistance can never be high enough to do what you want - you need status protection. You can potentially take Acrobatics to stop Holds, but it's an expensive toggle that requires you waste a power on Super Jump.

S/L/E Defense will help against some stuns, but it's nearly useless against Holds and Sleeps. You really need positional defense (Ranged and Melee) for that. However, it's nearly impossible to soft-cap both Ranged and Melee Defense on a Defender - and it might be literally impossible starting from a base of Radiation Emission as your support set.

That being said, your goal (leaping into melee range against a large group of enemies) is ultimately unrealistic. In incarnate-level content, you will often encounter enemies with defense debuffs on their melee attacks. As a result, when you enter melee range with them you'll frequently suffer a cascading defense failure - that one stray hit that sneaks through leads to two hits, which lead to four, etc. as your defense is progressively torn down. Coupled with the fact that Choking Cloud will provide you with negligible protection (it takes a while for the Hold to land and the Hold won't affect anything except minions) while generating massive aggro and I think you'll find that this tactic is of limited use.

While it's definitely not something you want to do when dying is going to fail an objective or a badge, Choking Cloud can be very effective to lock down minions assuming you've got some way of aggressively debuffing their defense.  For my Rad/Rad, I like to hit them with Irradiate and/or Neutron Bomb to get that going - enemy mobs can suffer from cascading defense failure too.    As previously mentioned, there's no way to build in status protection with IOs so if you're playing against higher-con enemies you'll want to either wait until your tank has aggro before moving in or use an Incarnate solution such as the Clarion destiny and/or the Melee hybrid. 

It's a fun and different way to play your Defender in missions, just be careful not to do it when you really need to be doing your primary debuffing role, since you'll have a hard time holding hard targets like Archvillains and your team may need your toggle debuffs to secure victory, so in that situation you likely don't want to be going into melee range.

There can be no defense like elaborate courtesy - E.V. Lucas

My AE arcs:

Ex Machina, the story of the Tin Mage Corps.  Arc ID #11781

If you are open to playing a Controller instead of a Defender, you can get access to Indomitable Will from the Psi pool. That is one of the main avenues for gaining Mezz Protection as a Radiation Emission character. Otherwise, you'll need to wait to level 50 and go with an Incarnate Ability like Clarion.

It only lasts for about 90 seconds, but you can get Rune of Protection. It is a long recharge (600s) but you can typically get that down to less than 180, in which case you'd achieve more than 50% uptime. I believe RoP gives you status protection (as opposed to resistance) and nice resistance values (half a Force of Nature, but without the crash and it offers Psi Resistance).

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

Only two complete answers I know of are Traps and FF. Even with those you have to get kb prot IOs but it's enough to hold down things. You might still have holes to sleep (not sure) but if not hitting, then no problem.

Sonic defenders actually have a hard time with the sleep hole as it seems everyone and their dog has a sleep in their powers past level 40.

and yeah, Rune of Protection is very nice even with the recharge.