Targeting Groups Bind List Spreadsheet

Hi, it's me again...

As an addendum to the Help With High Priority Targeting thread, I began documenting my bind files in a spreadsheet and became obsessed with making it easier to add, remove and update enemies into the binds.  In the end, I setup a formula that would read the enemy groups in the sheet and build out the bind for me.

Rather than thread-jack that topic, I figured I should make a new one, so here goes!

It includes a setup sheet where I setup the bind key, the targeting command, and a couple of delimiter combinations to build out the files with either a generic target command, one with the "alive" keyword, and one with the "enemy alive" keywords.  This is due to some groups having a large number of threats that need to be targeted, exceeding the 256 character limit.

I've set it up to target certain types of enemies first, in this (loose) order:

Exploders (e.g. Embalmed)

Rezzers (e.g Mortificators)

Healers

Snipers

Mezzes

Immobilizers

Debuffers

Badge

then by rank:

Giant Monster

Arch Villain

Elite Boss

Boss

Lieutenant

It will also show the length of the bind command and flag if it exceeds the 256 character limit.

I've attached the spreadsheet, TargetedGroups.xlsm; it's 35kb in size.  The workbook currently handles 42 enemy groups (and has sections for each of the 5 segments of the Silver Mantis Strike Force).  I plan on adding binds for more TFs, SFs, ITs etc, as needed.  It's pretty easy to add more groups as needed, just follow the format of the previous ones, and set the join range to match that of the bind values in the new group.

Note: It uses a function called Join() to concatenate the targets together using the aggregated targeting/keywords as a join separator.  This is why it is an XLSM (macro enabled Excel) file.  That is the ONLY user function in the file.  Also, I don't take credit for the Join() function; that was from an article over at  Spreadsheets Made Easy (I was too lazy to come up with my own :) ).

It doesn't write out the bind files; a quick cut/paste into notepad will do that for you.  If the demand is there, I may make a VBA macro/button combo to do that.

The second part of this (that I'll tackle in a separate topic) is setting up the Custom.Window file to have a menu of bind files to choose from when you enter a mission (or go on a hunt, a TF or whatever).  I have that working as well, but again, need to document the process (and the bugs I've found with the whole Custom.Window functionality).

If you find it useful, or have ideas on what I should add, or suggestions on priority, or anything else really, please comment and let me know.  I'd love to hear feedback.

Happy hunting!

@Saunik

TargetedGroups.xlsm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am not seeing where that attachment/download is?

Look at the bottom left of the OP for a link that is labeled with:

* TargetedGroups.xlsm (34.59 kB - downloaded 3 times.)

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

• 2 weeks later

Im totally lost, how do I import this into my game. I have a file I store my binds in. What do I type to load it. What buttons actually do the cycling?

Im really trying to just find a set that will cycle through bosses and elite bosses whatever the type that is being fought. This more advanced set sounds useful but im even more lost with it.

Edited by Pale_Enchantress

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 2:27 PM, Pale_Enchantress said:

Im totally lost, how do I import this into my game. I have a file I store my binds in. What do I type to load it. What buttons actually do the cycling?

Im really trying to just find a set that will cycle through bosses and elite bosses whatever the type that is being fought. This more advanced set sounds useful but im even more lost with it.

Note above I said:

It doesn't write out the bind files; a quick cut/paste into notepad will do that for you.

So, copy the cell's bind string into a text file, give it a name for the enemy group that you'll remember.

Then you can use /bindloadfile <filepath/filename> to load it ingame when you need it.

I created a Groups folder under the game's data folder, and made a file containing the Crey bind (ex: C:\Games\CityOfHeroes\Data\Groups\Crey.txt).  I load it with:

/bindloadfile groups\crey.txt

I hope that helps.

-=Janrith

On 7/27/2019 at 3:36 PM, Janrith said:

Note above I said:

So, copy the cell's bind string into a text file, give it a name for the enemy group that you'll remember.

Then you can use /bindloadfile <filepath/filename> to load it ingame when you need it.

