Sent-tank at 22

JusticeBowler

This is a thought experiment that would be an actual experiment if I had the INF to spend on it. If I get some interesting responses I might give it a go.

I want to know if folks think it is possible to burn a Sentinel up to 22 using DFB and then spend some cold hard cash on sets available in the mid-levels at the Auction House and "tank" enough at least for alpha/opening salvo with teams in that range.

I'm not talking about whether you can build a tank-mage at 50 with Incarnates and Purples. But I have noticed that a lot of teams "barely need a tank" and the tanker forums are full of "nobody needs us anymore." I'm just thinking with status protection and some creative slotting all it would take is a Dom or a Controller on the team to keep most of the mobs at range (where the damage is much lower) and Bob's your uncle... Sent-tank.

What say you all?

I'm willing to spend some cold cash if someone thinks there are options here, but I don't know enough about the subtleties of that to make a pass at it. My big suspicion is that the low HP pool might be the deal breaker no matter how clever we get.

Svengjuk, Formerly Alice, Empty Man, EM Riptide, Silver Mouse, and many more... SG: Hero Dawn

I think an off-tank role is possible for a Sentinel, but 22 is a hard sell.  I would recommend level 27 as the bare minimum, as that is the first time you can slot Thunderstrike to get Ranged/Energy/Negative defense.  I would pick a resistance-based set, as the spikes of damage on a defense-based set could be deadly to a sentinel due to the lower HP.  Get ranged defense as high as possible with creative slotting of IO sets, take Tough to get S/L resistance as high as possible, use Hover to stay out of melee range, and be careful what you try tanking. 

Yeah, I can see your point. At 27 you have just a little more breathing room to slip that Hover somewhere in there as well.

I've been surprised just how much mitigation I get on my Keld-squid flying around. I don't usually make that sort of build and I'm a little concerned about just how short the range on Sentinel blasts are, but that has the added appeal of "appearing to tank" more by flying over the mob group to lead off.

This is a good first step. I look forward to other comments to build on the idea.

Svengjuk, Formerly Alice, Empty Man, EM Riptide, Silver Mouse, and many more... SG: Hero Dawn

I think this should be achievable for any sentinel powerset as soon as level 1, with insp drops and situation awareness.

Now as for which one would be best suited to the task... Interesting question.

Perhaps Dark Blast for the primary, with -tohit on every attack, a KB to KD IO in the cone and a hold on your early big hitter.

Coupled with Energy Aura, for a nice mix of defense compounding that -tohit. Plus some resistance, an awesome heal and end management, basically all the powers you need to slot all your survivability uniques as early as possible.

Popping purples and having any sort of defensive set practically qualifies as for what you want to do. Hell, I do it on my squishies.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

I'd rather be more dependable than pill popping can pull off. I want to push through beyond that scrappers can do at a similar level into a gimped (loosely slotted) tank/brute zone.

I think Ice and Psychic primaries also have some very compelling options. I've never figured the exact mitigation of -RCHG but whatever that mitigation is, it is going to be considerably more valuable if the mobs can't cycle between melee and ranged attacks. If all they have is ranged I see -RCHG as effective as Dark with some potentially helpful other side effects like Ice's -SPD -JMP and Psychic's KD and Stun.

I do think one of the three is probably the way to go. Going Dark would have higher potential mitigation if you actually slotted for -TOHIT, but that would cost more precious slots early. Ice comes up a little short on DMG, but Psychic probably does the most of the three.

Some of the painful things to tank early on (Lost big blades and some other melee hitters) really don't do much ranged. Also while hovering, things like burn patches and slows are zeroed out. Probably the first big problems would be Clockwork (who can fly and shoot energy right off the bat) and then similar issues when Freakshow finally show up. CoT ghosts will suck. I'm not sure what the range on Vaz Vomit is, but the big barf is very short. You'll probably be just out of range of things like Sorcerer's hurricanes.

But the smaller cave tilesets (CoT blue and Council brown) are going to be no go zones.

Now the point of this is to take the alpha and hope the rest of the team can work things out from there, but not being able to keep the attention of some Lts and Bosses even after the alpha is going to cause squishie-wipes. So I think we have to fit the Presence Power Pool in there at least for that as early as slotting allows. That's also something squishies popping pills can't do.

