New way to travel for those on street heros

I was just thinking that does of us that want to make a batman type hero where we keep our heroics on street have no real way to travel around besides running.  What about a grappling hook like power for us that will help us get to the roof tops quicker for quicker travel instead of just running around the streets?

EMERALD STAR PUB DISCORD: 

Hey guys.  Need a place to go online were you can forget eberything going on in the real world?  Place to let loose have fun and a laugh?  Well come on down to the Emerald star pub.  A fun place to be thats both ooc and rp chat.  You want to know more theres an invite below to come check us out and have some fun

Emerald Star Pub

I was just thinking that does of us that want to make a batman type hero where we keep our heroics on street have no real way to travel around besides running.  What about a grappling hook like power for us that will help us get to the roof tops quicker for quicker travel instead of just running around the streets?

So... The game doesn't have that capability. At all.

First we'd need to redesign all of the game's buildings to have invisible entity "panels" around the top to target with your grapple and create a flag that let you grapple to them. But also make them immune to damage and unmoving and big enough to completely encapsulate the edge of the building. At least four -per- building to cover each of the four sides.

Then we'd have to completely restructure the way Knockback works to try and create a "Pull Towards", something the Professional Developers on Live said was basically impossible on a few occasions.

And let's not -start- on Swinging...

I've stuggled with this myself. I finally decided that with enough eye-squinting and abstraction, Super Jump makes a good proxy for web-slinging or similar grapple-like travel. You get that same up-and-down swing feel, and you can get up to ledges and whatnot to look down on the streets like Batman. It's not perfect but it has a close enough feel (for me, anyway).

The only way I can see this working is if they came up with a grappling/web slinging animation and tied it to a Super Jump or Fly clone.

Mechanically not much else would change, but at least your character looks like they are swinging due to the animation poses. Might end up looking silly though, idk.

I find it funny that the trains are filled with heroes in tights.

I'd be happy with a Motorcycle or car option for my Vigilante... nothing as fancy as the batmobile or the green hornet's car. Just a plain Harley or croch rocket superbike (or a horse?), a handful of choices for cars, and maybe a bus for a supergroup. Then the devs would have to factor in a parking lot, and maybe charge inf for gas and vehicle maintenance like how sg bases require power and generators.

Ninja Run is your answer.

Combine with Combat Jumping if you don't want to "leap tall buildings in a single bound" (or words to that effect).

Add Sprint (or Sprint functional Prestige Power from the Pay 2 Win Vendor if you prefer) for "sufficient" running speed.

Add Jet Pack (or Steam Jet Pack if you insist) for being able to reach the REALLY high places you otherwise couldn't get to ... or for temporary (30s at a stretch) horizontal flight/gliding boosts if you orient your character movement right.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

First we'd need to redesign all of the game's buildings to have invisible entity "panels" around the top to target with your grapple and create a flag that let you grapple to them. But also make them immune to damage and unmoving and big enough to completely encapsulate the edge of the building. At least four -per- building to cover each of the four sides.

You're overthinking it, IMO.

If it's JUST a way to get to the top of buildings?  All you need is for the game to be able to know when you're next to something you can get to the top of, and add an animation of a line from the character to the top of that thing.

Then, essentially, buff the unholy snot out of Jump Height.  Slower than superjump, but higher, with no "air control" (just straight up).

CO did it fine.  No worries about buildings, anchor points, etc.  Even in a featureless desert plain, Swinging just ... worked.  Up to the player if that disrupted their fun or not.

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

You're overthinking it, IMO.

If it's JUST a way to get to the top of buildings?  All you need is for the game to be able to know when you're next to something you can get to the top of, and add an animation of a line from the character to the top of that thing.

Then, essentially, buff the unholy snot out of Jump Height.  Slower than superjump, but higher, with no "air control" (just straight up).

CO did it fine.  No worries about buildings, anchor points, etc.  Even in a featureless desert plain, Swinging just ... worked.  Up to the player if that disrupted their fun or not.

The game has no distinctions in ground. All ground is ground. Top of a building? Nope. It's just ground. There's no modifiers or markers in the game that indicate it's the top of a building.

And because that functionality doesn't exist: Invisible Entities! It's the single most common kludge in gaming. Freaking WoW has raid encounters filled with invisible bunny rabbits that get triggered in stages to fire off specific ground targeting effects.