I created a Groups folder under the game's data folder, and made a file containing the Crey bind (ex: C:\Games\CityOfHeroes\Data\Groups\Crey.txt).  I load it with:

/bindloadfile groups\crey.txt

I hope that helps.

-=Janrith

I'm just terrible at xl I guess I don't know what to  Do to make the  Text string appear.   I know how to copy and paste and make a bind I don't know how to make the string appear in the document.

Edited by Pale_Enchantress

22 hours ago, Pale_Enchantress said:

I'm just terrible at xl I guess I don't know what to  Do to make the  Text string appear.   I know how to copy and paste and make a bind I don't know how to make the string appear in the document.

The first row for each group contains the bind in the Bind column (Column F).  So, for 5th Column, cell F9 contains:

v "targetcustomnext val enemy alive$$targetcustomnext mek enemy alive$$targetcustomnext vam enemy alive$$targetcustomnext wo enemy alive$$targetcustomnext sha enemy alive"

Does that help?

-=Janrith

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Janrith said:

The first row for each group contains the bind in the Bind column (Column F).  So, for 5th Column, cell F9 contains:

v "targetcustomnext val enemy alive$$targetcustomnext mek enemy alive$$targetcustomnext vam enemy alive$$targetcustomnext wo enemy alive$$targetcustomnext sha enemy alive"

Does that help?

-=Janrith

1 Yes huge help also nice looking character

Just a quick update:

I've been adding new binds to the workbook for the majority of the Villain and Praetorian enemy groups, moved the "original" Praetorians to their own worksheet (the ones you have to fight in the PI missions for the Multidimensional badge), and moved the TF ones to another separate sheet.

I'd been trying to move to using a popmenu for targeting, but they still have the annoying behavior of not actually loading the bindfile until after a restart of the game client -- currently not a usable solution, despite the more useful menuing structure.  Also can't apply the multi binds directly in the menus as popmenu doesn't support embedded quotes, something needed to have a multi-command bind on a menu.

There just a few groups left to add to the Enemy Binds sheet, then I'll start in on the TF/SF lists.  I hope to get an update posted by the end of the week.

Take care!

-=Janrith

Would it be possible to create a popmenu for 'Target Group'  to use at the beginning of a mission or farm once you know what 'group' to select? 

Enter a map with 'Lost'  use the popmenu and select Lost to then now have your target keybind cycle the Lost group's priorities...

to my knowledge popmenu's do not have a char limit like a keybind would.

Edited by chaossdragon

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:12 AM, chaossdragon said:

Would it be possible to create a popmenu for 'Target Group'  to use at the beginning of a mission or farm once you know what 'group' to select? 

Enter a map with 'Lost'  use the popmenu and select Lost to then now have your target keybind cycle the Lost group's priorities...

to my knowledge popmenu's do not have a char limit like a keybind would.

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 5:18 PM, Janrith said:

Also can't apply the multi binds directly in the menus as popmenu doesn't support embedded quotes, something needed to have a multi-command bind on a menu.

TL;DR:

Unfortunately no, because of the above...

Longer version:

A Menu option is defined as:

Option "Name" "Command"

While multiple commands separated by $$ are allowed in a popmenu, embedded quotes are not.  so, for a popmenu option defined as:

Option "5th Column" "bind v "targetcustomnext val enemy alive$$targetcustomnext mek enemy alive$$targetcustomnext vam enemy alive$$targetcustomnext wo enemy alive$$targetcustomnext sha enemy alive""

The option in the menu is interpreted as:

"5th Column" "bind v "

And the menu fails with the following error:

BindFailure.jpg.b022a59880ea863beb2d5a82f91097cb.jpg

We could setup the actual target commands on menu options, but that wouldn't really be efficient for ingame use:

Option "Nemesis2" "targetcustomnext come enemy alive$$targetcustomnext tir enemy alive$$targetcustomnext hul enemy alive$$targetcustomnext fa enemy alive$$targetcustomnext sur enemy alive"

TargetingMenu.thumb.jpg.eda3f8eb37d61c03e31db18e67200b2c.jpg

You'd have to select the menu item for every mob... UGH!

