Use that like button

Lunchmoney

2 hours ago, Shazzie said:

Unless other people see something besides empty boxes at the end of the sections I copy/pasted above (within quote marks). Please elucidate.

Those are, as PK notes, emoticons / emoji.  What I typed was : and ), right next to each other.  Thatproduces a little "smiley face" icon.

Below is a screencap of your post, as I see it.  I can only speculate that your computer, for whatever reason, is not displaying emoji correctly; that little box means "I am unable to correctly display this character" ...

shazzle.jpg

• Like 3

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

4 hours ago, Shazzie said:

Thanks, PK & PaxArcana. I'm running Chrome... I must have something running in it that's disabling them. I'll have to look into it.

If it helps, I'm in Chrome and everything is displaying correctly. Have you got a blocker of some type?

• Thanks 1

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

8 hours ago, Shazzie said:

Thanks, PK & PaxArcana. I'm running Chrome... I must have something running in it that's disabling them. I'll have to look into it.

If you want to see if a Chrome add-on is the issue, just open a new incognito tab, and check there.  Add-ons are disabled in incognito mode

• Thanks 1

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I am running uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger, but both have always been disabled for this site. I tested in Incognito, and I'm still seeing the empty square. Thank you all for responding, even if it's just my computer being a nutcase about... smiley faces, of all things.  O.o

Just now, Shazzie said:

I am running uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger, but both have always been disabled for this site. I tested in Incognito, and I'm still seeing the empty square. Thank you all for responding, even if it's just my computer being a nutcase about... smiley faces, of all things.  O.o

If you tested in INCOGNITO mode then it's

1.) An issue with Chrome itself - maybe an uninstall/reinstall

2.) An issue with your PC...no clue where to go there...AV issue maybe?

• Thanks 1

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

One possibility is that you're missing the right unicode Font (that's how Emojis are handled, as b est I can tell).

Another, is that your Chrome is not up to date (I actually JUST updated to version 76.0.3809.87 ...).

And, as GM Capocollo just asked, what OS are you using (and how up to date is it) ...?

• Thanks 1

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

Windows 7, but that's going to have to change soon. Husband and I have always had a really recalcitrant reaction to changing OSes, but we're not going to continue to use one past its EoL. It's up to date, and Chrome is, as well.

ETA: I HAVE seen some emojis here and there in other posts.

Edited by Shazzie

Win7...?

That's likely the problem.  Unicode has evolved out from under you; I think Win7 was last compatible with Unicode 6 ... well, they're up to Unicode 10 now.  The ones you're not seeing have obviously changed 'twixt then and now.

Win10 has been just fine for me (for some five years, now), and if you jump that far ahead, you should be good for not upgrading for at least another four or five years.  🙂  Hopefully, anyway!

• Thanks 1

Thanks so much!

There's few things that hubby & I consistently drag our feet on, but switching to new OSes has always been THE #1 'to the bitter end' thing with either of us (due to multiple cases if Really Bad Experiences for each of us ages ago BEFORE we became OS curmudgeons).

ETA: Sadly, still seeing a box with Chromoji. I shall simply have to assume all boxes are happy smiley faces from now on, because that's the only one I know FOR CERTAIN is displaying as a box.

Edited by Shazzie

Interesting. Another path you can take to troubleshoot this is to see if it's somehow related to your internet connection, have you tried switching to a cell phone based wifi hotspot and see if you have the same results on the same computer? It sounds crazy but it's a possibility. 

• Confused 1
I'm out.

PK, it's like, 99.9999% that the problem is due to Shazzie still using Win7.

Mainstream support for Win7 ended over four years ago - that means it hasn't been getting updates as Unicode has changed and grown.

Edited by PaxArcana

On 7/29/2019 at 6:59 AM, Lunchmoney said:

In the bottom right corner of each post is a little button that can be clicked to show you like a post (it has a few other options as well). If you like a post, hit that button 🙂

All I can hear reading that title is "SMASH that like button....In the face! LIKE A BOSS!"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, THEDarkTyger said:

All I can hear reading that title is "SMASH that like button....In the face! LIKE A BOSS!"

It's a proven fact that Arch-Villains will fall 22% faster if you "like" them...

Also Defense Soft Cap gets raised 1% with every like as well...

"Likes" are the new endgame...

Edited by justicebeliever
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, THEDarkTyger said:

... Mister Torgue?  Is that you?

:D