Psi Melee: How's Boggle?

Lazarillo

I put together a hypothetical build for a Psi/Electric Stalker in Pine's, only to realize after the fact that I forgot to include Boggle in the build.  Only thing is...I'm not really sure how good it is anyway?  I'm not above a good, well-placed Confuse, but it's got kind of a long windup time for someone who's mostly fighting it out at melee range.  I'm not sure if it can be used pre-emptively...does it break Hide?  If so, it seems right out.  I admit, I'm kind of hoping it's not worth it 'cause otherwise, I'm not sure, I might have to re-think my plans.  But at the same time, I don't want to feel like I'm shooting myself in the foot for skipping it.

It's flagged "Notify Mobs: Never", so it won't break Hide.

Honestly, if nothing else, a Confuse is great for a laugh and possibly a good place for some purple sets.

Buff Trick Arrows! | Buff Poison! | Powerset Suggestions: Circus Performers Telepathy | Old Powerset Suggestions:  Probability Distortion | Magnetism | Hyper-Intellect

Some day, the prophecy will be fulfilled; Trick Arrows will be buffed and I will finally be allowed to diehttps://twitter.com/trickshootah

The Strange Relationship between Damage Buffs and Damage Resistance OR "Why doesn't Power Boost work on Cold Shields!?"

Thanks guys.  Guess I should rethink it after all.  I took and slotted Air Superiority, but prolly don't need that later on with the two Psi Blades, TK Blow, and Assassin attack, so I can get the slots for it there (and just replace AS with Hover for the LotG bonus, since I want something for Afterburner), but I'm not sure what to drop otherwise.  I've heard Mass Levitate ain't great, but it's the only AoE in the set, and it's nice to have at least a bit.  Another option is Hasten, but it's giving me perma-Energize, so that'd be unfortunate, but it might be my best choice.  That, or changing travel pools.

At least this gives me a step in the right direction.

I dropped the psi's powers into a dps calculator, and the best attack chain is probably AS-GPB-PB-TB-PB-repeat. I would work to build enough recharge to use that and S/L/M def to softcap, 45%. Bonus if E/N/R def to 32.5%.

1zxaxkm.png

I am currently playing a Psi Melee/Willpower stalker and I recently took Boggle. I left it until later because I didn't feel I needed it but I finally had room for a "whatever" pick. It is just ok but it's definitely not bad; baseline accuracy, 20 second base cooldown, 15 second duration, mag 3, range is 40'. For a confuse not on a controller, the numbers are quite good. Now that my character is closing in on 30, it is nice to have a tool to keep one extra foe busy. I've also done things like Boggled a mob standing near a glowie I am going to click so he remains friendly while I'm briefly visible.

I noticed in the power description of Boggle that it gives a bonus chance of you getting Insight if you attack a mob you've Boggled and I think that the designer thought that would be A Thing. But it's actually not. The Insight mechanic the set uses is not rare to trigger, and it has a lockout period afterwards. So a lot of the time I'm in Insight Lockout, and if I'm not in lockout I'll be back in Insight mode soon normally. By the time I'm ready to melee a boggled foe, I'm probably in lockout. If killing a foe with Boggle on it removed Insight Lockout early instead of increasing the chance of getting Insight, it's value would drastically rise.

Note that while Insight adds a psi DoT to most of the attacks in the set, it instead powers up Greater Psi Blade into a stronger version. It feels a lot like having a second Assassin's Strike it's such a big difference; not only is GPB a big damage dealer it's also a mag 3 melee hold. The Insight powerup boosts both direct damage and the hold duration, making it a very strong tool; it does however consume Insight upon use and trigger the lockout period. So, when figuring out an attack chain it may be best to juggle GPB later in the chain to get that beta strike effect.

Overall I think this is a really good set for Stalkers. Telekinetic Blow has a quick, satisfying animation and reliable knockdown for control, Boggle is a control option, GPB has a hold, and Mass Levitate looks good for planting a whole crowd on their butts.  The attacks have good animations and feel like impactful attacks, the sole exception is Mental Strike which feels too weak. I know, I know, it's one of those fast charging low damage filler attacks, but even so this one feels "too weak" to be worthwhile; I stuck a proc in mine. If the proc fires, it's double damage. I am kind of thinking I will be dropping it once I get just a little more recharge in my other attacks. I am just only using it if I run out of powers on cooldown or I have a foe that's barely not-dead (and getting more damage into my other attacks will take care of THAT problem).

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

• 4 weeks later

I love it and it's the main reason I just can't give up psi.  Confusing a lt. for a good deal of time is really nice, especially if they're a Tsoo sorcerer, or a force field generator or something of the like.  In a protracted battle, it's a little hard to use, but it's excellent to start off with from hide.