Suggestion: Street Smarts Power Pool

biostem

When I stopped playing CoH, the Ninja Run and Beast Run powers hadn't been added, nor was the Sorcery power pool, and the others still only had 4 powers each.  I was thinking, how about a more low-level power pool geared toward non-magical heroes?  Thus, I present you with "Street Smarts":

1. Scavenged pistol - You fire off a shot from a simple pistol that you found "somewhere" - lethal damage, small chance for knockdown.

2. Nimble - Toggle - basically functions like combat jumping, only it is a smaller buff to BOTH run speed and jump, with a small def buff and a resist to immobilize effects.  For simplicity's sake, this would just use the Ninja Run animation, only it'd be slower and not suppressed while in combat.

3. Free running - basically an enhanceable version of Ninja Run with a higher jump height and faster run/jump speed.

4. Molotov - You grab 1 or 2 molotov cocktails and throw it/them at your target, causing moderate fire damage, with a chance of creating a small burn patch at your target's feet.

5. Bum rush - You charge your target and hit it and any others in a line, causing moderate smashing damage and potentially knocking them down.

Your thoughts?

• Like 1

When I stopped playing CoH, the Ninja Run and Beast Run powers hadn't been added, nor was the Sorcery power pool, and the others still only had 4 powers each.  I was thinking, how about a more low-level power pool geared toward non-magical heroes?  Thus, I present you with "Street Smarts":

1. Scavenged pistol - You fire off a shot from a simple pistol that you found "somewhere" - lethal damage, small chance for knockdown.

Reasonable and simple. I approve of more half way decent attack options in pools.

2. Nimble - Toggle - basically functions like combat jumping, only it is a smaller buff to BOTH run speed and jump, with a small def buff and a resist to immobilize effects.  For simplicity's sake, this would just use the Ninja Run animation, only it'd be slower and not suppressed while in combat.

Hm, I am not sure. I would seldom, if ever, take this if it used the Ninja Run animation - I would only support this power existing if you could choose your animation. Ninja Run looks awesome for some, barely less stupid than Naruto running for others. I do also feel that the ninja run animation does not flow well with the rest of the set.

3. Free running - basically an enhanceable version of Ninja Run with a higher jump height and faster run/jump speed.

As above I would want to see the options of none/beast/ninja for this. Also, I think that just being enhanceable would make this power good enough to include in the set, making it enhanceable and having higher base numbers than Ninja Run would basically say flat out "you are an absolute utter idiot if you choose Super Speed or Super Jump over this power."

4. Molotov - You grab 1 or 2 molotov cocktails and throw it/them at your target, causing moderate fire damage, with a chance of creating a small burn patch at your target's feet.

Fire? I'm in. Definitely on board with a "natural fireball" power.

5. Bum rush - You charge your target and hit it and any others in a line, causing moderate smashing damage and potentially knocking them down.

I'm not sold on this one for a couple of reasons:

1) We already have quite a few powers, including one pool power, that are charge attacks.

2) I'm not sure I feel that a melee T5 fits with the rest of the pool?

3) I feel as though trying to make a line-damage charge attack would be ... problematic based on the mechanics of City of Heroes.

My suggestion would be bump Molotovs to the T5 slot, and in the T4 slot:

Leg chains: Short range single target attack, deals light smashing damage, slows the target, and has chances to both knock down and immobilize the target. Animation would be throwing a bolo-like chain at the target.

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

I don't like the powers. I don't think they fit the Street Smarts theme. Here's what I'd do:

1. Money Clip. You throw this money clip with a 50-dollar bill on the ground, distracting your enemy, and giving you the perfect opportunity to run away.

2. Signal Punch. You punch a hole in a nearby car trunk through the tail light, so that you can signal nearby motorists for help. This power can only be used on a tail light belonging to a car you're currently locked in the trunk of.

3. Lying Kick. You fall to your back and kick at your target with your legs, dealing minor smashing damage. This power has a chance to throw your opponent off his rhythm.

4. Effervescent Tablet. You chew an effervescent tablet you keep with you at all times, producing a foaming at the mouth effect that makes it appear as though you have rabies. All nearby foes will be thrown off their rhythm.

5. Phone Book Bash. You swing a phone book in an arc in front of you, dealing moderate smashing damage to all foes, and possibly knocking them down. This power cannot bruise your opponents.

• Haha 2

Zolgar, I see your point with not liking the Ninja Run animation.  I was just trying to keep things simple, but I suppose there's no reason why the powers couldn't use Beast Run or on of the other sprint powers, (sped up as needed), instead.

As for the line attack, you could just make it a very narrow cone, like 15 degrees or such.  It wouldn't be that far off from Leaping's "Spring Attack" power, so just tweak the damage, kd chance, and recharge to make it more in-line with that power.

Sounds like a cool power pool set biostem.

My own idea for a street power pool.

Street Tuff Power Pool

Dirty Fighter - Melee, Moderate DMG(Smash), Foe -DMG

Groin Smash - Melee, Moderate Dmg(Smash),  Foe Disorient, Foe Vomit

Boomstick - Ranged (Cone), Moderate DMG(Lethal), Foe Knockback

School of Hard Knocks - Auto: Self +Res(Smash, Lethal),  +Max Health

Original Gangster - Click Self +DMG, +To Hit

• Like 1

On 7/22/2019 at 6:43 PM, Vanden said:

I don't like the powers. I don't think they fit the Street Smarts theme. Here's what I'd do:

1. Money Clip. You throw this money clip with a 50-dollar bill on the ground, distracting your enemy, and giving you the perfect opportunity to run away.

2. Signal Punch. You punch a hole in a nearby car trunk through the tail light, so that you can signal nearby motorists for help. This power can only be used on a tail light belonging to a car you're currently locked in the trunk of.

3. Lying Kick. You fall to your back and kick at your target with your legs, dealing minor smashing damage. This power has a chance to throw your opponent off his rhythm.

4. Effervescent Tablet. You chew an effervescent tablet you keep with you at all times, producing a foaming at the mouth effect that makes it appear as though you have rabies. All nearby foes will be thrown off their rhythm.

5. Phone Book Bash. You swing a phone book in an arc in front of you, dealing moderate smashing damage to all foes, and possibly knocking them down. This power cannot bruise your opponents.

Where would we be without Detective J.J. Bitenbinder?

Street Smarts!