Best partner for a Will Power/Staff Tanker.

eetorres76

A friend and I want to do a "Dynamic Duo" partnership and level up together as a two-person team. He is playing a Will Power / Staff Fighting Tanker.

What would be the most complimentary and effective archetype and power set to play along side him?  I was thinking an empathy defender, or would some kind of controller be better?

Sonic defender would be my preference.  Sonic barrier and haven play to your strengths.  Disruption field is very nice.  For playing with him, at least, you will be able to skip Sonic Repulsion, and powers you are free to skip mean more build freedom.  An underrated set that works very nicely with resistance based characters. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

WP relies on a lot of layered protections (some resists, solid regen, little bit of defense) with none of them being over the top. Given that, I'd look at something that can plug a lot of holes while also bringing reasonable damage.

With that in mind, my gut instinct is to go with a Corruptor. On the primary side, you've got plenty of options. For duoing I would lean toward Fire/ (all the damage), Dark/ (tacks on -acc) or Water/ (good soft controls). For secondaries I'd gravitate to /Rad or /Time. Both sets have toggles that lower foe damage and acc, which would help let WP's layers do their thing, and they bring a good variety of other effects as well.

@Cutter

So many alts, so little time...

20 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

What are the holes of a WP/staff tanker?

With a basic IO build, WP is looking at reasonable S/L resists (and OK Psi resists), middling E/N/F/C defenses, and a strong regen core. It's low or lacking in native coverage of the other resists/defenses not mentioned. Sets of course make up a lot of difference, but I was basing my explanation on a basic build. I prolly should have stated that...

@Cutter

So many alts, so little time...

Thank you all for the replies and for turning my attention to corrupters and sonics. Those are options I probably would have never considered.  I ended up making a Archery/Sonic corrupter. I acknowledge that Archery its not the best DPS, but it just looks so cool and is thematically well-suited to the character concept.

Thanks again for the input and cheers!

On 8/21/2019 at 2:17 AM, kenlon said:

The best accompaniment for any Tanker is a blaster. We have no DPS. They have no survivability. It works perfectly.

Wouldn't a Corruptor be the next best thing? I mean they're basically inverted Defenders, right?

5 hours ago, eetorres76 said:

Wouldn't a Corruptor be the next best thing? I mean they're basically inverted Defenders, right?

The main difference will be that the blaster has more damage potential than corrupter with aim/build up. But honestly I find the support that the corrupter brings to the table more than makes up for the lack of build up. Especially if you are running secondary that has some good buffs in it

Edited by Seigmoraig

On 8/23/2019 at 6:09 AM, eetorres76 said:

Blasters are more raw damage. Tankers don't need the buff support - a Corrupter/Brute combo is very good, though.

Not gonna lie, I had a hell of a time duo-ing my Willpower/Staff Tanker with a Robotics/Time Master Mind. With all the defense, controlling and healing there just wasn't anything that could touch us. The hardest part was all the damn noise the bot's make.

Odd combo, but was about as fun as it gets for me.

A stalker could be an interesting match for a tanker - let the tanker grab aggro, then the stalker sneaks in and assassinates the high-priority targets.  Another interesting match-up would be a controller that may be a bit lacking in the hard control department, such as an illusionist.