/Traps

Panache

• 2 weeks later

Plant/Traps has Utility out the arse it's insane.  Yeah, I can't believe they let controllers have this...It's just too good.  So far my toon is only lvl 22 but I can't wait to get to 38.  I will become a force to be reckoned with lol.

Could imagine Traps to be super fun in combination with Mind Control. Put the whole mob to sleep, set things up, boom!

My Controllers: Eiszeit (Ice/Time), Sandsturm (Earth/Storm), Dark Crystal (Earth/Dark), Newton (Grav/FF), Dreamstate (Mind/Time), Cosmic Crush (Grav/Storm), Resonating Crystal (Earth/Sonic), Azurelight (Ill/Rad), Voidlord (Dark/Dark)

Could imagine Traps to be super fun in combination with Mind Control. Put the whole mob to sleep, set things up, boom!

Mind/Traps was my initial thought as well, but mostly because the latter provides the former with another avenue to maintain Containment on an AV (aside from Entangling Arrow).

I will give it a try. Never played Traps ever.

Edit: Okay. Even better idea. Imagine you play Grav/Traps and set up a field of Trip Mines just to use Wormhole to teleport a big mob into the minefield.  :o

My Controllers: Eiszeit (Ice/Time), Sandsturm (Earth/Storm), Dark Crystal (Earth/Dark), Newton (Grav/FF), Dreamstate (Mind/Time), Cosmic Crush (Grav/Storm), Resonating Crystal (Earth/Sonic), Azurelight (Ill/Rad), Voidlord (Dark/Dark)

• 3 weeks later

Illusion/Traps.... You can rush in and they shoot at your FF generator isntead of you? Does Phantasm's knockback cause you a world of headaches for traps? My first ever character to 50 back in the day was an Illusion/Empathy, and I had a Mercs/Traps MM to 50 at one point, but it has been a long time.

Ice/Traps could be interesting. Ice is low damage, but here you would have tripmine and time bomb. And Ice also likes to be in melee, so your FF gen could be protecting your team mates in there. Plus detoggling arctic air is a real problem for Ice/, and FF gen negates that. Same would hold true for Electric control, yes?

I've got my illusion/traps to 36, and so far I have two different playstyles depending on the situation.  Running around with Superior Invisibility on, planting traps in the middle of spawns, summoning Phantom Army when available and using Web grenade for single target containment is my primary.  Works solo and in teams if you stay one spawn ahead.

Sometimes there's too much mez flying around, or your team is just steamrolling too fast.  That's when you sub out Superior Invisibility for summoning FFG and Phantasm, stick with the group to provide mez protection and generally play like a normal illusion controller.

Both work great and I'm having a ton of fun.  Trip Mine needs a Sudden Acceleration tho, cause it doesn't nuke a spawn so much as scatter it to the winds

Grav/Traps is nuts.

Steps to Win:

1) Find a corner nearby a huge group

2) Set up Trip Mine(s) just out from corner

3) Set up Poison Trap (loaded up with damage procs)

4) Set up Acid Mortar

5) Wormhole the whole group into the corner of death - everything blows up

6) Seekers (that you already had up) jump in

7) Everything is stunned

8) Sands of Mu - you hit about 5 or 6 in a good corner

9) Finish off Lts and bosses with Grav Distortion, Propel, Lift, and epic AoE of choice

Traps is one of the few times I genuinely want to see the developers nerf a set. It's just too good on a Controller.

I'd consider dropping Force Field Generator for Cloaking Device from Blaster Devices and leave the rest alone. Don't get me wrong, I love Force Field Generator, but it's way too good paired with the rest of this set. You could still pull some ridiculous stunts with this set but at least not while soft capped to all positions and protected vs most mezz.

When I realized that Controllers got Traps I really regretted rolling my Traps Defender. There's just too many fun ways to make traps work with Controllers that feels more "game play creative" than on a Defender.

The only downside is that it is such a late bloomer, but now that you can level up fairly rapidly... .wow. The way exemplaring works. .you should still have Poison Trap even for Positron's TF... I had Field Operative for my blaster... which is also a lvl 20 power.

Svengjuk, Formerly Alice, Empty Man, EM Riptide, Silver Mouse, and many more... SG: Hero Dawn