This makes me think I need as much protection as I can get in as few toggles as possible early on. There are just too many things to fit in too quickly. So the secondary needs to be lean fast. Maybe even get by without some typed damage protection for a bit (because we definitely cannot pass up status protection by Positron TF or so (if I'm not powerleveling to 22).

I'll have to take another look at the secondaries to see what looks like it fits.

The tankiest Sent secondaries overall are probably Energy Aura, Invulnerability, and Bio Armor (if you IO set bonus the hell out of it, it's almost like it was designed to be as exploitable as possible for IO set bonuses). EA and Invuln are lower performance but aren't nearly as vulnerable to being exemped.

Super Reflexes and Ninjitsu get up to tank quality fast but will be outshined at taking alphas by those three at end game. I know you're interested in doing it from a low level but I feel it's best to be up-front about that.

I think it's really hard to argue using anything besides Dark as a primary except that Dark doesn't have great damage, so it really won't take long to rip them away from you. But you're mostly interested in the alpha, so that's okay.

irregulars book logo noby white.png

Sundered Marches: The Website | The Official Soundtrack!

So I've done some poking around the secondaries... some of them don't really shine until the late game, but have some tremendous possibilities once there.

I know everyone craps on the late auras in Dark, but I've got a Dark tank and you can do some crazy tank tricks with them. The problem in this case is that the range won't work unless I drop the Hover late game, but that might not be a bad idea. (Hover will cover the Immobilization and KB protection Dark lacks up to that point.) Anyway in combination with the Cloak of Darkness ... I could run in, stun/fear ten mobs without ever taking a proper alpha and Soul Transfer is up fast enough that a few mistakes will easily fix themselves... a little debt never hurt anyone as long as the team doesn't wipe. The real problem is, while still doing Hover in the early levels, the heal is unusable, again because of the range.

Energy Aura is compelling, but still has more toggles than I was hoping early on. It turns out that none of these sets have status protection early (lvl 16) so that'll mean I might want to DFB at least that far? who knows. Powersink is out unless I drop Hover and I don't think that's enough of a payoff ... at least not like I might do with Dark. Still, I could get close to soft cap on DEF plus plenty of RES.

Now Electric Aura is very similar to Energy, but late game with some global recharge happening, hasten and lightning reflexes.. Power Surge could be perma and crazy making! The crash would be almost immaterial. And it looks like early on I get more protection out of the box for fewer slots than with Energy Aura.

Super Reflexes would save me a ton of trouble since maxing focused senses would cover almost all of what I'm worried about in the early game. But wow, when I got hit I would surely know it. Getting a bit of resist in there with set bonuses and Tough a little later would help a little but be a hard-expensive path... But what I don't know is how much Enduring and Dodge will give me Resist when I do get hit. I can probably get close to perma Elude too.

I might have to invoke Redlynne's name to ask about NO GET HITSU! as a Sentinel.

I honestly don't know what to say about BIO. It seems like the answer to everything is BIO because BIO is broken. On top of being one of the best overall sets depending on slotting it can adjust so when there is plenty of melee-meat around I can turn up the Offense and maximize my utility depending on the team. Adaptation comes early (10)! Absorb is a big help on those alphas. There's even a range bonus for Offensive + Genomic ... looks like it isn't that hard to get Parasitic Leech perma as well.

Regen left out of the mix again, I love this black sheep set.  Pine will have you go maheee it looks ok but this set is better or that set is better.

I play a /bio tank a lot and every time  someone pulled 3 or 4 groups it was only a regen sent alive with me. Different people every time but same secondary. I was so reluctant to play one. It just did not look great on paper.  The eye test though every week I would experience this regen living through insane odds. I just had to try it .

A week ago I grab my lvl 12 regen sent and lvl him to 47 still climbing. Just stupid strong set. The absorb shield is larger than most and the regen is just stupid on it.  Focusing of rech IO sets I am down to 54's recharge on MoG so almost every other group I have it to take alpha I plan on trying to drop it even further.  I normally create teams so I try and choose at least one brute or tank and  I off tank a lot. If its a dry night like the last 2. Ive had moment where I was the tank if you can call it that. I would take alpha and  try to hold as much aggro as I can using aoe after aoe and if someone pull 2nd or 3 I try to pick up. What your going to run into is no taunt aura on sent. So to really be a real tank you will have to sacrifice 3 powers and  I don't have that room in my build. I also did not expect regen to be so strong either. If you look at reddit and forums every positive sent experience has been with Regen. The only negative feedback you see is people assuming other set to be stronger by pine and so forth. In practice its unbelievably better than what people assume.  I am not saying there are not other sets that keep you alive but Regen is just stupid stong.