Still trying to figure out a way around this.  Methinks fixing the popmenu handling of the bind commands would be the real fix here...

-=Janrith

dumb thought and I'm probably wrong here but,  popmenu using the 'groups' folder method you have to bindloadfile  as the option?  if the target cycle key is the same in all bindfiles then a popmenu to load that groups/group_name.txt  then you could use the popmenu to load the correct binds for what your fighting.   

17 hours ago, chaossdragon said:

dumb thought and I'm probably wrong here but,  popmenu using the 'groups' folder method you have to bindloadfile  as the option?  if the target cycle key is the same in all bindfiles then a popmenu to load that groups/group_name.txt  then you could use the popmenu to load the correct binds for what your fighting.   

Hate to do this to you again, but from the same post :classic_smile:...

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 5:18 PM, Janrith said:

I'd been trying to move to using a popmenu for targeting, but they still have the annoying behavior of not actually loading the bindfile until after a restart of the game client -- currently not a usable solution, despite the more useful menuing structure.

I don't yet know why the game client treats a bind load command from a popmenu any different than a normal command, but I've not been able to deep dive into the source code as of yet.

I have it, just haven't had the time to wrap my mind around it.

-=Janrith

30 minutes ago, Janrith said:

Hate to do this to you again, but from the same post :classic_smile:...

I don't yet know why the game client treats a bind load command from a popmenu any different than a normal command, but I've not been able to deep dive into the source code as of yet.

I have it, just haven't had the time to wrap my mind around it.

-=Janrith

Don't feel bad, I prefer to be corrected and learn of my mistakes.  False understanding is a rather large problem in this day and age... 

Heya, had an epiphany...

Since chat commands work normally, I can have a menu option such as "beginchat /bindloadfile groups/5thcolumns.tt".

This drops the bind command into the chat prompt, and all you have to do is hit enter to load the bind.

So I'm now updating my test popmenu file to contain working bind menus for all the binds in this thread's spreadsheet.  When I get it tested out, I'll package up my bind files and the menu file and attach it to this thread.

-=Janrith.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later

I know RL has a big impact on testing and available time, but just curious on any updates for this.  For some reason when I tried to use the spreadsheet to copy/paste i get nothing to use... not sure if it's a macro that I don't have or if I just don't know how to properly use the file...  I use Open Office to load it.

• 2 weeks later
On 8/28/2019 at 7:58 PM, chaossdragon said:

I know RL has a big impact on testing and available time, but just curious on any updates for this.  For some reason when I tried to use the spreadsheet to copy/paste i get nothing to use... not sure if it's a macro that I don't have or if I just don't know how to properly use the file...  I use Open Office to load it.

Put "/bind " with the trailing space and remove the quotes in your chat before you paste and Enter 

Make sure you update your target key on the second tab of the spreadsheet.

/bind paste_xls_stuff_here

Edited by Illuminary2

10 hours ago, Illuminary2 said:

Put "/bind " with the trailing space and remove the quotes in your chat before you paste and Enter 

Make sure you update your target key on the second tab of the spreadsheet.

/bind paste_xls_stuff_here

Ok... My english or ability to communicate must be super lacking... (sorry if i'm being snarky)

Opened the file with Open Office Spreadsheet software...  based on what was mentioned below...

On 7/29/2019 at 8:22 PM, Janrith said:

Does that help?

-=Janrith

When I try this  my copy pasta is as follows

#NAME?
(I have set the Security for Macros on the document to ask permission to run)

11 hours ago, chaossdragon said:

Ok... My english or ability to communicate must be super lacking... (sorry if i'm being snarky)

Opened the file with Open Office Spreadsheet software...  based on what was mentioned below...

When I try this  my copy pasta is as follows

#NAME?
(I have set the Security for Macros on the document to ask permission to run)

You should copy the cell contents and paste it into City of Heroes dialog entry.  /bind paste_here