Damage procs in damage aura powers.

sushiloving123

Here is a link for more information on procs: Testing On How Procs Per Minute (PPM) Really Works

The expectation for procs in damage auras are as follows:

ActivatePeriod = 10 sec (this is for all procs in damage toggles, even if the activate period in the actual toggle is less)

Probability to Proc = PPM x ActivatePeriod / (60 x AreaFactor)

AreaFactor = 1 + 0.75x0.15xRadius

For Blazing Aura, I believe the radius is 8 feet, so the probability to proc on each target every 10 seconds is:

Prob = 3.5 x 10 / (60 x 1.9) = 30.7%

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

Activation Period for a power is the time between pulses. For Blazing Aura, I believe it is 2 seconds (you see damage ticks every 2 seconds). However, damage procs no longer are checked every 2 seconds (or whatever the Activation Period would be), instead it uses a 10 second period, so the proc will only activate once per 10 seconds. The proc probability will use that 10 seconds for its calculations.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

So to reword then. Does this mean an enemy has to be in my damage aura for 10 seconds before the proc has a chance to hit it? Because that would be pretty much worthless for anything other than AVs. Or does it mean there's a chance to proc when the enemy enters the aura and then not again for 10 seconds, which would be just short of worthless. Or does it automatically have a chance to proc every 10 seconds without regard to whether an enemy is there or whether it's been there for 10 seconds?

Number Six provided some insight in how this works in another post.  Here's the link:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/5290-testing-on-how-procs-per-minute-ppm-really-works/?do=findComment&comment=66775

Basically, if my own understanding is correct then once the proc is checked there is a 10 second interval before it will check again.  After that interval passes, it will check at the aura's next tick.  So hypothetically (I don't think anyone has posted test results for damage aura procs yet?) this would mean that if your aura has not hit anything for 10+ seconds then it would check for proc the next time it does damage, then 10 seconds after that and so on.  If I get time I will try to test and verify this soon.

@Veelectric Boogaloo I had a chance to do an initial pass at testing this today.  Still need to gather more data to finalize numbers and conclusions, but here's a link to my specific comment in The Great Proc Thread of 2019 summarizing early findings:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/5290-testing-on-how-procs-per-minute-ppm-really-works/?do=findComment&comment=68136

• Like 1

• 2 months later

I made a similar post in the scrapper forum, but found this one so I’ll ask here as well. Bottom line, which is better for a damage toggle, from a standpoint of damage - slotting to maximize the damage of the power itself, or slotting (potentially multiple) damage procs?

For example, it could be slotted with the full multi strike set, which would be roughly a 100% increase to base damage, or it could be slotted with the acc/dmg, dmg/end, and acc/dmg/end options from that set, which would be about a 75% damage increase, plus three damage procs from other sets.

Maybe somebody better at maths can actually figure it out, but just eyeballing it seems what you would get out of the procs would be better than a 25% full time damage increase. For the sake of argument, ignore set bonuses.