Staying alive is one thing holding aggro is another  and  Sent aggro is only a little higher than other range classes and lower than melee class so to really hold the aggro you will need a aoe taunt.

Regen is great. There's no doubt. Usually people snark on regen because:

1. the topsy turvy health bar that makes them feel like they are about to die all the time

2. no mitigation means alphas suck, always (sans MoG)

3. Sentinel low total HP means all the regen powers aren't as awesome as they would be with a higher pool

4. there's a lot of clicking, animation times, whatever, so that defense is taking time away from offensive powers being clicked

5. all the powers need lots of slotting

6. no base RES or DEF for other teammates to boost/synergise with (such boosts are most effective when they are close to the cap) even tough and weave are less effective than with other builds

I think it might be fun with a /Regen to stio 5 sets of Entropic Chaos on the Sentinel Primary and see what happens. That's 50% extra regen, plus 10% more endurance, 32% global recharge plus every attack has a chance to heal. All of that available as low as lvl 20. You will need a global accuracy boost somewhere else or some tactics when fighting +3 or higher, but otherwise it would be quite spiffy.

Still... I do worry about a couple of things in that list above myself.

If someone can show me how to do it though, I'm not writing anything off.

No one seems to have suggested it yet, but if you want to be a tank style sentinel I'd recommend water blast.  Not only do you get a decent heal, which you can use with a def based set that you'll almost certainly want to use to do early tanking, your AoEs have a huge radius and high target caps, so you can get at least a little aggro on everything (though keeping it might be harder).  Not only that, they knock your enemies around, so it helps you take that alpha strike without dropping dead before you get all your super cool god-mode IOs for surviving armageddon.

Regen is great. There's no doubt. Usually people snark on regen because:

1. the topsy turvy health bar that makes them feel like they are about to die all the time

2. no mitigation means alphas suck, always (sans MoG)

3. Sentinel low total HP means all the regen powers aren't as awesome as they would be with a higher pool

4. there's a lot of clicking, animation times, whatever, so that defense is taking time away from offensive powers being clicked

5. all the powers need lots of slotting

6. no base RES or DEF for other teammates to boost/synergise with (such boosts are most effective when they are close to the cap) even tough and weave are less effective than with other builds

I think it might be fun with a /Regen to stio 5 sets of Entropic Chaos on the Sentinel Primary and see what happens. That's 50% extra regen, plus 10% more endurance, 32% global recharge plus every attack has a chance to heal. All of that available as low as lvl 20. You will need a global accuracy boost somewhere else or some tactics when fighting +3 or higher, but otherwise it would be quite spiffy.

Still... I do worry about a couple of things in that list above myself.

If someone can show me how to do it though, I'm not writing anything off.

The build below is where I hope to go but right now I am running closer to a pvp build with Burnout and rune of protection holding 60 res to all damage before incarnates but after Barrier this is where I want to go.

Also regen Sent play differently than melee regen. They do not have that yoyo effect with regen shield it slows incoming damage and spike gets handled by absorb IO. Regen shield makes everything very manageable through out the lvling process.

Lightning Field will get you a lots of Aggro .

Circuit makes teams and Hami raids love your 80ft Heals and its such a quick cast it just works. You can use those powers with any Sentinel.

Others  builds that are real good are Water/ and/ EA  with EA  I think you can cap everything even regen at end game. I play Duel Pistol because I cant stop playing it. Ill take the lower damage to be happy. It still has its -28% damage Toxic bullets  but its the animation its Amazing.