If you wanted to do the "No Air Control just jump all the height" that would work fine 'cause the game -has- that functionality. But you'd still need an entity or other object that is separate from the building (Which again is just 'ground') to attach the line to.

As to Champions having swinging: They built the game's engine with the intent of parabolic arcs (Both up and down) being a thing. City of Heroes does not have an understanding of parabola, nor the capability of describing such a thing. Much -less- the whole Momentum increasing effects of the physics engine that Champions has to let you go faster if you drop farther.

City of Heroes' physics engine just cannot cut that kind of math and make it usable for movement.

Ninja Run is your answer.

Combine with Combat Jumping if you don't want to "leap tall buildings in a single bound" (or words to that effect).

Add Sprint (or Sprint functional Prestige Power from the Pay 2 Win Vendor if you prefer) for "sufficient" running speed.

Add Jet Pack (or Steam Jet Pack if you insist) for being able to reach the REALLY high places you otherwise couldn't get to ... or for temporary (30s at a stretch) horizontal flight/gliding boosts if you orient your character movement right.

You cannot have both ninja run (or beast run) and combat jumping on at the same time.  Now, IMO, how about just adding a version of ninja run (and/or beast run) that you can slot for run speed and jump height?

The utility belt power pool was going to have free running for natural themed travel power goodness. 

As for grappling/web swinging, the only way to do it would be to do what CO does and basically make it an alternate animation for flying.

"Titan/Bio scrappers are the stealthiest toons in the game."

"How's that possible? They don't have any inherent stealth and you'd never take concealment pool powers on them!"

"You see; they're perfect at stealth because nobody will notice if there's nobody to notice."

If we can not have attach points to any structure since the game doesn't support it, & need a plausible reason as to why it is attaching to nothing in midair.

How about calling it Shadow Tendrils & have the text for the power claim that it is attaching to a non-visible point in dimensional space; in actuality it would be using the mechanics for either jump or fly & attaching to nothing.

Would that work?

If we can not have attach points to any structure since the game doesn't support it, & need a plausible reason as to why it is attaching to nothing in midair.

How about calling it Shadow Tendrils & have the text for the power claim that it is attaching to a non-visible point in dimensional space; in actuality it would be using the mechanics for either jump or fly & attaching to nothing.

Would that work?

That makes it very much not suitable for natural characters.

Honestly just let it attach to nothing and basically be an alt animation for flying. We can suspend disbelief.

"Titan/Bio scrappers are the stealthiest toons in the game."

"How's that possible? They don't have any inherent stealth and you'd never take concealment pool powers on them!"

"You see; they're perfect at stealth because nobody will notice if there's nobody to notice."

I'd honestly like to see another hybrid power akin to mystic flight: Grappling hook.  Basically, toggle it on to increase jump height roughly equal to Ninja/Beast Run, and while active allow a "teleport" (think like Shield Charge or Savage Leap) that requires a surface to hit.

It follows the same logic as other "hybrid" travel powers: Combine two powers, but make them lesser than their singular counterparts.

Really they just need more travel pose emotes, like they have with flight. Some creative interpretations of Super Jump could get around a lot of these.

Wouldn't mind some alternate Super Speed run poses, to be honest.

I would love to see alternate teleport animations.  Or really just see the mystic flight spellcasting animation proliferated over to Teleport.

I'd honestly like to see another hybrid power akin to mystic flight: Grappling hook.  Basically, toggle it on to increase jump height roughly equal to Ninja/Beast Run, and while active allow a "teleport" (think like Shield Charge or Savage Leap) that requires a surface to hit.

It follows the same logic as other "hybrid" travel powers: Combine two powers, but make them lesser than their singular counterparts.

... what if we made the travel power you're describing into a "Brutish Climbing" travel power...?

Have the teleport emote only work on flat surfaces and take the form of your character moving their hands like they're grabbing a surface, planting their feet against it, and leaping like Hulk in the first Avengers movie?

Sure it'd look dumb if you used the "Climb" while on the ground (You'd just be teleporting along the ground holding on to nothing like this is Thriller!) but it'd be a really neat way to have wall-climbing. Add a hover-delay with that pose and we could even "Cling" to walls, briefly.