Consume not working

Vanden

Several times now I've used the Consume power on my Fiery Aura Brute in range of mobs, and seen it restore little to no endurance. I have no idea what's going on with it, unfortunately. All I can say is that I can see in the combat log that it never hit anything, even though I was in range of enemies.

Edited by Vanden

Just to rule this out, have you slotted it with Accuracy? It's not autohit like the other EndDrain/EndGain powers.

Buff Trick Arrows! | Buff Poison! | Powerset Suggestions: Circus Performers Telepathy | Old Powerset Suggestions:  Probability Distortion | Magnetism | Hyper-Intellect

Some day, the prophecy will be fulfilled; Trick Arrows will be buffed and I will finally be allowed to diehttps://twitter.com/trickshootah

The Strange Relationship between Damage Buffs and Damage Resistance OR "Why doesn't Power Boost work on Cold Shields!?"

3 minutes ago, Vanden said:

According to the combat log, it's autohit.

It technically is, but each effect is still flagged with a tohit check.

Buff Trick Arrows! | Buff Poison! | Powerset Suggestions: Circus Performers Telepathy | Old Powerset Suggestions:  Probability Distortion | Magnetism | Hyper-Intellect

Some day, the prophecy will be fulfilled; Trick Arrows will be buffed and I will finally be allowed to diehttps://twitter.com/trickshootah

The Strange Relationship between Damage Buffs and Damage Resistance OR "Why doesn't Power Boost work on Cold Shields!?"

3 minutes ago, Vanden said:

Then why does the combat log say it's autohit on the targets?

I can only guess, but that message might be automatically generated when a power has an EntsAutoHit valued assigned. So in this case, Consume does have Foe listed as being autohit by the power, so the game would think that this message is appropriate, but each effect except the Res(Recovery) is individually flagged to only occur if you succeed a ToHit check.

Except Dark Consumption is also not Auto-Hit.

Basically there are three components to both of these Powers.

To-Hit Check to apply the Attack portion of the Power to enemy targets within range.  This applies the Damage portion.

If that is successful, then the Endurance Drain effect is "Autohit" on the target which was successfully Damaged.

Then there's another Autohit effect on yourself for each target which you stole Endurance from, granting you some Endurance.

36 minutes ago, MetaVileTerror said:

Except Dark Consumption is also not Auto-Hit.

Basically there are three components to both of these Powers.

To-Hit Check to apply the Attack portion of the Power to enemy targets within range.  This applies the Damage portion.

If that is successful, then the Endurance Drain effect is "Autohit" on the target which was successfully Damaged.

Then there's another Autohit effect on yourself for each target which you stole Endurance from, granting you some Endurance.

That's not the story Red Tomax tells. On the page for Consume, the endurance recovery portion says "20 Endurance (after 0.25 second delay) If (@ToHitRoll < @ToHit) or @ForceHit". On the page for Dark Consumption, it only says " 25 Endurance (after 0.25 second delay)", no mention of a ToHit roll.

Edited by Vanden

For clarity, both powers roll a tohit check when activated, but only Dark Consumption’s is reported because it doesn’t have entities that are autohit.

For Dark Consumption, if that roll is successful, all effects of the power happen at once. If it fails, none happen.

For Consume, if that hidden roll is successful, all effects of the power happen at once. If it fails, then only the Res(Recovery) is granted. Consume is set up this way so that a fiery aura player will always at least get the debuff protection. They otherwise function effectively the same.

3 hours ago, Vanden said:

That's not the story Red Tomax tells. On the page for Consume, the endurance recovery portion says "20 Endurance (after 0.25 second delay) If (@ToHitRoll < @ToHit) or @ForceHit".

IIRC "@Forcehit" is streakbreaker. So it's saying the effect is applied if you succeed the roll "If(@TohitRoll < @Tohit)" or if streakbreaker kicks in. 

41 minutes ago, William Valence said:

IIRC "@Forcehit" is streakbreaker. So it's saying the effect is applied if you succeed the roll "If(@TohitRoll < @Tohit)" or if streakbreaker kicks in. 

Yes, I understood that. My point was there was no "if" condition listed for Dark Consumption.

6 minutes ago, Vanden said:

Yes, I understood that. My point was there was no "if" condition listed for Dark Consumption.

Gotcha, I think I see why.

Dark consumption doesn't have an entities autohit tag, so like @Trickshooter said it only cares about the tohit roll. Consume has an entities autohit "Foe"  which guarantees the endurance resistance. If the power didn't hit you wouldn't get that, so they make the power autohit, and skim the attack roll to see if the other effects apply.

• Thanks 1