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.962

http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Science Sentinel

Primary Power Set: Dual Pistols

Secondary Power Set: Regeneration

Power Pool: Flight

Power Pool: Speed

Power Pool: Presence

Power Pool: Leadership

Ancillary Pool: Electricity Mastery

Hero Profile:

Level 1: Dual Wield -- HO:Nucle(A)

Level 1: Fast Healing -- NmnCnv-Heal(A), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(3), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(3)

Level 2: Empty Clips -- PcnoftheT--Rchg%(A), TchofLadG-%Dam(11), FrcFdb-Rechg%(27), HO:Centri(31), HO:Nucle(31)

Level 4: Reconstruction -- Ags-Psi/Status(A), NmnCnv-Heal(5), NmnCnv-EndRdx/Rchg(5), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(9), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(25)

Level 6: Hover -- Frb-Fly(A), Frb-Stlth(7), Frb-EndRdx(7), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(9), Rct-ResDam%(15), WntGif-ResSlow(43)

Level 8: Swap Ammo

Level 10: Instant Regeneration -- HO:Golgi(A), HO:Golgi(13), HO:Golgi(13), Prv-Absorb%(48)

Level 12: Bullet Rain -- Rgn-Knock%(A), PcnoftheT--Rchg%(23), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(25), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), Rgn-Dmg(33), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(33)

Level 14: Quick Recovery -- PrfShf-EndMod/Rchg(A), PrfShf-EndMod/Acc(15), PrfShf-EndMod(17)

Level 16: Dismiss Pain -- Pnc-Heal/Rchg(A), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(17), Pnc-Heal(23)

Level 18: Executioner's Shot -- AnlWkn-Acc/Rchg/EndRdx(A), AnlWkn-%ToHit(19), TchofLadG-%Dam(19), HO:Nucle(45), HO:Nucle(46)

Level 20: Integration -- NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(A), NmnCnv-Heal(21), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(21), NmnCnv-EndRdx/Rchg(37)

Level 22: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(36)

Level 24: Provoke -- PrfZng-Dam%(A), PrfZng-Taunt(46)

Level 26: Piercing Rounds -- PstBls-Dmg/Rng(A), PcnoftheT--Rchg%(27), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(33), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(34), PstBls-Acc/Dmg(34), PstBls-Dam%(34)

Level 28: Resilience -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(29), UnbGrd-Max HP%(29), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(36), GldArm-3defTpProc(39)

Level 30: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)

Level 32: Hail of Bullets -- PcnoftheT--Rchg%(A), SprOppStr-Rchg/+Opportunity(40), Arm-Dam%(42), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg(42), SprOppStr-Dmg/Rchg(42), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43)

Level 35: Second Wind -- Pnc-EndRdx/Rchg(A), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(36), Pnc-Heal/Rchg(37), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(40), Pnc-Heal(40)

Level 38: Moment of Glory -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(39), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(39)

Level 41: Chain Fences -- GrvAnc-Hold%(A), Ann-ResDeb%(43)

Level 44: Lightning Field -- HO:Nucle(A), HO:Nucle(45)

Level 47: Rehabilitating Circuit -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(48), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(48), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(50), NmnCnv-Heal(50)

Level 49: Tactics -- GssSynFr--Build%(A)

Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)

Level 4: Ninja Run

Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal(A), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(46), Pnc-Heal/Rchg(50)

Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod/Acc(A), PrfShf-EndMod/Rchg(11), PrfShf-End%(37), PrfShf-EndMod(45)

Level 8: Cryo Ammunition

Level 8: Incendiary Ammunition

Level 50: Paralytic Radial Flawless Interface

Level 50: Void Radial Final Judgement

Level 50: Barrier Core Epiphany

Level 50: Vigor Core Paragon

Level 50: Melee Core Embodiment

Level 8: Chemical Ammunition

------------

Right now I'm thinking Psychic or Ice with Electric or Super Reflexes. I think that Psychic/Electric is stronger in straight sets, but I really love the increased effect protection from DEF and I might be willing to put up with the survivability problem to avoid all the secondary effects of attacks because mobs can't hit me in the first place. I'm thinking I might try Ice since DPS doesn't have to be the bleeding edge and I've always wanted to roll an Ice blaster. Also P/E doesn't have any sort of character concept. It's just thematically random.

This is a thought experiment that would be an actual experiment if I had the INF to spend on it. If I get some interesting responses I might give it a go.

I want to know if folks think it is possible to burn a Sentinel up to 22 using DFB and then spend some cold hard cash on sets available in the mid-levels at the Auction House and "tank" enough at least for alpha/opening salvo with teams in that range.

I'm not talking about whether you can build a tank-mage at 50 with Incarnates and Purples. But I have noticed that a lot of teams "barely need a tank" and the tanker forums are full of "nobody needs us anymore." I'm just thinking with status protection and some creative slotting all it would take is a Dom or a Controller on the team to keep most of the mobs at range (where the damage is much lower) and Bob's your uncle... Sent-tank.

What say you all?

I'm willing to spend some cold cash if someone thinks there are options here, but I don't know enough about the subtleties of that to make a pass at it. My big suspicion is that the low HP pool might be the deal breaker no matter how clever we get.

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.962

http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 49 Technology Sentinel

Primary Power Set: Dark Blast

Secondary Power Set: Radiation Armor

Power Pool: Fighting

Hero Profile:

Level 1: Gloom

• (A) Entropic Chaos - Chance of Heal Self
  • (3) Entropic Chaos - Accuracy/Damage
  • (15) Entropic Chaos - Damage/Endurance/Recharge

Level 1: Alpha Barrier

• (A) Steadfast Protection - Resistance/+Def 3%
  • (3) Reactive Armor - Resistance
  • (15) Reactive Armor - Resistance/Endurance
  • (23) Reactive Armor - Resistance/Endurance/Recharge

Level 2: Gamma Boost

• (A) Healing IO

Level 4: Umbral Torrent

• (A) Overwhelming Force - Damage/Chance for Knockdown/Knockback to Knockdown
  • (5) Overwhelming Force - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (5) Overwhelming Force - Damage/Endurance/Recharge

Level 6: Proton Armor

• (A) Gladiator's Armor - TP Protection +3% Def (All)
  • (7) Reactive Armor - Resistance
  • (7) Reactive Armor - Resistance/Endurance
  • (23) Reactive Armor - Resistance/Endurance/Recharge

Level 8: Abyssal Gaze

• (A) Essence of Curare - Accuracy/Hold/Recharge
  • (9) Essence of Curare - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (9) Essence of Curare - Accuracy/Endurance

Level 10: Fallout Shelter

• (A) Reactive Armor - Resistance
  • (11) Reactive Armor - Resistance/Endurance
  • (11) Reactive Armor - Resistance/Endurance/Recharge

Level 12: Dark Obliteration

• (A) Detonation - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (13) Detonation - Accuracy/Damage
  • (13) Detonation - Damage/Endurance/Range

Level 14: Boxing

• (A) Empty

Level 16: Proton Therapy

• (A) Harmonized Healing - Heal/Endurance/Recharge
  • (17) Harmonized Healing - Heal/Recharge
  • (17) Harmonized Healing - Endurance/Recharge

Level 18: Tough

• (A) Reactive Armor - Resistance
  • (19) Reactive Armor - Resistance/Endurance/Recharge
  • (19) Reactive Armor - Resistance/Endurance

Level 20: Antumbral Beam

• (A) Entropic Chaos - Chance of Heal Self
  • (21) Entropic Chaos - Accuracy/Damage
  • (21) Entropic Chaos - Damage/Endurance/Recharge

Level 22: Particle Acceleration

• (A) Flight Speed IO

Level 24: Weave

• (A) Shield Wall - +Res (Teleportation), +5% Res (All)
  • (25) Karma - Defense/Recharge
  • (25) Karma - Defense/Endurance

Level 26: [Empty]

Level 28: [Empty]

Level 30: [Empty]

Level 32: [Empty]

Level 35: [Empty]

Level 38: [Empty]

Level 41: [Empty]

Level 44: [Empty]

Level 47: [Empty]

Level 49: [Empty]

Level 1: Brawl

• (A) Accuracy IO

Level 1: Prestige Power Dash

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Prestige Power Slide

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Prestige Power Quick

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Prestige Power Rush

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Prestige Power Surge

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Sprint

• (A) Run Speed IO

Level 2: Rest

• (A) Endurance Modification IO

Level 4: Ninja Run

Level 2: Swift

• (A) Run Speed IO

Level 2: Health

• (A) Miracle - +Recovery

Level 2: Hurdle

• (A) Jumping IO

Level 2: Stamina

• (A) Performance Shifter - Chance for +End

------------

Its a slap together build with Defense, Resists and to hit debuffs, built with almost all uncommon IO's (a few rare IO's, like performance shifter and Universal Damage).

about 60% S/L Reists, 51% resist to Energy, 42% Resist to Negative, 47% to Fire and 72% to Toxic.  Defense is about 12% across the Board, which is coupled with to hit debuffs.  Should be fairly tough (mind you its just leveld to 25)